Goal Weight - Feeling Confused.

Options
2»

Replies

• TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You may remember me from the 5'2" discussion. I truly feel like I would look ill if I got down to 110, 120, or even 130. 140 is probably as low as I will get. Everyone has different frames, even if they are the same height. Go until you feel comfortable with your body.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely guarantee that the other women thinking that they were going to 110 were not lifting. There is only so far you can go down if you are lifting and actually have muscles to show for it. My original goal weight was 135 or 130 thinking that this is where I was 15 years ago (when I wasn't lifting). Now that I lift, my trainer thinks that I would look skeletal if I got down that low (or at least lose my strength). The lowest he suggested was 140 and now at 147, I'm kind of stalling, but I can fit into clothing that I couldn't for the last few years. It's all relative and genetics. Don't compare with others. Nobody wins. :smiley:
  • mrssabre113
    mrssabre113 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with where you are and going at the pace you are, stick to it.

I'm pretty much where you are. I'm 5'0, starting weight was 156, current weight is 130, goal weight is 125. 125 is probably a little on the "heavy" side for my height, but I am feeling good. My clothes are fitting more comfortably, people are noticing my weight loss, and most importantly I am feeling way better. I too have curves and I think anything under 120 would be too skinny for me.

You got to do what feels right for you, not what others are aimed at.

Congrats on your weight loss and keep it up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi every one :]

I am 5 ft 2 and I started at 157 lbs which put me in the 'overweight' category (boooo!). After almost 5 months of some real dedication and hard work, I am hitting 126 lbs and feeling a lot better for it too! I am also hitting a 'healthy' weight for my height although I could still lose a few more pounds.

I originally set my 'goal weight' as 120 lbs which to me seemed like a solid, decent number to aim for although admittedly, it's the inch loss that really matters. Having said that, I came across a thread on here aimed at 5 ft 2 women and the discussion was about 'desired goal weights' based on that particular height. After reading that post, I was really bought to earth with a thud as it seems most women my height consider 120 lbs to be at the higher end of their 'comfortable weight range'. Every one is different and I get that, but I can't help feeling a bit down in the dumps to read that medically, I'd be better going even lower. The vast majority were going with 110 lbs or thereabouts and the sheer thought of having to lose another 16 lbs just disheartens me when I only had around 7 or so to go until I could start maintaining.

Of course it's up to me how low I go and of course I'll focus on the inch loss too but am I being unreasonable in feeling upset that my weight is in fact considered high to the majority? To lose these 30 lbs has been challenging yet rewarding - I think I've done really well with it but I feel I'm definitely hitting my "Ok, lets ease it up a little" point. I've set my calories so I'm losing 0.5 per week but if I truly have 16 more to lose, the sheer thought of having to consume 1200 calories again is awful!

I guess I wanted to moan and feel sorry for myself. I really just don't know how 'good' I'd personally look at 110 pounds. I have curves and I squat heavy and lift weights - I fear 110 on me would look a bit waif like. Not sure how to approach these next few weeks.. Any tips? :)

SO sorry if this was a massive ramble!

how so? if you are at a healthy BMI for your stats then there is really not going to be any additional medical benefit to going lower.

