Indian food recipes

Options
territhefrog
territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
A new store opened near where I live. It's Indian and also carries other Asian foods. I am anxious to try some Indian foods. There is an incredible produce section and the grocery section is pretty good too. I don't know what it all is but I am wanting to learn. So....I am looking for some recipes. I would appreciate those that use mostly vegetables and maybe some chicken or fish. Thanks.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Picky eater has a lot of Indian recipes and she's vegetarian
    http://pickyeaterblog.com/recipes-and-health-archive/#indian
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Palak Paneer or Saag Paneer is amazing if you like fresh white cheese and cooked spinach.

It's very nutritious. It's technically a side dish, but I could eat it as a main.

Salty, savory, spicy, rich, and full of warm spices like cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.
  • territhefrog
    Options
    Excellent! Thank you!!!!
  • morethanveggies435
    Options
    http://www.veganricha.com/ is my fav for Indian recipes!
  • zikarra
    zikarra Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chana Masala is my favorite :) All you need is canned tomatoes,chickpeas,onions,some pepper strips and cumin,masala spice,turmeric and it doesn't take long either.
  • WantBestME
    WantBestME Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I am indian and i love cooking and i do cook pretty awesome :D ... Any query on indian cuisine - feel free to ask me!
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Picky eater has a lot of Indian recipes and she's vegetarian
    http://pickyeaterblog.com/recipes-and-health-archive/#indian

Very cool site. Thanks for recommending it.
  • territhefrog
    Options
    You are all amazing! Thanks. I am going to try my hand at chicken tikka masala and some Indian Karela. I have never had either of them but I am anxious to try.
  • WantBestME
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    WantBestME wrote: »
    Hey all, I am indian and i love cooking and i do cook pretty awesome :D ... Any query on indian cuisine - feel free to ask me!

Post some of your fav healthy recipes.

Any preference? Like a chicken recipe / curry/starter/ main course? I prepare south indian(tamil/andhra/udupi/kerala), north-indian and mugalai cuisine...

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love Indian food, I would love to hear a different thing for a main dish besides curry chicken, Tikka Masala, or buter chicken. I do prefer meat in the dish, I have an issue digesting a lot of legumes (I paid dearly for some Falafel I made Monday!!). I am also gluten free but if you don't know what that is just post the recipes I can usually modify or ask. Thanks!
  • WantBestME
    Options
    You are all amazing! Thanks. I am going to try my hand at chicken tikka masala and some Indian Karela. I have never had either of them but I am anxious to try.

Karela -> you mean bitter gourd? To reduce the bitterness , cut the edge of the karela on either sides and rub on a clean plate for a minute. Then add tamarind paste to the dish you are preparing, the tangy flavour will reduce bitter taste

chicken tikka masala-> tikka: marinate chicken in : lemon juice, curd(yogurt),ginger-garlic paste,garam masala,chilli powder,salt mixture for an hour or two . Then pan fry it with very little oil, along with square-cut onion,tomato,capsicum.
    gravy: add oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, add diced onion (for 500g chicken: 2/3 onion), fry until golden brown, add ginger garlic paste(1 tsp), add tomato puree of 3 tomatos - cook till tomato becomes mushy. Add salt/chilli powder/garam masala. Add little water and cook for 5 min. Now add tikka chicken and veggies, cashew paste (or fresh cream) and kasturi methi. Keep in low flame for 10 min. Chicken tikka masala is ready!

• jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chicken curry recipe:
    Ingredients:
    2 lb boneless,skinless chicken thighs, 1 inch cubes
    1 large onion, small diced
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    2 Tbs oil (canola, vegetable, safflower)
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
    1 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp coriander powder
    1 tsp garam masala
    salt to taste (start with 1 tsp)
    1-2 cups water
    Cilantro for garnish

Marinade:
    1/4 cup plain yogurt
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves minced
    1 tsp ginger powder or .5 inch minced
    1/2 tsp cumin powder
    1/2 tsp coriander powder
    1/2 tsp paprika

Directions:
    Marinate chicken overnight, or at least 3 hours
    1. Heat heavy bottomed pan on medium.
    2. Add oil
    3. Add cumin and let roast for 30 seconds
    4. Add onion, cook til browned (10 mins) stirring occasionally
    5. Add garlic and ginger, cook 30 seconds.
    6. Add turmeric, cayenne, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Cook for 30 seconds.
    7. Add chicken, without the marinade, and cook until chicken has a golden brown color, about 7-10 minutes
    8. Add tomato sauce, cook 1 minute.
    9. Add 1-2 cups water, depending on how thick or thin you want gravy to be. I'd say more if you want it with rice, and less if you are having naan or some sort of bread with it.
    10. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer til oil separates, about 20 minutes.
    11. Remove from heat. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot with basmati rice or naan

Enjoy! A lot more where this came from. Just inbox me :)

• WantBestME
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I love Indian food, I would love to hear a different thing for a main dish besides curry chicken, Tikka Masala, or buter chicken. I do prefer meat in the dish, I have an issue digesting a lot of legumes (I paid dearly for some Falafel I made Monday!!). I am also gluten free but if you don't know what that is just post the recipes I can usually modify or ask. Thanks!
    Legumes play a major role in south indian cuisine.. Since you love meat, I'll give a recipe of one of my fav chicken recipe:
    Marinate chicken pieces with ginger garlic paste and turmeric for some 30 min.
    Add oil in pan. Add mustard seeds,cumin seeds and curry leaves (generously). When it splutters , add chopped shallots and garlic, along with cut red chillies(Acc to your spice level), salt and handful of coconut bits. Now add the marinated chicken and cook till the chicken is tender.
    If you want a curry, you can add tomato puree after frying the shallots.

One more egg chettinad curry recipe:
    Ingredients:Egg,onion(1),tomato(2),tamarind paste(taken from a lemon size tamarind pieces),coconut milk(half cup),turmeric powder, salt,curry leaves
    To Grind:bengal gram(1 tsp),red chillies(4),fenugreek(1/2tsp),peppercorns(1tsp),cumin(1tsp), coriander seeds(1 tsp)
    How:Dry roast" to grind" ingredients and grind them to paste with little water.
    Add oil to a Big kadai, add curry leaves, onion and fry for few minutes then add tomatoes and add the ground masala along with turmeric powder, salt. Sprinkle water and after five minutes add the tamarind paste. simmer for 10 minutes until raw smell goes. Now break egg and slowly empty it in the kadai of gravy. Repeat the same for all the eggs. Make sure that the eggs don't mix or yolks gets runny. Close the lid of kadai and simmer for 3 minutes.eggs would have cooked and risen above. Add coconut milk at this stage. Don't boil after adding coconut milk.
  • WantBestME
    edited September 2015
    Options
    A very easy egg dessert :)

Egg vatlappam
    Ingredients:Egg(5nos),sugar(half cup),coconut milk(half cup),cashew,ghee,cardamom powder
    How:Fry cashew in ghee and keep aside.
    Beat eggs,powdered sugar, coconut milk,cardamom powder thoroughly.add fried cashew. Steam it (we use pressure cooker). Serve it pieces or as a whole.
  • territhefrog
    Options
    I made a chicken tikka masala in a slow cooker today. I changed it a little but not too much. It came out so good. Next time I am going to try making it with WantBestME's recipe. THANKS!!!