does friendship work?

Options
smhglz
smhglz Posts: 15 Member
How being friends with other participants can help loosing weight?

Replies

• lauren6967
    lauren6967 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Encouragement and support. Advice on weight lose tools, or programs. Hearing that you're not alone in your struggle. Seeing someone else be successful. I think support and accountability can make a big difference. :)
  • smhglz
    smhglz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    But what if non of the people you know is using the app or no one accepts friend request from strangers. then what's the point?
    besides, there are not much information that you receive from others except that they are loosing weight, eating less and burning calories. When no one gets any data about the ingredients or details of what I am eating, how they can help?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Friends offer encouragement and advice.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,912 Member
    Options
    Some people thrive on having the support, encouragement, etc. of friends ... others are just as happy to do things by themselves.

It's not necessary to have friends here ... do what works for you.
  • sarahcav123
    sarahcav123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I don't really know any of my personal friends who use this but I still managed to network on here and find people who have similar goals. Seeing their progress can be very motivating. Plus you can share advice and motivate each other. Feel free to add me :)
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    A spotter for when I bench.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    smhglz wrote: »
    When no one gets any data about the ingredients or details of what I am eating, how they can help?

If you open up your diary people CAN see details about what you eat.

• rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out in groups e.g. boot camps. You have a good laugh and its fun
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm a loner type, as far as getting things done, but it's nice to have people to chat and share experiences with for the sake of socializing. There are very few people in my monkeysphere who actually give a poo about how much less fat I am. MFP provides a nice platform to discuss it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have a smallish group of friends here. Many I would love to meet in real life. We chat through PM when we are feeling stressed and we support each other. I rarely offer my thoughts on someone's food diary, unless they ask. My own is not a beacon of best choices, but it is what it is. When you send a friend request, add a little message. "I saw you in the boards. You started where I am and have made great progress. Could you share some pointers?" Or you can start a thread asking for supportive friends.

I don't tend to add people unless I have interacted with them here, we have mutual friends, or they have added a note with some shared interests.

Many people do well without friends. For me, I think it is my friends here who have kept me coming back. Even through difficult times when I shopped logging and got off track. I can say that at least I haven't gained back everything I lost, because MFP and my goals remain close in my mind.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I never understood the point of friends in an online forum. The whole point is to post something so everyone can see it and reply.

I've rejected all friend requests on MFP. Unless a person offers to drive you to the airport or help you move to a new apartment, they're not your friend.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Well, OK, Mr. Grumpypants! ;) Sometimes your real life friends can't relate to your weight loss or fitness journey. Here, at least, you know others are likely in the same boat. If you don't want friends, then don't accept/invite. If you do, you might open yourself up to meeting some really cool people.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    When I first started back again on MFP after having no friends the first time around, I also questioned the value of friendship and made negative statements about this not being Facebook. It really isn't. It is so much more. I learn so much from my friends and my friends keep me sharp. If I am having a lazy day and I see a whole bunch of my friends hitting it hard exercising, it encourages me to exercise as well. If I am having a rough day at work, it's great to see so many people with such positive energy. It's like a virtual workout club and I am very grateful that I made the decision to friend people I have something in common with. This time around I have had such a wonderful experience and though I have reached my goals, I have no plans of going anywhere as of right now.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I lurked here for a long time before signing up. When I eventually signed up I didn't want friends here being an introvert and all.

Then I started to meet friendly like-minded people and enjoyed lovely conversations. Then my friend's list began to grow.

In my offline life no one understands what it takes to lose and keep off a significant amount of weight loss, let alone wanting to be fit and healthy. Plus I do not talk about or bring up weight or fitness-related topics with anyone unless they ask a question.

Having and giving support has been nice. I'm so glad I opened up because I have met some wonderful people here. :)
  • b0urb0
    b0urb0 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I belive friend is not the right word for it and it being too personal it scares some people off (myself included) but you you see it as "weight loss partner" or supporter. Having doing it by myself on a off for a long time I know i'm good to go for 2 weeks then i start skipping meals...days...weeks...then im off. Then I remember, damn MFP works i need to stick to it. Having weight loss buddies can keep you on MFP and seeing others achievements might just motivate you and when someone slips a bit, you encourage each other and it might be enough to get them or yourself back on track. It's not about being "friends" it's about SUPPORT. You don't have to share pics or anything and actually it might be better that you dont know those friends in real life, I personally wouldn't wanna share my whole menu with people I see everyday or coworkers, but I don't mind doing it with an mfp user across the world which might support me, but which i probably won't meet. You open your profile up but you share what you want so you retain a certain level of privacy. That's how i feel about it anyway.

That being said, this time around I would like to try the "friends" road so if anyone feels like it or share my view feel free to add me.

Thanks.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I don't really know any of my personal friends who use this but I still managed to network on here and find people who have similar goals. Seeing their progress can be very motivating. Plus you can share advice and motivate each other.

^ This!

I joined MFP strictly for the calorie counting application but that in the end that has proven to be a minor feature to me. Discovering the social side of MFP has been far more rewarding and is a completely unexpected benefit of this place.

Some people I've followed due to shared interests while others I've followed because they set an inspiring example.

Let's not forget that putting your life out there for all to see has a certain motivational influence all on its own.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    I never understood the point of friends in an online forum. The whole point is to post something so everyone can see it and reply.

I've rejected all friend requests on MFP. Unless a person offers to drive you to the airport or help you move to a new apartment, they're not your friend.

Nope. That's not the whole point. That may be your choice but not mine.

I have a select few friends here who are amazing with their support and encouragement and I provide the same back to them. We have helped each other lose hundreds of pounds, combined.

And we post to each other in private because quite frankly it's no ones business but our own.

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    > I have a select few friends here who are amazing with their support

They're not your friends. They're someone who clicked on a link.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    > I have a select few friends here who are amazing with their support

They're not your friends. They're someone who clicked on a link.

And you know this how? Do you know anything about us and how often we connect? Unless you do, I suggest you know nothing.

Good luck to you. Sounds like you need a cookie.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!