Losing More LBM Than Fat

Options
Need a little advice. Dropped a lot of weight pretty quickly with my goal set to 2lb/week. Had ~50lb of fat to lose, so the 1600-1700 net calories today seemed just fine. Was able to exercise without being terribly fatigued, not ravenous at any point during the day, etc.

Now, I've gone from 258lb to 226lb, but the last few weeks seems to be more lean loss than fat, as illustrated by my fabulous Excel chart:

x8ysa09ljl00.png

My body fat percentage measurements are coming from a BIA scale, so I don't put any stock in the actual numbers. But I weigh myself every day under the same circumstances, so I'm banking on the trend being valid.

I've been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 since mid-June. Haven't stalled a set except for overhead press, which is expected. I'm using the Stronglifts app on my phone to keep track. I mention this for a reason which will be apparent in a bit.

Here are my questions.

1) At 226lb, with a goal of 190lb, what should I be shooting for here? Would going all the way down to 1/2lb per week make sense at this point? I'm trying to add more protein to combat the LBM loss, but it's difficult without upping calories a fair amount.

2) Took a couple weeks off from lifting last month while I was on vacation. When I started back, the Stronglifts app suggested I deload 30% to prevent any soreness, etc. In retrospect, I probably should've just sucked it up and pushed through. Thoughts on increasing weight a little faster, i.e. 10lb per workout instead of 5lb, until I reach my previous progress points?

3) I take levothyroxine for my crappy thyroid, and we're still tinkering with the dosage. With my last blood test, I'm actually a little HYPERthroid instead of hypo. Anyone have any experience with the meds and how it's affected your LBM/fat loss ratio, if at all?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Considering your training program and protein levels, I highly doubt that you are losing that much muscle. And as your recognize, BIA are horrible devices.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    SeanNJ wrote: »
    so I'm banking on the trend being valid.

Don't because it isn't (BIA doesn't even have consistent error levels so you can't use it to establish a trend.)

The prime determinant of the ratio of BF to muscle you lose will be genetics which you can't do much a about. As stated above check the suitability of your deficit, try and get sufficient protein (although you don't have to go nuts) and perform regular resistance training.

If you feel good, your energy levels are good, your lifts are progressing and you continue to see visual improvement then you have little to worry about.

• SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sounds like "Suck it up, Buttercup!" is the best course of action then. :)

Thanks!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Don't understand the second chart - 70% body fat ?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If you were really losing a significant amount of LBM, then all your lifts would be dropping off on a 5x5.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Increase protein, cut carbs to fit your calorie deficet.
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Don't understand the second chart - 70% body fat ?

No, 70lb of fat. The units on both charts are the same.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Considering your training program and protein levels, I highly doubt that you are losing that much muscle. And as your recognize, BIA are horrible devices.

This. Also, your weigh ins recently seem to have more variation from when you first started out; my guess is the bf% is going to be more off as well (may be water/hydration changes which will have a greater affect on BIA).