Yoghurt makes me sick, protein snacks ideas?

Options
MissFlawed
MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
I have something strange going on and was wondering if anyone else has expierence with this.

For some odd reason, I get bad acid reflux from yoghurt and quark. Yet I have milk in my oatmeal every morning and feel fine. Cheese is no problem either. Danone's oikos yoghurt with blueberries strangely enough doesn't seem to be a problem (too bad it's very expensive and has not a lot of protein in it).

So because I no longer want to hurt my body by eating something it obviously can't stand very well, I'm looking for some (CHEAP) snack recipes. I'd love something like a cookie, cupcake or a smoothie.. But I don't use protein powder, so I guess that kinda limits my choices as well. Can't use tuna, since I already have it twice a week for lunch.

Ideal I look for 10g of protein for 100 calories.

Thanks already! =)

Replies

• luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I can't tolerate yogurt either, at least not for days in a row - I get a horrendous migraine EVERY TIME! I like it so much that after I'm off of it awhile, I try again but the last one was so bad that I think I'm off of it for good. I substitute 2 light mozzarella sticks.
  • MissFlawed
    Options
    @luvsunshine1

Wow migraine? That sounds awful!
    Same story here, I like it as well and it's so quick and easy, great for a college student.. But my stomach has been burning for three hours now.. No more for me.

To answer my own question, I figure I can throw in beans in my smoothies instead of yoghurt. Problem solved!

Thank you beans, for being so nutritious and cheap!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cottage cheese? Pretty versatile savoury or sweet (add fruit)
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you want something sweet, cottage cheese is the way to go. You can flavor it up so many different ways. I prefer more savory snacks, so my go-to snacks right now are roasted edamame (found in the bulk section of the grocery) and turkey sticks (similar to Slim Jim, but more like meat and less like leather).
  • MissFlawed
    Options
    I've heard of cottage cheese yes! Too bad it costs one euro for 100 grams here, I seriously can't afford that (yoghurt is only 0.69 cents for 500 grams!)

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I can't count in ounces or cups :s. Just know that it's not cheap over here! lol

I can see if I can find it cheaper somewhere though, let me check it out :smile:
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Is this goat yogurt or cow? I'd recommend goat if you can find it. Easier on the body.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs,canned salmon patties,egg salad,ground meat patties,protein bars.
  • Laurakrug1234
    Laurakrug1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    there are recipes on pinterest for making your own protein bites/bars that are quite delicious, without the addition of added protein, it could be difficult to hit 10 grams but have you considered adding some silken tofu to your smoothie? I use only fruit, unsweetened nut milk and spices...freezing fruit can take the place of ice cubes, tofu would bulk the protein level up
  • MichaelKurfurst
    Options
    Try Quest Ptotein Bars! 20g Protein 4 Net Carbs 1g Sugar and 14-18g of fiber in each bar! Enjoy
  • jillmcafee
    jillmcafee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can't tolerate yogurt either, at least not for days in a row - I get a horrendous migraine EVERY TIME! I like it so much that after I'm off of it awhile, I try again but the last one was so bad that I think I'm off of it for good. I substitute 2 light mozzarella sticks.

Hi, @luvsunshine1. It might be the sweetener in the yogurt. A lot of manufacturers have recently (it seems) switched over to using sucralose as a sweetener. Sucralose is chlorinated sugar (yep, chlorine) and it gives me migraines big time. It seems to be the latest go-to sweetener, so now I have to check all the labels.

OP, I have a hard time getting enough protein too. Hard-boiled eggs are portable, and you can make a whole weeks worth at once. Cheese sticks or the little Baby-Bells are good too, though more expensive. Nut butters and nuts also have some protein in them.
  • Steadmn
    Steadmn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Jillmcafee, I get severe headaches as Well, to ALL the sugar substitutes. I cannot use grocery store Stevia either, it is as well processed to irritate me the least but a major aftertaste. I use a powder form, 99% pure (vs. granulated) and not mixed with another binder or sugar sub like Erythritol. I purchase mine from www.trimhealthymama.com. I LOVE their products but I'm sure if you do an extensive research, you may be able to purchase a 99% pure powder form elsewhere...? It is a different taste from REAL sugar but I can live with that, not headaches. I also tried www.wheylow.com for awesome sugar replacement, made from whey. But I still get ever so slight headaches with it.

OP, I too as well struggle getting protein. I put "glucci" Gluconomann fiber product from trim healthy mama too. It makes everything slower process digesting because it is 100% fiber. I use again powder form from THM, but you can purchase all forms from lots of places ESP capsules.

My go to protein is Greek yoghurt, Aldi's version of laughing cow cheese, 1-2% cottage cheese, nuts of all kind, powdered peanut butter (I use PB2 from my Walmart or Amazon), keep boiled eggs in fridge, eggs of all kind including liquid egg whites added to things for extra umph, deli style turkey friend in a pan w a tad bit of oil spray to prevent sticking and of course all types of cheeses on hand. Laughing Cow does not really need refrigerated so it is a great travel smart alongside nuts for quick snack.

Blessings! ~ Lori Sailor
  • Transformed428
    Transformed428 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Re fried beans thinned with a bit a chicken stock and add a bit of your favorite cheese till it melts you can make a little or a lot at one time with a can of retried beans.
    I also like to make turkey/ ham roll ups with meat from the grocery deli, I put a slice of my favorite cheese or a cheese stick , or chive and onion cream cheese in the middle.
    I know you said you don't like yogurt or the stomach can't handle it ... You might try , if you live in the states Tillamook Farmstyle Greek yogurt fruit on the bottom you mix in , most have 14-15 G protein. All natural No preservatives, Artificial sweeteners or colors . I add a 1/4 cp bear Naked Vanilla Almond granola for 10 more Grams protein .

Mediterranean Chicken Skewers from your local Costco store . They have 20 Grams Protein for two skewers . Theese are easy cook in microwave, oven, BBQ grill or a (George foreman for 6 min a side )

Do you have a Grocery outlet near you ? If so they have ...They have P3 Portable Protein Snacks for $.50 cents . 12 g of protein no artificial preservatives.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't really react to yogurt-- I just don't particularly like it.
    My go-to protein snacks are: almonds or walnuts (usually unsalted), hard boiled eggs, beef or turkey jerky, and occasionally PB2 peanut butter.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    •Cottage cheese (14 g per ½-cup / 4 oz. serving)
    •Dried spirulina seaweed (8.6 g per 1 cup serving)
    •Bagels (7.2 g per small bagel, 3" diameter)
    •Oatmeal (6 g per 1 cup cooked)
    •Bulgur (6 g per 1 cup cooked)
    •Brown rice (5 g per 1 cup cooked)
    •Spinach (5 g per 1 cup cooked)
    •Baked potatoes (4.5 g per medium potato, skin included)
    •Peas (4.5 g per ½ cup serving)
    •Avocados (4 g per avocado)
    •Broccoli (4 g per 1 cup cooked)
    Oh, and quinoa (5 g per 1/2 cup)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You should try Canadian yogurt if you have a chance. It's so much less... fake seeming. It might be the additives in the yogurt.

But anyway...

Hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, and tuna are really easy go to snacks (not all at once). For me :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is shrimp with a small spoon of cocktail sauce.