My first 20

Options
Edjeep
Edjeep Posts: 65 Member
My wife bought me a bagstand for my heavy bag for Christmas, as I enjoyed the exercise in combo with my stationary bike, but had given up exercise all together a while back when I was told the bag shakes the whole house and I had to stop. This after I had just finally established a habit. So I was happy to get the stand and immediately set up my garage workout area again and decide 12/26 I was going to lose some weight and get back in shape. At the time I weighed about 276 (didn't get a good weigh in for a few days) On the 3rd of January, people at my office decided to do a Biggest Looser contest, and after consideration, I decided it would be good, as it would help me with the change I was starting. Around that time I found MFP too.

I have been getting some cardio every day, have been snowshoeing one time, a 6 mile wallk once, and mix up my week between stationary bike, heavy bag, wii fit (those are my off days..), my wife and I started doing a cardo kick boxing workout which we've done a couple of times, and I have focues on core using kettle bells. I have a history of back pain and it's important to me to get a good start without a back injury.

Of course portion control and better eating is a big part of it too. I log everything into MFP, all food, all exercise.

Today was the 4th week of weigh ins, and I am down 20 lbs since the 4th of January. That's 5 lbs a week, a little fast, but except for beign active more and getting soem exercise every day, I do not in any way feel like I am over doing it. I eat enough to be satisfied and do not feel deprived at all now that I cut all the junk food out.

Anyway, long winded way of saying my first 20 is out of the way, now I need to repeat several more times.

Replies

• Edjeep
    Options
    Well, crap. 3 years later, here I am back where I was when I posted this. I lost 42 lbs pretty quickly, failed to set follow on goals and slowly let myself creep right back to where I started. I'm now 20 down after trying this again. I've go longer terms goals, as well as short term, intermediate and quality of life goals. I found this thread today, while trying to find a way to see which threads I have posted in.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    welcome back
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Keep it up!
  • Rene75Patricia
    Rene75Patricia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'vebeen there too. Four years ago I started eating right and walking everynight. I lost forty pounds. Then I stopped walking and also stopped watching what I ate. Within two years I was back up and more heavy than before. So now I hope this time around it becomes a way of life rather than a moment in time. I miss my thin frame me.
  • Edjeep
    Options
    I don't know why I keep coming back to this post but I do. Today is a pretty big day in my MFP life.

Today has been 99 days back. Today I logged my first weight UNDER where I was 3 years ago when I quit. And I have lost a total of 50lbs since coming back.

I exercise more - completed several family hikes, 2 backpacking overnighters, and finished the C25K. My family has adjusted to my new routine.

I have exceeded every goal I have set for myself since coming back and have more goals laid out in front of me. I recently updated my goal on MFP from where I put it when I came back - I am 14 lbs away from that.. to a goal that was once unobtainable in my mind. When I updated my goal, it was nice to see that my MFP fish status icon is already over 1/2 way there! That's motivating.
  • Rene75Patricia
    Rene75Patricia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is truly fantastic.
    Edjeep wrote: »
    I don't know why I keep coming back to this post but I do. Today is a pretty big day in my MFP life.

Today has been 99 days back. Today I logged my first weight UNDER where I was 3 years ago when I quit. And I have lost a total of 50lbs since coming back.

I exercise more - completed several family hikes, 2 backpacking overnighters, and finished the C25K. My family has adjusted to my new routine.

I have exceeded every goal I have set for myself since coming back and have more goals laid out in front of me. I recently updated my goal on MFP from where I put it when I came back - I am 14 lbs away from that.. to a goal that was once unobtainable in my mind. When I updated my goal, it was nice to see that my MFP fish status icon is already over 1/2 way there! That's motivating.

• Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Awesome, keep up the great work!
  • Edjeep
    Options
    I just keep coming back to this for fun. :)
    Eating better (not crazy low cal), exercising more (running 3-5 time per week), generally more active (backpacking hiking and hunting..) My weight loss has averaged over 3 lbs per week, a little fast I know, but I keep asking myself should eat more or exercise less? The answer for me is neither. I've settled in to eating for -2.5lb per week loss, and usually only eating back a portion of the exercise calories, usually 25-35%

60 lbs down now. 5 lbs away from what was my original goal in the Spring. I have dropped the goal now, 25 away from that one for now.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    @Edjeep Great job! At least now you KNOW that the hardest part is maintaining. I was 60 lbs lighter 4 years ago after heavy exercise and watching what I ate. Then life got in the way... I have been back since early sept. with tons of mini-goals, UGW and even maintenance period
    Your story is encouraging. To realize it is possible to lose weight again, and that sometimes it will take a few tries to keep up maintenance in the long run... Better this daily logging of food + exercise than lifelong medication
    Let us know when you reach your goal and show your before/after pictures if you don't mind
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!