Pre Work Out?

Good Morning All. I've found that over the last year or so my energy level has plummeted. I'm not "old", nearing 30. I know this is something that comes as we get older but it's really starting to affect me. My work scheduled changed last year and I can no longer go to the gym in the AM and now go in the evening. But by the time I get off I feel dead. I'm wanting suggestions on pre-workouts to give me a boost. However, I don't want something that's going to make me feel like I'm having a heart attack, especially because I LOOOOVE to run at the very beginning of my workout. I've found that if I take a pre-workout, by the time I'm done running my heart is beating out of my chest and I don't like it. Any suggestions on something that will just give me a little nudge? Thanks for your suggestions!

Replies

• scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    If you don't mind me asking, what preworkout are you using? They all contain a myriad of ingredients, so narrowing down the specific cause of your symptoms may be difficult. Usually the main ingredients are caffeine, creatine, beta alanine, L-Citrulline or L-Arginine, and some kind of focus enhancing blend. The quickest answer may be that you are sensitive to the amount of caffeine (many have 300mg or more per serving).
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Actually, very few preworkouts contain 300 mg caffeine or more. In a sample of 120 top-selling PWOs, only 15% contained 300 mg or more.

Another ingredient that is hit or miss is Yohimbe. It makes me feel like death, so I avoid preworkouts that contain it.

Also:

Agmatine > Arginine
    Citrulline Malate > L-Citrulline
    Creatine Monohydrate > all other types of creatine
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    Good Morning All. I've found that over the last year or so my energy level has plummeted. I'm not "old", nearing 30. I know this is something that comes as we get older but it's really starting to affect me. My work scheduled changed last year and I can no longer go to the gym in the AM and now go in the evening. But by the time I get off I feel dead.

I don't use "pre-workout" but just wanted to make the comment ...

I was in the best shape of my life at the age of 33, and maintained my fitness quite well through my 30s. My fitness level didn't really start dropping off until about 42, and then only because of quite a serious illness. I wouldn't think your energy level should be plummeting because of age when you're not even 30 yet.

You might also look at other things ... your work/workout schedule (you say that's changed recently), the amount of sleep you're getting, what you are eating and drinking during the day, your health in general (have you been for a complete physical any time recently?) ...
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    I've tried both NO Explode and Hyper FX - both from BSN. Both are pretty similar so you can see which you like better. I'd start with a half serving first to test your tolerance and then see how you feel. I usually take a half scoop of the Hyper FX before I go for a 5 mile jog then come home and do some strength training and I feel great - not like I'm tweaking or my like my heart will pump out of my chest. Things to note: I get up a 4 AM for my jog so I'm also really tired before I head out and I'm 27 years old. Hope this helps.
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Actually, very few preworkouts contain 300 mg caffeine or more. In a sample of 120 top-selling PWOs, only 15% contained 300 mg or more.

Another ingredient that is hit or miss is Yohimbe. It makes me feel like death, so I avoid preworkouts that contain it.

Also:

Agmatine > Arginine
    Citrulline Malate > L-Citrulline
    Creatine Monohydrate > all other types of creatine

As mentioned, it could be Yohimbe or A2 (another form of yohimbe). People are either hit or miss with yohimbe, and yohimbe is a mild MAOi, which among things means it should not be used with products containing tyramine. However, some preworkouts contain both yohimbe and tyramine, which increases the risk of adverse cardiovascular conditions.

• ShawndaSallee
    ShawndaSallee Posts: 103 Member
    I don't actually take a pre-workout right now. I was searching for suggestions for something to give me just a little boost. My work cycle changed a year ago so that shouldn't be causing me to feel this way anymore. I get my physical every year and the last one checked out fine. Sleep...I go to bed to get the right amount of sleep but my sleep has always been plagued with nightmares, sleepwalking, and I'm starting to think sleep apnea. Both my parents have it and the things I've been experiencing are leading me to think about contacting a doctor. So I've never had restful sleep. I already have to get up at 0400 for work as it is, so getting up earlier is not an option. I have IBS so very much coffee in the afternoon will destroy my stomach. I'm expecting pre-workouts to also mess with my stomach, but am hoping to find something mild for just a small pick-me-up. I have tried both NO-explode and Jacked 3D both make me feel like my heart will pound out of my chest and I just don’t feel mix well with my love of cardio.

I really appreciate all of your help and your answers.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    prejym. aml makes a solid pre workout as well.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2015
    I use NO Explode (not everyday.. just a day when sleep was not great).. I can still get enough from it using 1/2 recommended dose.. You can get sample boxes of these on bodybuilding.com...
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    When I take a pre workout for my PM gym session, I struggle to fall asleep. I am sensitive to caffeine, so that might explain it.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    I love Prime Drive from complete nutrition.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    oh and fwiw, my local complete nutrition will mail me samples of things when i call and ask!!
  • jersey_54
    jersey_54 Posts: 278 Member
    my fav pre workout is sleeping
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Kidostud wrote: »
    When I take a pre workout for my PM gym session, I struggle to fall asleep. I am sensitive to caffeine, so that might explain it.

Oh that horse. I just fell in love with another horse. Horses are my passion. No disrespect meant.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    thinlizzie wrote: »
    Kidostud wrote: »

Oh that horse. I just fell in love with another horse. Horses are my passion. No disrespect meant.

Thanks. He's such a sweetie. Love him to bits.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    99% of the time I don't take a pre-work out. Those very rare times I do feel extremely rundown I have a cup of coffee and 2 rolls of Smarties. Perks me right up.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Sorry just struggling with nearly 30 and getting older. Since I'm pushing 50 I feel like my energy level is great and I would be surprised if age had anything to do with your energy level.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    oh man 30 pre kids, I was kicking *kitten* and taking names. You shouldn't need it, have a look at the underlying issues that might be causing this. Random guess: over trained, lack of sleep, iron inefficiency, too much partying.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    I don't actually take a pre-workout right now. I was searching for suggestions for something to give me just a little boost. My work cycle changed a year ago so that shouldn't be causing me to feel this way anymore. I get my physical every year and the last one checked out fine. Sleep...I go to bed to get the right amount of sleep but my sleep has always been plagued with nightmares, sleepwalking, and I'm starting to think sleep apnea. Both my parents have it and the things I've been experiencing are leading me to think about contacting a doctor. So I've never had restful sleep. I already have to get up at 0400 for work as it is, so getting up earlier is not an option. I have IBS so very much coffee in the afternoon will destroy my stomach. I'm expecting pre-workouts to also mess with my stomach, but am hoping to find something mild for just a small pick-me-up. I have tried both NO-explode and Jacked 3D both make me feel like my heart will pound out of my chest and I just don’t feel mix well with my love of cardio.

See your doctor first ... talk to him/her about the sleep issues.