Walk to Minas Tirith Challenge

Options
There used to be a walking challenge out there on the internet called the Eowyn Walk to Rivendell Challenge and i thought that maybe some people out there might be interested in it and maybe we could resurrect it. To get to Rivendell we'll follow the path that Frodo took from Hobbiton to the Elven haven. Though if you only want to complete a specific leg of the journey and stop for example at The Old Forest or The Midgewater Marshes this can also be arranged.
If you want to join in please tell me the destination that you want to get to so that i can also add how far you have to go and keep things in order.
The challenge compromises of everyone involved updating how far they have walked, ran, cycled etc each day, which i will then keep a track of and update thier position on the map of middle earth. The maps that i'm using to calculate all of this are from the book 'Journeys of Frodo An Atlas of JRR Tolkien's The Lord Of The Rings by Barbara Strachey'.

Examples of locations and distances(in miles) that can be reached are
1/8th Front gate of Bag End
3 Crossing over 'The Water' (stream)
4 Out of Hobbiton
6 Crossing the East Road
As you can see if you are commited to going all the way to Rivendell this isnt going to be a short challenge!!!! In total it's 120 + miles, but dont feel intimidated by it the challenge is open to anyone and everyone no matter what thier fitness level. Hope to hear from you soon. Dont forget to ask me any questions that you might have.

(edit: If this goes well and people like it maybe we could go a further distance, such as walking to Minas Tirith.)

Replies

• jtns
    jtns Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm VERY interested! I'm a huge LOTR geek. add me if you want to
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Oooh, this is a brilliant idea!! How many miles are people walking per day/week?
  • CognacKibby
    CognacKibby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Very Interested. I'll challenge myself to go all the way!!
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    In which country are you talking about ?
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This sounds fun. I'm in :)
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I am very interested!! :)
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    In which country are you talking about ?
    I knew that we'd confuse someone. :happy: Erm the wonderful world of lord of the rings it's a book and movie trilogy. Yeah i'm a big LOTR geek too. Been hooked since i was 9.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    Ok so i've added all of you that said that you wanted to join, but i've assumed that ytou want to go the whole hog and get to Rivendell with me. If this isnt what you want make sure that you tell me.

I dont have a specific number in mind, but i want to use this as a way of ensuring that i do at least a mile a day but also to encourage myself to do more so i can get there faster. :bigsmile: I hope you all find it motivating.

When are people planning on starting?
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Now now now now now!! :laugh:

Ahem, or you know, something less eager :wink:
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    AH you really made me laugh! Just as eager as i am i see. Dont forget to upload your mileage :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    Two miles for me tonight. :laugh:
  • xxCelestexx
    xxCelestexx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Iwant to do i! I just taught LOTR this spring. I just don't know the distances. Do you have amap or an outline of how many miles it is to each point. I will be more than happy just to make it to Rivendell. Minas Tirith has to be more than double that.

I am also saving this challenge for classroom use. If I ever teach a travel story again that could be an amazing motivation to some of the kids and healthy too.
  • xxCelestexx
    xxCelestexx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Haha never mind found the milage. Posting it here for anyone else who wants it.

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Walk/walk.html

If I walk 3 miles-ish a day I could get almost 40 by the end of the month
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    Thank you for finding the origional mileage sheets. You must have some ninga googling skills i couldnt find them anywhere. I was prepared if we couldnt get them to measure out on the maps that i have though. Adding you to the list.