How do you make peace with throwing food away?

Options

Replies

• withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I really needed this thread now. Thanks for starting it!
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Small bits of leftovers are often the easiest/best protein-heavy snacks or breakfasts for me. Often make a great 100-300 calorie meal that tides me over.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm too cheap to toss food, so I store in containers in fridge snd toss a week later.

:#
  • messiahs
    messiahs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have major problems with throwing away food/leaving things on my plate as well. I will eat other people's leftovers too because I know it will go in the garbage, so why not go in me instead?! It's such a horrific habit. I don't know if I enjoy eating or if I'm eating for the sake of it, at times. I used to think it was because I didn't want to be wasteful, but I know it's because it's just there. Waiting for me to eat it. Why wouldn't I?

It's such an aggravating habit and it's damn near impossible to break, quite honestly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    While wasting food isn't good, don't feel guilted into eating more than you want/need. This can especially be hard on beginners to portion control. People of course fall into the "starving children in Africa" cycle. Eating it isn't going to do you any good. A lot of great suggestions on what to do with leftovers have been offered here, I would definitely jot down a few.

I got that as a kid and have now started using "trees are dying in California" when people waste water.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Saving for lunch or a "leftover dinner" because I don't feel like cooking is what I do. I hate wasting food! It has nothing to do with starving children Africa it has to do with the fact that I work hard, I worked hard to get my degree and now I work harder using it. I don't like throwing money in the trash :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I'm too cheap to toss food, so I store in containers in fridge snd toss a week later.

That is *precisely* what happened to me when I tried to be really "good" about this. Wasted water as well, washing those mini storage containers that get lost between and behind things.

There's no point in storing 10-20 grams of chicken thigh imo. A couple of baby potatoes, yes those would find a home in an omelette later.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

That is *precisely* what happened to me when I tried to be really "good" about this. Wasted water as well, washing those mini storage containers that get lost between and behind things.

There's no point in storing 10-20 grams of chicken thigh imo. A couple of baby potatoes, yes those would find a home in an omelette later.

I'd just like to know what it's like to be that full. Anything that small (as described by the OP) is instantly getting gobbled up
  • tomatoey
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I'd just like to know what it's like to be that full. Anything that small (as described by the OP) is instantly getting gobbled up

I have a diet plan I could share with you for the low, low price of $9.99 a month ;)

(Just kidding, no one flag me please)

(But it involves lots of steaks )
  • Chubby_to_Cut
    Chubby_to_Cut Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Think of it like - are you fueling my body to stay around longer or cutting me down for momentarily "high" like moment?

Plus you can always curse each out as you toss for anyone whose disapproved of what you do or people you dated. Lol

Just some suggestions
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get a dog.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I only buy and cook enough for myself, hubby, and kiddo. Granted, my hubby doesn't necessarily eat the same way I do, so I still have to cook a small amount of something different to go with whatever we're having, but that's for my sanity and our budget. Any leftovers, which are rare and usually because my daughter didn't feel like eating, go to the dog. Meal planning is a wonderful tool to use when it comes to saving money or reducing waste.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Compost, or get some pets that can eat the leftover food. Chickens can eat about everything.

YES! I keep 3 laying hens, and they LOVE leftovers.

I give them everything/anything except chicken, (meat or broth) somehow feeding chickens chicken meat is just wrong!

They love warmed up leftover soup or stew in the winter.

I make hot oatmeal for my chickens in winter, lol! In summer, they get frozen fruit to cool them down. They are totally spoiled :)

• Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    stray cats dont seem to mind.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »

yeah but it's not just stray cats, it could be raccoons or pigeons or god knows what
  • Werk2Eat
    Options

yeah but it's not just stray cats, it could be raccoons or pigeons or god knows what

Even better, god created all living creatures equal.

• tomatoey
    Options

Even better, god created all living creatures equal.

They're not all currently equally pestilent, though. I forgot rats
  • Werk2Eat
    edited September 2015
    Options

You do realize humans are more pestilent then any other creature on planet earth?

• Verivus
    Verivus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't like throwing food away. I think it's wasteful and, given the massive environmental impact of food production, I generally try to avoid it all costs.

Our family pre-plans our weekly menu with an eye towards eliminating waste; dishes later in the week tend to incorporate ingredients from earlier meals. We often have meals entirely comprised of leftovers. We do a big shopping trip on weekends and then buy meat and produce fresh on the day we're eating it to avoid spoilage.

At a restaurant, my wife and I will split an entree since we're virtually guaranteed a serving size big enough for two people ('Murica). If not, we'll take leftovers home and turn it into a lunch.

At home, I weigh the food going on my plate and eat all of it. It's pre-logged, so I know the whole plate fits my calorie goal and I know I have to eat it all to reach my macros/micros.

I've found that preparation is key. A good meal plan, efficient shopping, and pre-logging have really helped us cut down on the wasted food.

I'm with you. I have leftovers all the time when I cook so I don't have to cook every day. I absolutely hate throwing away perfectly good food. So wasteful.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options

You do realize humans are more pestilent then any other creature on planet earth?

Yes, but I've had my shots *shrug*

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that feeding wild or feral animals in human areas might encourage them to stick around, and that seems like it could be problematic