Options
2»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    hockey7fan wrote: »
    I am on a plan with a registered dietician at the local hospital. She recommends Flinstones Complete - it has everything you need.

The problem with these "complete" vitamins is that they just contain enough to prevent deficiency diseases per the RDA - the amount of vitamin C in Flinstones Complete will prevent scurvy, but 60 mg is not enough for optimal health. I take vitamin c to bowel tolerance, which for me when I'm healthy is 3,560 mg, or 1 t of my powdered vitamin C. (I'll absorb more before hitting bowel tolerance when I take it when I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.)

Except vitamin C won't do anything about your cold.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I am on a plan with a registered dietician at the local hospital. She recommends Flinstones Complete - it has everything you need.

The problem with these "complete" vitamins is that they just contain enough to prevent deficiency diseases per the RDA - the amount of vitamin C in Flinstones Complete will prevent scurvy, but 60 mg is not enough for optimal health. I take vitamin c to bowel tolerance, which for me when I'm healthy is 3,560 mg, or 1 t of my powdered vitamin C. (I'll absorb more before hitting bowel tolerance when I take it when I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.)

Except vitamin C won't do anything about your cold.

True. Taking vitamin C when you feel a cold coming on is like closing the barn door after the horse has already escaped.
    Consider having your Vitamin D tested as well - many people are deficient in this.

This is a good idea. Mine tested on the low side of normal and I live in the skin cancer capital of the U.S. Even here where the sun intensity is high, it shines 300+ days of the year and I'm out running in it several days each week, I still don't make enough of my own Vitamin D. My sister, also a runner, is actually deficient and now takes a large dose supplement on a regular basis.
  • Luzz4
    Luzz4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Depending on how interested you are, I would go to a naturopath doctor. They check your blood work and make recommendations based on your specific needs. I learned that you can get omega 3's from grass feed beef, so a supplement may not be necessary based on your shopping.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I take Nature Made Multivitamin for Women
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    spaluzzi4 wrote: »
    Depending on how interested you are, I would go to a naturopath doctor. They check your blood work and make recommendations based on your specific needs. I learned that you can get omega 3's from grass feed beef, so a supplement may not be necessary based on your shopping.

I have been seeing one for the past 2 1/2 years. She wouldn't recommend or suggest anything until a whole spectrum of lab tests came back to see what I was actually deficient on. Then she put me on these Multi-vitamins. I have my levels check every 4 months to make sure that everything is still okay.

http://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Laboratories-Ultra-Preventive-Tabs/dp/B00MJ6WI58/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1435769806&sr=8-6&keywords=douglas+labs&pebp=1435770030940&perid=02SFHS25Z4Z33RRW4VT3

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    A doctor recommended I take a multi, so I just got the Equate women's multi from Walmart. My labs showed I am only low on vitamin D, so I have to take an extra supplement for that. Other than the multi and the D, I also regularly take a probiotic and cal-mag-zinc. I usually order from vitacost or Swanson's online, but you can get them at Walmart or the grocery store, too.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @shetripsalot That multi is awfully expensive for a 30-day supply at 8 tablets per day.

I'm always wary of multi's that offer very high values of certain ingredients, specifically Vit A, E, Folate, and Selenium. It is fairly easy to get at least 50% dv of these nutrients from actual food. So the overdosed multivitamin is really just expensive pee that could actually be harmful over the long term.

Read that link I posted earlier --> http://www.aor.ca/assets/Research/pdf/fall_2005_article1.pdf
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hi please just be aware that if you are frequently getting too much of certain things it can be dangerous. Notably vitamin a. And maybe iron as well?
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to purchase, check out vitacost.com. They are affordable.
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    @shetripsalot That multi is awfully expensive for a 30-day supply at 8 tablets per day.

I'm always wary of multi's that offer very high values of certain ingredients, specifically Vit A, E, Folate, and Selenium. It is fairly easy to get at least 50% dv of these nutrients from actual food. So the overdosed multivitamin is really just expensive pee that could actually be harmful over the long term.

Read that link I posted earlier --> http://www.aor.ca/assets/Research/pdf/fall_2005_article1.pdf

The vitamins are quite pricey. I have been taking them for over 2 years now & have never felt better. I am not sure whether it's the clean eating, the vitamins, my healthy lifestyle or the combo that's making me feel awesome, regardless, I am going to continue taking them. :) Sure is cheaper than dr. visits.

• faithgirlfl
    faithgirlfl Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • xjulesjx
    xjulesjx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Centrum for Women. :)

These they're fantastic, improve your hair and nails almost immediately
  • brittanyniemeyer
    Options
    I just switched to Vitamin Code Perfect Weight. They're reasonable on Amazon. I feel good and they don't upset my stomach. I'm your same age with the same weight loss goal :)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life's My Kind Organics is just about the best line of multivitamins out there. Everything is sourced from whole fruits and veggies, making it more absorbable for your body, and it's the only USDA certified organic multi-vitamin, as far as I know. You'll pay for them, though. It's like $25 for a month's supply.

I take the Alive Women's Multi in pill form. It's cheap, they have coupons in the internet for it all the time, and while it isn't sources wholly from fruits and veggies, it does have a fruit/veggie blend included in it, putting it ahead of a lot of others multis in the grocery store. Plus, it doesn't have any artificial colors, which is something that you have to watch out for with a lot of multis.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I buy the Costco brand daily multi-vitamin. It's like $0.03 per tablet.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    New chapter multivitamins!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I buy naturemade. They are at least certified by an outside organization. So I at least know what I am getting.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I used to take Nature Made, multis and others. TMI coming: due to long chronic bouts of diarrhea from IBS, I know that many vitamins, including Nature Made, come back out the way they went in - completely whole; they simply don't dissolve.

So now I am taking Centrum Chewables. MFP has set my calories at 1200, so it can be very difficult to get certain micros covered. Iron, C and A were always really low, although just a few baby carrots raise the A (but I have trouble digesting them). Anyway, now they are always above the recommended daily amount, so I will keep taking them. Next time I may look into Centrum for women as I have experienced no difference in my hair and nails - thanks for the suggestion.