Popped vs un-popped popcorn calorie question

Options
Let me preface. This is probably the dumbest series of questions I've ever asked...but I still need to know the answer. :confused:

How can un-popped popcorn be higher in calories that the popped stats? Is it sheer energy of the popping that causes this?

What calories do you log when (or if you would) you eat it? I ask this particular question because when I log a piece of chicken, I log the weight of it uncooked, not afterwards.

Help!?

Replies

• JullesBurn
    JullesBurn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always try and find the info on calories for the finished product. That's what you're eating after all.

I eat a lot of airpopped popcorn, and I measure it after it's cooked. A cup of kernels will equal lot's more than a cup of cooked popcorn. Chicken, after cooking will shrink in size and probably weight as well.

Calculate your calories, etc., based on what you put in your mouth - not what it was like before you prepared the food.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My guess is that it isn't actually different, it's that 1/4 cup of kernels doesn't always equal 3 cups (or whatever it's supposed to be). They are actually different serving sizes for uncooked and cooked. I find popcorn servings to be one of the most confusing things to figure out. EVER. Even microwave stuff where it should be simple; nope. I cannot figure out the servings even reading what's printed on the bag. It's so annoying.

I finally broke down and bought an air popper and just weigh out a serving before cooking then eat everything I cook. Much simpler.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    from what i recall, makers estimate some kernels not being popped into the popped popcorn calorie totals.
    i use the unpopped kernel info. since the purple kernels i use usually result in maybe 2-3 kernels not getting popped.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    cocates wrote: »
    Is it sheer energy of the popping that causes this?

No, what would imply a nuclear reaction.

What is the basis for
    cocates wrote: »
    How can un-popped popcorn be higher in calories that the popped stats?

Assuming you mean by weight, Popcorn pops by the expansion of the water to steam inside the kernel. So for air popped popcorn, popped corn is lighter than the unpopped kernels. But that would mean unpopped should have less calories by weight because there are no calories in water.

If you mean by volume, I think that is pretty obvious.