Gluten Free?

Options
Any gluten free eaters out there? I'm new to this and I was hoping for some pointers. General info, advice….whatever you got will be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• jlcrose
    jlcrose Posts: 22
    Options
    I eat gluten free because I have celiac disease. It was really hard to start because I was buying all the pre-packaged gluten free stuff off the shelf. Not only is that expensive, but a lot of it doesn't taste very good either. What I've learned to do is use as much fresh food as possible and cook as often as I can, lots of veggies and lean meats. Also white rice is gluten free, that's what I use as my carbs, sparingly. The biggest thing is reading EVERY label - even things like your peanut butter and ketchup - gluten hides everywhere, even in preservatives! Google was my friend for a long time.
  • nomatterwhat18
    Options
    I am gluten intolerant as well, I do the same thing by eating a lot of fresh dark green vegetables and sweet potatoes as complex carbohydrates. So good for you! My favorite gluten free meals for on the go are Amy's Organic gluten free frozen meals. Also, so many restaurants in Austin, Tx where I'm from, have gluten free menus with awesome options.
  • brendaleentjes
    brendaleentjes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a sensitivity to gluten so I avoid it as much as possible. Some of the things I eat now and enjoy that are gluten free is udi's whole grain bread, Erewhon rice cereal and king arthur flour mixes--their cookie mix and pizza dough are excellent. I also stay away from processed foods and eat a lot of fruits and veggies.
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    Are there any informative details about "Gluten-free" eating I can read and udnerstand it better?
  • cherryvee
    cherryvee Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi, I'm happy to make friends with anybody who is gluten free. I think it'll help to see what other people are eating and to improve our range of food/diet. Please feel free to add me. CherryVee x
  • cherryvee
    cherryvee Posts: 16
    Options
    Are there any informative details about "Gluten-free" eating I can read and udnerstand it better?

Hey Kumar

Try: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/foodintolerance1.shtml

Or: http://www.free-from.com/

Or: http://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-lifestyle/the-gluten-free-diet

Hope it helps!
  • jlcrose
    jlcrose Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of you - but I think the biggest myth about gluten free eating is that it can be used as a weight loss diet by itself. Just because it's gluten free doesn't mean it's a "diet" food. In fact, many gluten free things are made with more sugar in order to make them more tasty (I wish I had my source to cite that, but I don't remember where I read it..) Take pretzels for example. A cup of pretzels will have a certain amount of calories, but the same cup of gluten free pretzels will have more sodium and/or other things that are bad for you because they aren't made with the gluten, in order to make them taste better. People who are losing weight on a gluten free diet are the ones who are eating and preparing fresh foods and eating healthy portions, and leaving that prepackaged shelf stuff alone!
  • MuchoGusto
    MuchoGusto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with jlcrose! Stay away from the prepackaged stuff. You really need to make all your own meals.