HRM while weight training

Options
devilwhiterose
devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I wore my HRM for the first time today while working out with dumbells and a couple machines (I usually just record some time under cardio strength...) my calories burned came out to 450 for 81 minutes. That seems like an awful lot. I did rows, bent rows, side lunges, some back exercises... I know they say a HRM is supposed to be accurate but doesn't it sound off?

My reason for asking is that while I don't eat back my calories, I eat back SOME or else I feel like crap. I'd like to know what I'm burning to compensate for a little. Earlier this year I was burning more than I was putting in (running) and I felt awful. Thoughts on the 450?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate for weight training. You should not use that burn, at all.
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    Do you use the default "cardio strength" setup that mfp has for logging weight training workouts then?
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way I eat back some of my "burnt" calories or I feel terrible the next day. Carb backloading makes me feel GREAT after a gym session.
    60 minutes hitting the weights says I burn 300 calories under CARDIO in the app I have been using the app for 140 days or so, have lost almost 40 lbs of fat..

but I am no expert then again all of this is just advice,
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Do you use the default "cardio strength" setup that mfp has for logging weight training workouts then?

That is not accurate either. Weight training, unless it is circuit training, burns a minimal amount of calories.

The app over estimates cardio calories burned too. Now, when I was larger what I would do was instead of eating only half of the cardio calories burned back (because they are over estimated), I ate back all of them. I figured the 50-100 calorie over estimation would be made up in strength training.

I train heavy, and assume I only burn 100-200 calories. I don't even think about it. It fits into my "lightly active" life style.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    HRM's are inaccurate for weight lifting. Realize that you could go watch a scary movie while wearing it and burn 1000 calories on the HRM because of fast heart rate. And you know that ain't true just sitting down.

I usually have people average it out to about 350 calories per hour.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    Sounds like that's the way to go then. I usually only wear my HRM when I run and today I just wanted to see what I got while doing weights.

40 pounds lost is proof enough for me to use the cardio log instead. Great job by the way!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    That does sound a little high, but whenever I do kettlebell work my heart rate and calorie burn is higher than when I am using the elliptical. I think the kb swings gets my heart rate up more than standard machine exercises. If you are moving quickly through each exercise or adding some cardio in between moves that may account for the higher burn. Are you using a wrist or chest strap heart rate monitor? A HRM on the wrist isn't quite as accurate as one worn on the chest and that could be causing a higher calorie burn too.
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    HRM's are inaccurate for weight lifting. Realize that you could go watch a scary movie while wearing it and burn 1000 calories on the HRM because of fast heart rate. And you know that ain't true just sitting down.

I usually have people average it out to about 350 calories per hour.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Never thought about that!
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    thanks.. I use the Inbody machine at my local Nutrishop my goal is fat loss I don't care about what the scale says

belt notches and shirt sizes, is a true accuracy if working
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    Deb, I have the chest strap for the Garmin Vivofit.
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    thanks.. I use the Inbody machine at my local Nutrishop my goal is fat loss I don't care about what the scale says

belt notches and shirt sizes, is a true accuracy if working

Ya I haven't lost much on the scale recently but I've been weighing my motivation with what squishes and jiggles less. Lol.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The database entry of Strength Training is based on studies of lifting with sets and rests of 2-4 min, reps 5-15.

If that's your workout, that's what you can log it as - and it is minimal calories compared to cardio - obviously more than nothing as some comments say.

Circuit training is 15 over reps, rests of 1 min or less, still to almost failure though.

Calisthenics is 20 reps and over, short rests too, and usually not to failure from weight, just from fatigue of doing so much fast with little rest.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxjb21wZW5kaXVtb2ZwaHlzaWNhbGFjdGl2aXRpZXN8Z3g6MjdiN2Y3NzAwYTU1YWExZQ