Any Southerners around here?!

Options
I been having a rough time being motivated lately could use some more friends-southern or not but southern is cool cause I wanna learn what yall do for exercise in this heat? Also,What do you do to change your eatin habits-cause If your like me then everything you grew up with is fried! Any way you can have things that are "bad" but in a good way?

Replies

• peggy1209
    peggy1209 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just started 30 day shred today (in the air conditioning with the fan on me). I also enjoy water aerobics.
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm all indoor workouts (DVDs and stuff) or machines at the gym right now. It's 90 degrees in the morning around here these days!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    NC boy here. And yes everything I grew up on was fried, but I haven't had anything fried in 2 months!!! As far as exercise, I love being out in the heat. It gets a good sweat going and makes me really feel like I have accomplished something. I go to my old high school and run the bleachers and walk the track. I also do some stuff at my fire station, but I understand not everyone has access to 1,000 ft of hose, ladder trucks, and rescue dummies. lol Just be innovative. I find walking around the neighborhood is boring and thus I am less likely to get motivated enough to do it. I also work out at my gym. Good luck. Add me if you like!!!
  • aprilmssmith
    aprilmssmith Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm in Alabama...I get to the track by 6am and it feels great when I'm running. If I wait til 7 I can hardly get my breath. As for the fried food, indulge moderately.
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Virginia girl here. I am doing Zumba at least 2 nights a week indoors, but I also jog (usually outside). I have been going out at 5:30-6am to beat some of the heat and humidity. I hate jogging on the treadmill, so I am going to stick with outside for as long as I can take it. I don't know how long that is going to last since we are supposed to hit 100 this week.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I also live in GA and it is HOT! 95 degree days do make it hard to exercise. I run/walk in the morning (7amish) or late evening (7pmish). It is still hot but has cooled off enough for me to take my 2 dogs on a long walk. I also do kickboxing and the Nike Training Club app on my iphone since it can be done inside.

As for foods I do crave some good southern fried food sometimes but have really cut most of it out of my diet. So, I either let myself have what I want or find alternatives. You can do chicken with panko breadcrumbs. Search oven "fried" chicken and you will have multiple recipes. You can do the same with potatoes and zucchini.

I make mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. (My boyfriend says he actually likes it just as good). Take a package of frozen cauliflower and cook it according to directions. Once it is tender put 2tbsp low fat cream cheese, 2 tbsp fat free greek yogurt, 1tbsp of margarine or butter if you would like and cauliflower in a food processor. Its delish!

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    So not sure what you're considering Southern. lol. I was born and raised in Texas but live in southern AZ.

I usually do my walks in the morning about 5:30 - 6 ish due to the heat. And any afternoon activity is in the gym or my home so as not to sweat to dehydration.

As far as fried... sigh... yes.. that is an issue. I have come to find out that baked bread crumbed items are very very similar in texture to fried, without the grease taste. And potatoes can also be cut and baked in the oven and taste like french fries and are way healthier.

I have yet to come up witha good substitute for sausage, bacon or gravy. But I do limit how much of them are in my diet.

And chili... I think that is good for you due to all the beans, tomato products (not ketchup - too much sugar), and stuff that can be put into it and stay on the healthy side. Just limit the corn bread that goes with it. i haven't found a good sub for the corn bread yet either.

So good luck on your venture.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Another from NC here, and I'm not one to tolerate heat well!! If I can't get outside before 8 AM, I'll do my workouts inside on my elliptical. On the weekends, I get up early to beat the heat and get my run in before it starts to swelter!

Have you tried 'faux' fried using Fiber One cereal? Hungry Girl has some good recipes for healthier 'comfort foods'.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/episodes/comfortably-yum
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    sounds good:)
  • GARider
    GARider Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I live in GA too and like others have said, I like to get out in the late afternoon, early evening and get my sweat on! I at least feel like I'm sweating off something, even though I haven't seen the scale move much :(

Ah, the fried foods; my beloved friend and foe. I don't know what to tell you about that. It is so hard to give up, but I just think about the cute clothes I want to wear someday and it's worth more to me than french fries and fried chicken. You just have to find healthy alternatives that you like and only have the fried foods as special treats.
  • kparks770
    Options
    I heard that my air is on 60 lol and Its comfortable lol In a old house.So,hot when you walk outside it takes my breathe away
  • kparks770
    Options
    well turkey sausage and bacon are pretty good I found out.:bigsmile:
  • kparks770
    Options
    Thanks Ill check that out:bigsmile:
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I'm in Georgia I think.....yep thats where I am at
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i did get out today and walk 2.5 miles in the heat and got some sun and enjoyed the outside a little.....i was going to try and do 4 miles but i was sweatin' too much and got hot so i stopped before i gave out
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'm in Georgia, by way of California....but my grandparents are from the South so I am very well acquainted with everything that I shouldn't be eating lol...I also only do DVD workouts, but that is because I made a vow to myself that I would lose 100lbs without every stepping foot in a gym, to prove that it can be done.

I have adapted a healthier lifestyle as it pertains to eating...but there are some things that I have a hard time saying no to if they are around me and that would be pancakes, eggs, bacon and hash browns or country potatoes. Also homemade mac and cheese and collard greens with the pork in em...sorry just can't say no to those at my grandparents house lol.

But anyone here feel free to add me. Always love the new friends and I'm also forming a team for the Susan G. Komen 3 Day here in Atlanta in October! :)
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    SC girl here and I strictly work out in the gym or my home.......A/C is your friend....lol :flowerforyou: Go to Taste of Home website and look under the healthy tab....they have lots of recipes that are made over into healthier versions. I love Southern food but only eat it when I can modify it into something healthier. Skinny Cow ice cream is your friend too.......love it!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    alas i can't understand the idea of skinny cow ice cream.. lol.. i just can't get past if its supposed to be a tasty treat, making it healthy.. but i am working on eating only 1 or 2 servings of full fat tasty ice cream instead of the entire pint. that is actually one of my goals this week as its that week full of nasty for you cravings so i bought the stuff to try to prevent the i need carbs and chocolate cravings lol
  • peggy1209
    peggy1209 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm in Georgia, by way of California....but my grandparents are from the South so I am very well acquainted with everything that I shouldn't be eating lol...I also only do DVD workouts, but that is because I made a vow to myself that I would lose 100lbs without every stepping foot in a gym, to prove that it can be done.

I have adapted a healthier lifestyle as it pertains to eating...but there are some things that I have a hard time saying no to if they are around me and that would be pancakes, eggs, bacon and hash browns or country potatoes. Also homemade mac and cheese and collard greens with the pork in em...sorry just can't say no to those at my grandparents house lol.

But anyone here feel free to add me. Always love the new friends and I'm also forming a team for the Susan G. Komen 3 Day here in Atlanta in October! :)

I did the 3 day in 2008 - I gained weight - all the training walking made me sooooo hungry!! LOL

Good luck - they released a new smart phone cover this week for people who sign up before June 21 - it is wicked cute!