Eating healthy for mental health

Options
Hi I am new. I am eating grain free, sugar free, and starch free to reach my mental health goal! I have been eating this way for 2 years and I am now on the lowest dose of medication in 15 years! My goal is to get well and get off medication. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in 2000. I am looking for a fitness friend for support. I am also a beekeeper and wife/mother of three grown girls. hello!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Good luck and please keep up with your dr appointments, even if you feel better. If something does not work out, you do not want to let things progress and set you back.
  • RedLipsThinHips
    Options
    Wow! A beekeeper, how cool is that. Congratulations on being on that lowest dose on 15 years, thats impressive. B)
  • QueenBeeKeep
    QueenBeeKeep Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support, it means a lot to me
  • elykt
    elykt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is amazing. I know how eating healthy and taking care of yourself can have a bit impact on mental health as well as physical health. I've had issues with anxiety the past few years and the last few months I've noticed a big difference after eating well and making sure I work out regularly.

Whatever you are doing, keep it up! Being a mom and a beekeeper sounds like a lot of work, but a lot of fun too.
    :)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am bi polar as well. I switched to organic food and OMG the difference was amazing. I never realized how bad off I was until I got out of it. Eating for mental health works and I wanted to support you on that. I am a total believer from experience. Yay bees!
  • 59newGIRL19
    59newGIRL19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations! I have been reading about the effects our diet has on neurotransmitters and the immune system and it is fascinating! Have you read Dr. Perlmutter's books, Brain Maker and Grain Brain? I just got them last week and even just skimming the information, I have learned so much. If we fuel our bodies right, they work MUCH better!!! And I don't have to tell you how healthy honey is! Great job!
  • traceylyn68
    traceylyn68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new. I am eating grain free, sugar free, and starch free to reach my mental health goal! I have been eating this way for 2 years and I am now on the lowest dose of medication in 15 years! My goal is to get well and get off medication. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in 2000. I am looking for a fitness friend for support. I am also a beekeeper and wife/mother of three grown girls. hello!

• bbrantner
    bbrantner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So happy to have found others with a common goal! I have Bipolar Type II. Sugar, carbs and caffeine cause me to be hypomanic (bouncing off the walls with energy). I work in an ER as a medical provider so I have become addicted to sugar to make it through my 12-16 hour shifts. Since starting my career 7 years ago, I have gone from running 30-40 miles a week at 145 lb to huffing and puffing after walking a few minutes at 265lb. Let's keep this thread going and work on our physical and mental health!
  • QueenBeeKeep
    Options
    Thank you for all the uplifting comments! And yes, PearlyGirl135 I have read Grain Brain, It is a very good book
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have Bipolar as well.
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Bipolar 2 also. Checked for link between bipolar, sugar and starch online. Could only find depression and sugar.
    Ideas?
  • QueenBeeKeep
    Options
    There is nothing written about diet and Bipolar. I've searched too. Though there is a chapter on diet and the effects of the brain in Elaine Gotchall's book Breaking The Vicious Cycle. The diet she promotes for Celiac and other bowel problems is the diet I am on.
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Thank you Queen Bee...I'll check it out!!!
  • darrienmichael
    darrienmichael Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar type I. I'm on 3 meds and am very dependent on them. It would be nice get off of them. I've been doing Weight Watchers and that plan allows a person to have high amounts of sugar, a real flaw, and I'm a sugar fiend. MFP is much less tolerant of sugar intake. I'm addicted to sugar so restricting will be tough, although I've heard that the less you eat, the less you crave. We'll see.