4 Week Muscle Cramp

Options
Hey guys- I've had the same cramping feeling in my right shoulder for almost 4 weeks now and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why it won't go away. It feels sort of like a charlie-horse, not like muscle soreness, at all.

I do some light lifting with 5-10 lb hand weights 3 times a week, but most of what I do is cardio- zumba, walking, jogging, etc.

I've tried resting it for a week, applying heat and cold, and it hasn't changed at all.

Also, I know it's nothing in my daily routine (like, outside of working out) because nothing has changed. Anyone know what it could be or have a suggestion on how to alleviate it?

Replies

• liberator18
    liberator18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor. I thought I had an ankle or foot injury, turned out to be a blood clot (DVT) in my leg that was causing cramping and swelling. I was 37 at the time and thought blood clots were for sick people who don't exercise.

If something doesn't resolve itself with rest and self-care, it's worth seeing a professional.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    See a physio therapist.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That's not good. I was hoping to get away with not going to the doc on this one. Oh well! :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    If it feels like a charlie horse, it's likely a muscle strain. There's different degrees to them.

Rest and reduction of use is what is usually recommended.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Check your form, too. One of my shoulders is really, really sensitive to form and gets a strange pain inside it for a while after I'm the least bit off. Look up how to protect your rotator cuff muscles, and you'll see pointers about exactly how to hold your arm in the socket, etc.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Where exactly is the cramping?

4YYSzW7.jpg

What kind of work do you do?
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Definitely the Supraspinatus.

I'm in accounting. But I doubt it's that. I've been doing the same work at the same desk for 8 years. My workouts started in June of this year.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    oh yes. i know that muscle.
    i got it when i started running. i fixed by massaging the area and by focusing on relaxing my shoulders, on pushing them down.