Ideas for using up frozen spinach

Options
MarvelGrrl
MarvelGrrl Posts: 622 Member
I'm looking for new recipes that I can make with frozen spinach. I'm trying to use it up so I'll have more room to keep some homemade frozen meals. I usually use the spinach is curries, alone as a side, and in homemade soups. Any suggestions or new recipes would be great :smile: thanks!

Replies

• melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Spinach is awesome in egg based dishes like quiche or frittatas. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    drop it into a soup
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I always defrost 2 - 4 cubes of frozen spinach and stir into meat sauces such as spaghetti bolognaise, chilli con carnes, lasagnes.

When making beefburgers or meatballs I add some to the mixture before forming into patties or balls.

I also stir into casseroles.

Mix it into the sauce you spread on pizzas.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Spinach is awesome in egg based dishes like quiche or frittatas. :)

+1
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Spinach dip for veggie chips
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Creamed spinach is good. I sauteed a tiny amount of minced onion and garlic. Added the spinach then thickened with light laughing cow cheese. It was really good.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I throw it frozen in anything that simmers on the stove or in the crockpot. Most recently I added it to pasta as it was boiling and crockpot chili.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Can use in juices , can make a dip with sour cream and salt and pepper (have tried with canned spinach)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Mix with ricotta in your stuffed pasta, lasagna, etc.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I add either fresh or frozen spinach to just about everything I cook. Extra vitamins and fibre never hurts!

Bolognese, soups, sauces, curries, anything in the slow cooker, chilli, lasagne, frittata, omelettes, smoothies.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I saute it (or kale) pan with a little olive oil spray, diced onions and chopped grape tomatoes, add a little garlic or whatever spices strike my fancy at the moment and serve over spaghetti squash. Very tasty and very filling!
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Spinach puffs

Muffin tin
    Wonton wrappers
    leftover spinach
    1/4 lf cottage cheese or 1 tbsp. lf cream cheese
    sriracha (optional)
    salt, pepper, favorite spices
    parsley

If using cottage cheese - blend cottage cheese until creamy with hand blender, or food processor. Otherwise, just add a tbsp. of low fat cream cheese.

Preheat oven to 350. Place a wonton wrapper in each cup of the muffin tin. Mix together everything else. Place a tbsp. of spinach mixture into each wonton wrapper and wet the tips and pinch wontons shut. Bake for 10-12 min or until edges are crispy.

These are super delicious. You can also add crab, tuna, or any kind of fish protein for more bulk.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I also throw it in smoothies :)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    i put frozen spinach in omelettes with feta cheese...one of my favorite meals.

I've also made smoothies with frozen spinach, frozen raspberries or a banana, unflavored whey protein, cinnamon and a little water.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Make Salmon with chicken broth and dump the Spinach in; the grab an immersion blender and break the spinach down.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Justifier wrote: »
    I throw it frozen in anything that simmers on the stove or in thE crockpot. Most recently I added it to pasta as it was boiling and crockpot chili.

I second the pasta. The spinach goes well in the sauce and is a good way to hide it if you have kids that might complain. Also try dry browning some pinenuts, put them aside. Wilt some spinach in oil then mix in the nuts and serve.
  • troymeyers
    troymeyers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all ideas. I love spinach but never thought about freezing it.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    troymeyers wrote: »
    Thanks for all ideas. I love spinach but never thought about freezing it.

I think most people in this thread are referring to chopped spinach you buy in the frozen food aisle.

If you want to freeze fresh spinach, I've seen people blend it up with water and freeze in ice cube trays. Then they are ready to drop in soups, pastas, or smoothies.

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I also throw it in smoothies :)

Do you throw it in just as is? I've been using frozen kale to throw in smoothies also but recently I saw a bag in the freezer section of my store that had a warning to cook it before using. So I started to think maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe you aren't supposed to use it raw when frozen?