3,000-5,000 over in sodium. Why?

Options
i eat normal food. Rice, egg, cereal, ham, oatmeal, chicken. However, on the my fitness pal it always says I go overboard on sodium by the thousands. Do they expect me to eat pure salads? Smh no chill

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ham. Look it up. It is cured in brine.
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Prepackaged foods have a lot of sodium
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Deli meats are notoriously high in sodium. Maybe try for a lower sodium alternative?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Replace the ham with pork loin roast.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Are you preparing your own meals or buying them precooked? If the later, a lot of precooked foods bought from stores are very high in sodium.
  • jgnatca
    Options
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Ham is ridiculously high in sodium.

If the rice is that "heat it up for 90 seconds" or packaged and flavored kind, it'll be high, too.

Take a look at your diary and see which foods are high and then start making some changes.

Lots of good info here on how too much sodium sneaks into our diets and how to lower it: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/
  • RaijinPapi
    RaijinPapi Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Replace the ham with pork loin roast.

I don't have money to get pork lion
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical condition, you don't really have to worry about sodium. If you are concerned, just look for lower sodium alternatives to the things you eat regularly.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Use the money you save from not buying ham. Or switch to tuna.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Pork loin is cheaper than ham here. But yes, cut the processed foods. Cured meats, canned soups, flavor mixes, any fast food ;these things will skyrocket your sodium intake.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you buying the instant oatmeal? That has more sodium than regular rolled oats.
    If the sodium is a concern for you, look at each item in the diary.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Also.. open your diary and we can tell you why EXACTLY you're over on sodium.