Wait a few more days or push through?

Options
Hello. I need some advice I was ill from 5/18 til here just recently with a really bad sinus infection that wouldn't go away. Not to mention I have asthma so that didn't help. I feel the best I have today since I got sick so I decided to start exercising again. I am really discouraged after my workout. If feels as though I am starting all over again. I can tell my arms and legs got softer while on my break. Although I did manage to loose one pound. Today when exercising, I spent 10 minutes on the stair climber and it totally whooped my butt. I had to take 3 20 second breaks during the 10 minutes to catch my breath. Should I just continue and do as much as I can and work my way back up to my normal routine or just hit it harder tomorrow to thow my body back into exercise mode? Thanks for the advice.

Replies

• jill5280
    jill5280 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor and that is the person to give you the best advice. I have found that when I take a break from exercising for whatever reason, I feel the loss of being able to start back where I left off, but I also find that if I am gentle with myself, I gain that momentum back quickly. Not sure that pushing harder is the best idea given that you are just coming back from an illness, but I do think that doing something will move you back quickly to where you were.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I am where you are. I was sick with sinus infection, bronchitis and an ear infection since about the same time as you, Mid May. I am just starting to get back into things and find myself in the place you are. Your body has been ill and needs to get back into the grove of things. Dont push it too hard or youll get sick again. Its pretty much like starting over. Just take it one day at a time and listen to your body!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    After taking time off from exercise, especially after an illness it is important to ease back into it. It is natural to want to start back where you left off, but honestly after a couple weeks off and being sick, your body isn't conditioned anymore for that level of stress. I suggest you ease back into it and gradually build back to your previous fitness level. If you push your body too hard too fast, you will set yourself up for an injury which will probably have you sidelined for an even longer period. Don't be discouraged, just listen to your body and slowly build back up.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    My advice is work your way back up, it doesn't do you any good to try to push through. In fact you may end up injuring yourself more that way. You'll be surprised at how fast you're back up to speed!