Options
2»

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    Because some people need a larger deficit to lose. Accordingly eating back hurts me.

It does not matter though, this is my experience. As the OP asked.

Your experience is trumped by science.

My experience includes science.

Then you would understand that a calorie is a measure of energy and that stored fat has a known number of calories per unit of weight. If you think you "need a larger deficit to lose" ... you are wrong. Science trumps your statement.

^^^100% this.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't. And I try to get a walk or some other activity in in the evening if I am close to my calorie limits for the day. Just me, but that motivates me to move the body more.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    MFP creates the deficit needed to lose without factoring exercise into the equation. It is designed for people to eat back what they actually burn to keep that equation balanced.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I select a tool to do a specific job I tend to use the tool as designed.
    Seems a bit dumb to do otherwise.

So yes I ate back my exercise calories when losing and of course also when maintaining.
  • tiffanygordon1111
    Options
    Right now I eat them. I don't always eat all of them, it's more listen to my body based. I've only been doing this for 2.5 weeks faithfully and I'm down 4 lbs. I have quite a bit to lose and The weight has always come off fast in the beginning of I'm at a high weight. I had two kids in 19 months, so it's time to reclaim my body :).
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do not. For me, it feels like why did I work out. But if eating them back works for you, I say go for it! I definitely am not in the eat more to weigh less camp because it does work for me.

Same here!!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    What I usually recommend is (if you are not set to a super high deficit) to start by eating back 50% of your exercise calories and adjust according to your weight of loss. So if after a month you've lost more than expected, eat back a higher percentage. If losing less, tighten up your logging :D
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I was very overweight and did pretty consistent cardio, yes. Now that I'm leaner, and rarely do cardio-no. If I pedal on a bike or something, I know I'm not getting a big calorie burn so I try to keep it real with myself.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends how accurate you are with your food logging. If you're just eyeballing, you're often better off not eating them to make sure you're still keeping a deficit (as people tend to underestimate their food intake).
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat maybe 75% of mine back normally. I'm set to lose 2 lbs a week, and if I workout but don't eat them back, then my deficit is set to 3 or 4 pounds a week. Also, if I'm working out a lot, I tend to be hungrier. Eating the calories back in healthy foods prevents me from going crazy on sweets and whatnot later on.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I eat them back. Not 100%, but I try to eat most of them.

If we compare theoretical weight loss vs actual weight loss, I'm 1.5lb ahead of schedule (over 16 weeks), or I could have eaten 5250 calories more and stuck to my planned schedule.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    What I usually recommend is (if you are not set to a super high deficit) to start by eating back 50% of your exercise calories and adjust according to your weight of loss. So if after a month you've lost more than expected, eat back a higher percentage. If losing less, tighten up your logging :D

Yeah, this. Experiment, give it a 2-3 weeks, then adjust. If you log carefully & consistently, experimenting will give you the exact right answer for *you*.

I've lost about 2 pounds a week steadily, until I started trying to slow down (closing in on goal), and I ate back nearly all my exercise calories. However, I estimate exercise very conservatively (based on HRM or similar custom-set device), and am set at sedentary activity level.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Only half.
  • Reerdaber
    Reerdaber Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't ! And getting great results ^_^ Unless im hungry Ill eat a little more if I really want to