Birthday Cheat Day

Options
Ok, I have a serious question...

My birthday is in about 2 weeks and I've been good about not going over my 1200 calories a day for a month now (a month & a half by then). Will I ruin my progress if I have a COMPLETE cheat day on that day? I mean, eat a piece of cake WITH Ice Cream. Have my favorite meal from my favorite restaurant and some damn french fries!? I feel the need to make sure this is ok before I do it LOL. What would you guys do?

Replies

• lessfluffy
    Options
    I think everyone deserves a birthday that is how they want it. If you go off your plan, get back on the next day. It's that simple. Congratulations on your progress so far!!!!
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    :drinker: It was my birthday about 6 weeks after I started, and I had a total cheat day - drunk lots of alcohol and ate alot. Its the only spike in my net calories report!

It was good for ME to have one last blow out birthday, because I really believe that for the rest of my years, I will never have another birthday like that. Only because I've learnt so much, and I know I can have fun without all the food and alcohol - plus by going without alcohol on all but 3 occasions, these last 4 months it only takes 1 glass and I feel all silly these days!
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    Of course you have to do what you feel comfortable with. Generally even on special days I try to make smart choices and eat within my calorie range. Went to a kid's birthday party the other day. They had pizza. I split a slice with my daughter, ate several fruit kabobs, and was satisfied. Then when it was time for cake and ice cream, we skipped the ice cream (daughter is allergic anyway) and split a piece of cake. I was very satisfied, and was happy with myself for making good choices. I'm all about a treat, but it is important to me to stay within my calorie range. Just my take on it. But if you decide to have a cheat day, GO FOR IT!! Lot's of people do it! :)
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to cheat on occasion. They actually say once a week. So if you have been good all this time, one day won't hurt you. Just don't cheat all day, pick that one meal and cake w/ ice cream.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    One cheat day every now and then will not hurt you. Just don't make a habit of it! Enjoy your birthday girl! Happy Birthday!!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    One day is not going to make a difference BUT you have to make sure that you are back to the plan the next day!! If you are going to do it though, plan it and enjoy it. There is no point in doing this if you're going to feel guilty about it.

Have a Happy Birthday (mine is the 14th!!)
  • snakegoddess_3
    Options
    You would never be successful if you didn't indulge once in a while. I give myself once a week. So enjoy your birthday get the fries, the cake with ice cream the works, guilt free. Jump back on the horse the next day. It's not going to ruin your hard work. I wouldn't weight yourself the next day though, the reason being is that when you eat out there is a lot of sodium so make sure you drink lots of water the following days.
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    Consider your posted quote as you plan for your birthday: ~*~"Don't give up what you really want for what you want right now!"~*~ What do you really want for your birthday??
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I say go for it, it is worth it and something that you better be able to do if it is important to you or you will not be able to stick with this plan for the long run. I would say be sure to log it or as close as you can as well, just so you are aware of it and know how much you did eat and how to enjoy other days (such as someone elses bday, wedding, or a party) without going as much over as you did for yours but still have fun.
    What you might actually find is that you plan to go over but your new awareness and routines have cut back on your willingness to overindulge tooooo much.
    Happy birthday in advance and good luck on your goals.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    consider this a "lifestyle change" instead of a diet... it isn't reasonable to think that you will never have occasions where you eat something unhealthy. BUT it may be different for others, but I find when I eat unhealthy foods I start getting cravings and temptations for DAYS after that make it harder for me to get back on track, so personally I prefer to skip it rather than induldge.... just my opionion. I'm pretty strict ;)
  • skshep
    skshep Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's input. I have had a couple of 'special occasions' since I've started dieting (my son's birthday, my sister's graduation) and even though the opportunities were there for me to overindulge I stayed within my calorie range. I can't help but feel like I deserve ONE bad day and then back to the grind. It's hard to tell if that's just an excuse or not though :)
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I think once in awhile it is ok to splurge by having a piece of cake on your birthday just be careful. I recently had a birthday and my sister made me a chocolate khalua coffee cake (soo good), then I got injured and had a rough 1.5 wks with my food habits. I think if you can keep it to 1 day you will be fine.

Happy Early Birthday!!!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day recently and literally felt sick afterwards from all the sugar! It was a good lesson to learn... to give in every once in a while, but not go too overboard. I say eat the cake. You might regret it afterwards because of the way your body is feeling, but you shouldn't feel guilty because you had 1 piece of cake. It'll just take a smidge longer to reach that goal.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just remember, 3500 calories <----> 1 pound of body fat. Even if you manage to eat 3500 calories ABOVE your BMR, you would only gain one pound! While it is a small setback and can be discouraging, I wouldn't call it "ruining your progress."

Enjoy your birthday, and don't feel guilty about it :smile:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I actually JUST posted a blog about my cheat day for my fiancee's birthday. It is perfectly ok to have an all-out cheat day, especially on your birthday! Just make sure it's a once in a blue moon occasion and get right back on track!

My blog if you're interested: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Jorra/view/the-cheat-day-110783
  • outburstjessi
    Options
    My birthday was this past Saturday and I didn't log as a gift to myself. It was interesting because even though I knew I wouldn't be keeping track, I wasn't too tempted throughout the day! I did have a piece of my own birthday cake (which was an ice cream cake) and it was AMAZING, and a few other snacks - but overall I did not do as much damage as I thought I was going to. I am totally all for splurging on your birthday - after all it IS your day!! And as long as you jump right back on the wagon the next day, what's the REAL harm? Enjoy your day!!
  • InspiredByStreisand42
    InspiredByStreisand42 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a serious question...

My birthday is in about 2 weeks and I've been good about not going over my 1200 calories a day for a month now (a month & a half by then). Will I ruin my progress if I have a COMPLETE cheat day on that day? I mean, eat a piece of cake WITH Ice Cream. Have my favorite meal from my favorite restaurant and some damn french fries!? I feel the need to make sure this is ok before I do it LOL. What would you guys do?

It's mine tomorrow and I plan on not counting! I'm still going to exercise, but I plan to have a damn tasty lunch out (with fries!) and some cake in the evening :P I might be making up for it until my next birthday (!!!), but if there's one day it's ok to blow the diet, it's a birthday! And Christmas, of course! Happy birthday for when it comes around! :)
  • skshep
    skshep Posts: 30
    Options
    Yeah, I think I've made my mind up. I'm going to have a day where I don't stress about it. I am still going to log it though because I think it will be good for me to see what I actually ended up eating. I plan on having lunch out (with fries because I miss them) & then dinner at a Hibachi Grill Japanese Steakhouse. I usually get Chicken Teriyaki there anyway and the calories aren't incredibly high. The rice is just more carbs than I would usually allow myself. I'm looking forward to it though. I'll work out a little more the day before and the day after! :wink:
  • beautymama2011
    Options
    Heck no! if its your birthday treat yourself and worry about it the next day if you choose to worry about it at all <3
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    It's your birthday! Treat yourself to whatever you want on your special day...but don't turn it into your birthday week and month. oops :)