Chicken Salad Recipe ideas please!

Options
Sooo I got a George Foreman for xmas (sweet!), and I'm ready to start grillin'!

i love, love LOVE chicken salad and am ready to grill some chicken for it. but i want to make one that won't use up half of my calories in one sitting.
recipe ideas please?

and any george foreman ideas would be super too!

Replies

• abbylove08
    Options
    Sooo I got a George Foreman for xmas (sweet!), and I'm ready to start grillin'!

i love, love LOVE chicken salad and am ready to grill some chicken for it. but i want to make one that won't use up half of my calories in one sitting.
    recipe ideas please?

and any george foreman ideas would be super too!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have a Geo Forman too and use it all the time!

Use low fat mayonnaise in your basic diced chicken salad and there is NO way you can do any 'damage'. Chicken's about the best tasting, lowest calorie bang for your buck on the market! I eat it all the time. At first, low fat mayo is not the best tasting thing in the world, but I developed a taste for it, and that saved my butt!! To cover the taste a little, I use curry powder in my recipe (yummy), and if you're feeling adventureous, you can either add raisins or diced apple to that mix. NOM NOM.
  • kjbenton
    Options
    Hi! I have a really yummy chicken salad sandwich recipe! I think its around 230 calories....which isnt too much for a lunch and with out the bread it would be even less.

I make a big bowl of it though and eat it through out the week.

Basically its 1 - 2 small chicken breasts diced or one 15oz canned chicken, one gala apple diced, 1 & 3/4 cups grapes cut in half, one celery stalk (you can use more if you like celery but I'm not a huge fan), 2 tbsp of pecans, 2 tbs low fat light mayo, and 2 tbsp light whipped cream. Then I put it on 2 pieces of whole wheat bread. YUMMY!

(then I eat one cup of salad on the side)
  • tdenotter
    tdenotter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Grilled Chicken
    Romain Lettuce
    Favorite Cheese Shredded
    Tomato
    Cucumbers
    Bell Peppers (Your Choice)
    Sun Flower Seeds
    Balsamic Vinigarette

Grilled Chicken
    Romaine Lettuce
    Strawberries
    1 can Mandarine Oranges
    Pecans
    Poppy Seed Raspberry Vinigarette * Add the juice from the orange can* (any type of poppyseed dressing combined with any type of raspberry vinigarette)
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I substitute low-fat reduced-calorie poppy seed dressing for mayo in my chicken salad - super yummy and use purple seedless grapes, celery and pecans. Muy delicioso! I've also flavored it with other dressings i.e. honey dijon, raspberry vinigerette, and even pickle juice! Be creative and try different combos in little bite size chunks.

I love my grill too - I use it for lunch alot to make quesidillas on a La Tortilla Factory's Smart and Delicious whole wheat garlic and herb tortillas (50 calories and high fiber) folded over some grilled chicken with salsa and a peice of low-fat cheese. mmmmmmmm. Is it lunch time?
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    This is from Hungry Girl:

Ingredients:
    1 cup (about 4.5 oz.) cooked & roughly chopped skinless lean chicken breast
    1/2 cup chopped Persian or Kirby cucumber**
    1/3 cup red seedless grapes, halved
    1/3 cup chopped apple
    1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    2 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise
    1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda)
    1/4 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
    dash salt

Directions:
    Mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, sweetener, lemon pepper seasoning, and salt. Coat the chicken in this mixture, and then stir in the chopped cucumber, grape halves, and chopped apple. Then try not to pass out as you chow down on this insanely good chicken salad! MAKES 2 SERVINGS
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    Forgot to put the important info:
    Serving Size: half of recipe (about 1 cup)
    Calories: 145
    Fat: 1.5g
    Sodium: 332mg
    Carbs: 14g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 10g
    Protein: 21g

POINTS® value 3*
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I tried for years to find the perfect chx salad recipe with no luck. Then at a shower one day, I tasted it...the chx salad I was looking for.

She used Hellman's, but I use LIGHT Hellmans....NOT THE LOWFAT VERSION..
    red or green grapes (quartered)
    very finely chopped celery
    slivered almonds
    Chx breasts..I find that cooking them yourself is better than the canned chx
    Salt a pepper

Cook your chx, addy some mayo to you liking, add the celery, almonds and salt and pepper. Mix it up really good and add grapes last as they will smoosh if you stir them too hard. I have also used apples and pecans instead of grapes and almonds. Good both ways. People always ask for my recipe. In fact I am making some tonight for a friend whose hubby had spine surgery today. She loves it and always asks me to make it for her!
  • Shopaholic82
    Options
    My favorite Chicken Salad :
    Grilled Chicken ( you can buy the one from grocery store)
    Celery sticks (Chopped)
    Onions (Chopped)
    Light Mayo
    Salt & Pepper

* you have to smash the chicken and all ingredients by hands, that's the secret method..lol
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin to my topics:bigsmile:

Thanks all for the ideas :flowerforyou:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    bumpin to my topics:bigsmile:

Thanks all for the ideas :flowerforyou:

these sound yummy!

:heart:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I always add some dill to my chicken salad. Tastes great!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Bamboo that sounds yummy going to try that one myself. You can also try a little tarragon. A little goes a long way if it is dried.
  • abbylove08
    Options
    thank you, thank you, thank you!

i cant wait to try ALL of these!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Bamboo that sounds yummy going to try that one myself. You can also try a little tarragon. A little goes a long way if it is dried.

a friend of mine uses tarragon in hers and loves it. I have not tried it yet, but maybe I need to!
  • ladybug3
    Options
    Bump:tongue:
  • lpadilla75
    Options
    I tried for years to find the perfect chx salad recipe with no luck. Then at a shower one day, I tasted it...the chx salad I was looking for.

She used Hellman's, but I use LIGHT Hellmans....NOT THE LOWFAT VERSION..
    red or green grapes (quartered)
    very finely chopped celery
    slivered almonds
    Chx breasts..I find that cooking them yourself is better than the canned chx
    Salt a pepper

Cook your chx, addy some mayo to you liking, add the celery, almonds and salt and pepper. Mix it up really good and add grapes last as they will smoosh if you stir them too hard. I have also used apples and pecans instead of grapes and almonds. Good both ways. People always ask for my recipe. In fact I am making some tonight for a friend whose hubby had spine surgery today. She loves it and always asks me to make it for her!

That sounds delicious!
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have a similar recipe, but it has more ingredients, and it's AWESOME... this makes a TON...

5 cups shredded chicken breast
    1 TBSP veg oil (you can omit to save calories)
    1 TBSP orange juice
    1 TBSP vinegar
    1 1/2 cups celery, diced
    1 1/2 cups grapes, sliced (I use red grapes to make it prettier)
    1 can drained mandarin oranges
    3/4 can of crushed pineapple
    1 small pkg of slivered almonds
    3 cups cooked and cooled white rice
    1 cup mayo (I use light mayo)

just throw it all together, it's best if it's had time to sit overnight and get really cold.. I have several people that require me to bring this when we get together in the summer...

I don't know the nutrition information b/c it makes so much it's hard to judge how many servings it is..
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    1 Grilled chicken breast
    2 c lettuce shreds
    1/2 c Cucumber slices
    5 broccoli florets

Dressing

2 Tbs Fat Free cottage cheese
    1 Tbs Fat Free sour cream
    1 Tbs Fat Free milk
    1 Tsp Hidden Valley Ranch mix

Option 1 put in a blender till smooth