Help With Breathing While Running???

Options
Soooooo....I've been trying running for a while but I've never been a runner and I'm pretty overweight so I'm trying to build up/learn to be a runner by doing intervals of walking and jogging/running. My biggest problem is with the breathing. I feel like I've tried every variation of breathing; through the nose, through the mouth, short breaths, long breaths, breathing out more than breathing in, breathing in more than breathing out, etc...and I almost always end up with side cramps when i'm doing the running interval....

any suggestions? advice? help?

Thanks!

Replies

• fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Cadences -- aka jodies -- that the military uses when they run will help. My hubby is retired military and he suggested it to me. I bought a cd of them and put it on my ipod. I find it does help.
  • Kayamooh
    Kayamooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I actually started the couch to 5k program with my sister and friend, and realized my breathing was not what it should be.
    I've since been diagnosed with exercise induce asthma. Go to the doctors and get this checked out!
  • Kayamooh
    Kayamooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    -double post-
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Soooooo....I've been trying running for a while but I've never been a runner and I'm pretty overweight so I'm trying to build up/learn to be a runner by doing intervals of walking and jogging/running. My biggest problem is with the breathing. I feel like I've tried every variation of breathing; through the nose, through the mouth, short breaths, long breaths, breathing out more than breathing in, breathing in more than breathing out, etc...and I almost always end up with side cramps when i'm doing the running interval....

any suggestions? advice? help?

Thanks!

Your breathing difficulties (and side stitch) are almost certainly due to a lack of conditioning for running. Running, even at slower speeds, is a high-intensity activity. If running represents 90% or 100% of your maximum fitness level, then it's not a question of breathing technique--you are just working too hard to sustain the effort.

In general, you need to reduce the intensity and/or duration of the effort. If you can run at a slower speed, try that. If you are at the slowest speed that is comfortable, then shorten the intervals to 30 sec or so and lengthen the walking intervals. The idea is to find the minimum level you can tolerate and then gradually work up from there.

If that's too much, then you need to find activities that are harder than walking but less hard than running to build up your conditioning and perhaps lose a few more pounds.

I'm sure you'll get there, but you might have to take some baby steps first.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I always was told in through your nose, out through your mouth to control your breathing while running.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started running a few months ago and still do, sometimes. I was 30 pounds heavier than and it has gotten easier as I've lost weight, but still have to work at it.

I had to learn to run slower (easy on the treadmill when you set the speed, not so easy outside where you have to learn to control everything.

Good luck!
  • marathonmommy0205
    Options
    I am a runner for many years and used to have the same exact problem when I started. I learned a lot from my trainers when I did my first marathon. If your getting side cramps there can be many reasons. For example your running to fast and not breathing out enough. Your body automatically knows to breath in so you have to slowl breath out as long and you can before breathing in again but make sure its at a medium pace and also you may be running to fast to start. I was always told that while running you should be able to carry a conversation with someone with out struggling for air or get tired. The intervals is good thing too, try running 3 min and walking 1 min it's much better for the body. I hope this works for you. Good luck!
  • stephajo
    stephajo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice everyone! you've been very helpful! I think I will try running at a slower pace first and if that doesn't work I'll shorten the amount of time!