Yay I joined a gym...now what?

Options
So I joined Planet Fitness on saturday. And Ive been a couple of times but I have no idea how to create a decent routine I spend about 20 min. On the elliptical then go to whatever machine catches my eye. Any tips/advice for a newbie!

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Try looking at Oxygen magazine for a beginner's routine and using Youtube to find videos of how to perform the moves on the machine. It may be trial and error the first few times determining what weight you should start at for the exercises, but 2 sets of 8 reps will be a good start and you can move on to 2 sets of 10, 3 sets of 8, or however you want to progress from there. If you are easily doing a set of 8, add 5 or 10 pounds until it feels like the last one or two in a set is struggle but still doable with good form. If you are struggling to move the machine or it takes stupendous effort to do one or two, lighten the weight until you hit the sweet spot described above. Pick 4-6 exercises to do for upper body and 4-6 for lower body. Planks, pushups, flutterkicks, and bicycles are great core moves.

See how you feel over the next two days after a strength workout. If you are super sore (hurts to walk, lift your arms above your head, can't brush your teeth) then you need to dial the workout a little bit. If you don't feel sore at all, then you need to add a little more weight to your routine.

You can decide how you want to split your training days. Some people like to do two days on and one day off to rest to end up exercising 4-5 days a week and still give their body a chance to recover from the workouts. I typically do some form of cardio everyday, even if it is a slow one mile jog or five mile ride on the stationary bike. I try to do kettlebell work or some type of strength training 3 times a week with ab work two days and yoga once a week.

Listen to your body and see what works for you and what you enjoy doing. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with that approach, is your goal fat loss? Build muscle? general fitness?

I would hit the weights first or machines... do as much weight as you can say 8 or 10 reps 3xs don't go to failure meaning don't keep going till you can not finish the movement.

I would continue hitting the machines that look "good" and see how it feels as you progress and build confidence in what your doing and how you "feel" do more mix it up. its all about how you feel and that your comfortable IMO than anything
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    well said debubbie we must have typed at the same time,,,
  • kidakiwi
    kidakiwi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Looks like Planet Fitness will help give you a Design Your Own Program session for free: http://www.planetfitness.com/pepf
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've wasted LOTS of time in gyms. First, I'd look up beginning lifting programs (like New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Lifts) and also some HIIT ideas. You don't have to spend much time, but be smart about it. It took me a long time to learn this.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    everything everybody already said, for sure..

Frank, specifically, hit on two good points: in order to reach a goal, you have to define it first. are you most concerned with dropping excess weight, or are you looking specifically to delve deeper into strength training? because the answer to that question will define your approach more than anything.

also - and i think i remember Frank pointing this out to someone else in another thread at some point - you may protest mentally at first, but in my own experience, i've found that i was much more successful with my strength regimen if i hit the weights first, and did my cardio afterward. you'll want to do some stretching/warmup of some sort before just walking in and plopping down on the lat pull bench, but you may find that you feel better on the way home if you reverse your approach and do your cardio last.

RE: what sistrsprkl said - there's some wisdom in those words, for sure. you should have a plan of some sort when you walk in, and while it's ok to kinda "try everything on" and get a feel for specific machines and motions and the like, you'll fare better, feel better, and get better results if you look towards a routine of some sort.

there's TONS of information here in the forums, and elsewhere on the internet to point you in the right direction. if you ask specific questions of the universe, you'll get answers...but you gotta decide what to ask...and that'll be dictated by what results you'll eventually expect from the work you're about to put in.

good luck!
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    kidakiwi wrote: »
    So I joined Planet Fitness on saturday. And Ive been a couple of times but I have no idea how to create a decent routine I spend about 20 min. On the elliptical then go to whatever machine catches my eye. Any tips/advice for a newbie!
    Great job!!! Now just keep on track "Every damn day" in or out of the gym. Eat something healthy take a walk run or hit the gym no matter wut it is just do something every damn day till you get a routine figured out!!! Thumbs up and good luck!
  • kidakiwi
    kidakiwi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks...well I would love lose a hundred pounds total but for now im just focusing on getting to my pre depression weight of 220 so about 45 pounds beyond that I really dont have a specific goal in mind. I know I dont want to lose weight and have a ton of flab so I would like tone build muscle and lose weight at the same time but from my research that sounds practically impossible.

I know there are a ton of info on mfp and its rather overwhelming. But its either this or spend another summer watching everyone ride a roller coaster because im to fat to ride.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    The trainers there can show you around and help you make a workout plan to get you started. Have fun! :)
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of the free training that is available at Planet Fitness. They will help you put something together to reach your goals! Congratulations on taking this step on the road to a healthier you!
  • 515000aa
    515000aa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stay committed....65% diet, 35% exercise= 100%
    Do your own research and don't listen to anyone offering advice that does not have a body that you would say is a 9 or 10.