also...just an observation, but it seems to me that many of the female persuasion are simply obsessed with a number and having that number be at the lowest possible range of BMI...many have no clear understanding of BMI or why BMI provides for a range...I know women who have torched muscle mass (not just fat) because they were so obsessed with getting to the bottom of the range...and frankly, the person I'm talking about used to have a very attractive and athletic build...she looks skeletal and frankly like *kitten* at her current weight...she doesn't see it though...she just knows she hit her magic number as if that number actually matters.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the comments above :)
    You look great, and you're building a curvy/strong figure, not a teeny willowy one -- both are great but they are different. Other people's expectations have NOTHING to do with what is legitimately healthy for YOU.
    I would recommend that you take a fresh look at where you are shape-wise and maybe body fat percentage wise, and think about where you really want to go. "Recomping" is really "changing your shape and body fat percentage at the same weight". And no, it's not all about the deficit. It's about adding lean body mass too, and there are all kinds of ways to do that. But as my career coach once told me "you can't figure out how to get where you want to go unless you know where that is"... :)
    120 sounds like a great goal weight, truly. IF that. But some more metrics might help you refine your strategy.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You are all amazing - thank you SO much for helping me out :)
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My husband would freak if I got down to 110. He was actually worried when I said 135 (his words, please don't lose your butt). I think some of it has to do with the frame size too. A small frame person can do 110 but a larger frame person would not look the same. I personally have 6.5 inch wrists which indicates a large frame. The adjusted weight range for that is like 126 to 142. 135 would be great for me, if you go by that. I don't strive for the low bf% either, I personally think around 25% looks good. Its what works for YOU, not for that chick over there.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was down to 108 ages ago. I think I looked like a stick. :-) I know some women look great at that weight. I didn't. I'm aiming for 125, maybe 120. Mainly aiming for strong, lean, fit. Everyone is different and the number on the scale translates differently on each person. You seem like healthy and fit is more important than as skinny as possible anyway!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    kdz526 wrote: »
    My husband would freak if I got down to 110. He was actually worried when I said 135 (his words, please don't lose your butt). I think some of it has to do with the frame size too. A small frame person can do 110 but a larger frame person would not look the same. I personally have 6.5 inch wrists which indicates a large frame. The adjusted weight range for that is like 126 to 142. 135 would be great for me, if you go by that. I don't strive for the low bf% either, I personally think around 25% looks good. Its what works for YOU, not for that chick over there.

Lol, I recently measured my wrists and I have a small frame :(:( And so the internet tells me my ideal weight is 117-132. I used to think my ideal was 140! I'm currently at 132, and thinking I may be aiming for the lower 120s.

Two things, OP. No three: you've done brilliantly and you look great!
    Two things: Frame, body shape, all sorts of things can impact how weight carried looks and feels, and its health impacts. For me, pre kid # 2 I carried my weight on my hips and boobs, so could afford a few extra pounds without health or aesthetic downside. Now I carry my weight on my belly and I'm determined to get rid of that as it's both unhealthy and unattractive.
    Also, you won't know how you feel until you get there, and there's no rush to make a decision. You can get to your goal, maintain there for months, years, whatever, see how you feel about it, and if at any point you're not happy, you know exactly what to do!

Everyone keeps telling me how skinny I look, some to the level of the whole annoying "you're too skinny, you need to eat blah blah blah" level, and some of those people are women smaller than me. People are rubbish at telling how much others weigh, your numbers are no one's business but your own.
  • pooks1976
    pooks1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    kdz526 wrote: »

Frame and body type really impact what your ideal weight will be. I am 5'2" and my wrist measures slightly less than 5", so I have a small frame. Add in being narrow overall, short torso, and small busted and I can't carry any extra weight at all without losing any impression of a waist. Just pick where you feel best and don't worry about what works for someone else.

• yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Frame size plays a big role as well as lean mass, which matters for me as though I'm short (5'1"), I still have a large frame. I checked this calculator and it put ideal for me between 125-140.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I would keep in mind that bloggers are strangers. Who knows why people want what they want? Some might be 40 years younger. What looked finne at 20 looks emaciated at 45. What looks good on you is your authentic goal. '
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and at 125 lbs my weight, BMI and body fat % would be considered ideal by many. I'm also fitter than ever. This was my goal at the beginning of my weight loss BUT now that I'm here, I see that I still have excess body fat in my abdomen, arms and chest. I've now revised my ultimate goal to 115 lbs, but the decision is driven by MY own assessment.

Don't let others do your thinking for you. Do it yourself. YOU be the judge of what's ideal for you.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    You lift.
    You look good now.
    I can only imagine at 120 you will be sitting pretty.
    Getting down to 110, which is only a number, may mean you give up some of the hard won strength you have gained so far.

Go for your goal, continue lifting, and in 6 months, if you feel like it, reassess- bet you will decide120 and a nice bit of muscle is perfect.

I can only wish, I spend all my time trying to hang on to the muscle I have, little old lady that I am.

Cheers, h.