De-motivators?

Options
Anyone have a similar problem where they have people telling them to stop losing weight??
I'm 5'1 and had a bmi of 26 when I started off, I have since lost about 11lbs and have toned up a lot. I lost about 15.5 inches all over and have been eating the healthiest in my life!
I stay in around 1200-1500 calories a day and I excerise 3/4 a week.
I feel great! I know I have a little more body fat to lose and I want to define muscle. But I've had certain people say to me that I should stop losing weight and I am taking it too far??
I'm no way obsessed with food or excerise I'm just cautious of how healthy I am now. I don't go out drinking the way I use to every weekend and I don't have 'cheat meals' because I actually love the healthy food I cook!!
Does anyone else have this problem of people making out that they 'are going to far' when the reality is you're the most healthy you've ever been?!

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi. Probably jealous and probably bc you are changing. People like you to not change or stayas you were. Path of rresistance but you know what is best for you.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Firstly well done sounds like your doing great :smile:

I don't get the 'your getting too thin' comments but I do get the 'Your fat comments' off a guy I work with. He's forever bringing cake in and leaving it on my desk...which then goes straight in the bin. Funny thing is I have a BMI of 24.1 which is healthy!

Again I think it boils down to jealousy. Where he lost a lot of weight and muscle mass basically starving himself (apparently excercise is for fools) I've lost it gradually and toned up in the process.

If anything his attitude is a motivator....especially doing uppercuts, punches, high kicks etc his mental image keeps me kicking and punching harder lol

Shaun.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 and have about 50 to go, people that have seen that change joke, oh you are getting too skinny, or you don't need to lose anymore. If they never knew me they'd probably think I needed to lose a few pounds. It usually just an opening line for conversation like you ask a tall person how's the weather up there. I really don't pay any attention to it.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the loss so far!

Second, one thing you can so smile, nod and change the subject. Or, if you need to say something, just say that you're losing weight to get to the goal set by you and your doctor. Very few people will argue with that!
  • DSnutz
    DSnutz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not at that point, but as I progress, I'm sure I'll be hearing some well-meaning comments (and some made from envy) myself. My plan is to say something like, "Thank you for your concern, but I am healthy and feeling great! My doctor also thinks I'm doing a fantastic job with making healthy choices. So please don't worry, and please don't feel the need to comment on my weight!"
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    If you're eating that much and you're not exercising obsessively (which it seems like you're not), then there's nothing to be concerned about (barring any medical condition you haven't mentioned). If the person is close to you and you feel comfortable, you can clue them into this fact. You're feeding your body properly.

If they're not close to you and you don't feel comfortable saying this to them, then it's really none of their business anyway. The doctor suggestion is probably a good one, or doing what I do - laugh awkwardly and change the subject.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to let ignorance or envy demotivate me. Now if a doctor well-versed in ketogenic diets looks at my height, weight, blood work, and preferably DEXA scan and tells me my bodyweight is too low, I'll listen.

(A doctor needs to be familiar with keto because if nothing else those of us in heavy ketosis don't have glycogen stores which means we carry less water weight which means I am always 8-12 pounds heavier than the scale reflects by how the BMI charts are done).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    in my experience, most of these kind of comments are actually meant to be compliments..."you don't need to lose anymore weight"...translation: "I think you look great"

it seems to me that the people actually losing the weight or whatever are often far too sensitive to something that is meant to compliment or in a round about way suggest you are doing a good job.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    There is a combination of things that cause that.

1- Jealousy, some people are not happy you look that good. They wish they could do it so they want you to stop. These are usually the same people sabotaging your effort or commenting on it.
    2- The one who wanted it to be an easy fix, this is the person who wants the "magic pill" and seeing all your effort to get to where you are annoys them. So they will say "you don't need to lose more" or "your so skinny already" etc. This person can't comprehend the effort you put into it and wants to believe that effort is not required
    3- Compliment - you look great already no need to lose more
    4- A truly concerned person. Some people see you and think maybe you are going too far. My one friend lost a lot of weight, she looks awesome, but at one point she was pushing to lose more and she looked just a little too skinny. I mean like sickly skinny. She lost a few more, realized too much and finally found the right spot.

The last scenario is actually rare. Most times it is number 1 or 2. Even someone meaning it as a compliment probably has a tinge of jealousy.

People are very complex and it is rarely as simple as it seems on the face of it.
  • marsia1234
    marsia1234 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great advice!
    Not going to let anyone get into my head, I know I'm healthy