Struggling with running lately....tips??

Options
Hi everyone, I have been running for well over 2 years now and was building up to 7 miles when all of a sudden I have hit some sort of wall. Running was feeling pretty easy for me for a while, but lately even 2 miles is feeling like a challenge. What is going on?? I started a new strength training routine 3 weeks ago, but I have always incorporated strength training/weights into my routine, so this isn't new. Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions?? I want to keep up my running! I even run with a club on Thursdays! I am starting to feel like a loser because I can't go the whole 7 miles anymore AND I can no longer keep up with them! I used to be able to! Also, my weight has been steady. I haven't gained or anything. So that is not the culprit!

Replies

• sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Are you unable to do it b/c of your breathing or because you're body is tired?
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Seven miles of running burns a ton of calories and you may be putting yourself in starvation mode if you aren't replacing those calories.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Has something possibly changed in your diet ? I know that when I have a higher protien day I run better, and when I eat carbs (pasta, potatoe breads..)the NEXT day is a good day for me. Maybe look back at your food logs and see if anything has been added or removed........just a thought.
    You may just need a rest too, dont forget to take care of yourself =)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    hmm, that's odd

are you running at a faster pace all the sudden?
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Is it mental or physical? Are you eating enough?
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    Others have addressed diet, but have you increased your overall training schedule? It could be a symptom of over-training. Do you normally wear a HRM? Is your resting HR higher than normal. Just some thoughts.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Suggestion, try incorporating different types of running: Hills, sprints and distance. They build different muscles and you need all of them to be a complete runner.

I would also suggest strength training specifically geared towards runners such as http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--13535-1-1X2-3,00.html.

Hope this helps...
  • hags82
    hags82 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far! My body literally feels tired. Like I just can't go on. I run slower as a result. It is so bizarre! I wonder if I am pushing myself too much. I try to eat more on the days I know I will be running, but I wonder if I need to eat more protein as was suggested. I do work out every day. I try to take 1 day off but I will still end up taking the dogs on a walk or something. I strength train 30 min - 3 x week and I do cardio every day, sometimes for 30 min and sometimes up to 90 min. I am a workout junkie to be honest. I don't feel right if I don't do some sort of activity daily. I have a desk job, so maybe that is why I am so anxious to get off my butt and do stuff!
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think the heat naturally makes me feel more sluggish in my runs. Be sure you are hydrating enough.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body is being pushed too hard so it is starting to let you know. Take a couple days off from running and see if that helps at all. Listen to your body.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far! My body literally feels tired. Like I just can't go on. I run slower as a result. It is so bizarre! I wonder if I am pushing myself too much. I try to eat more on the days I know I will be running, but I wonder if I need to eat more protein as was suggested. I do work out every day. I try to take 1 day off but I will still end up taking the dogs on a walk or something. I strength train 30 min - 3 x week and I do cardio every day, sometimes for 30 min and sometimes up to 90 min. I am a workout junkie to be honest. I don't feel right if I don't do some sort of activity daily. I have a desk job, so maybe that is why I am so anxious to get off my butt and do stuff!

I would vote for overtraining. I would take a few days off completely (I know it's tough) and then do some shorter interval workouts (more like tempo intervals than really hard ones) so that you are significantly decreasing your training volume. Check some of the obvious things like sleeping and stress.

If you are going to work out every day, overtraining syndrome is a virtual certainty. You can learn to vary your workouts and build in "active recovery" days so that you can manage it better, but it is still common to occasionally "hit the wall".
  • amybarry76
    amybarry76 Posts: 15
    Options
    Could it be the heat? I live in Florida and the heat and humidity exhausts me much quicker during the summer.
  • trdeming
    trdeming Posts: 4
    Options
    I find the same thing happening to me too. It could be a combination of a lot of things. Are you running daily or do you give yourself breaks? you should give yourself breaks. I found running daily was killing me. Maybe take a break for a week or two, try a different exercise and then go back and see how running feels. Just make sure you hydrate, eat well, and feel good.