100% whole wheat bread or 100% whole grain bread?

Options
So im doing my grocery shopping tonight and was wondering which is supposed to be better/healthier for you? Whole wheat or whole grain??? And if you have any suggestions on the lowest calorie breads that would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• melissamiller07
    melissamiller07 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I normally buy Country Kitchen Light Wheat Bread which has 35 calories in one piece. This is the lowest calories that I have found in a piece of bread.
  • OutDaWay
    OutDaWay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I normally go Whole Wheat myself
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I understand that whole grain is much healthier, (but may have more calories, too). I used to buy generic 'whole wheat bread' until a nutritionist told me that if I'm doing that I might as well get white bread.
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    depends. are you only looking at calories or also sodium? we have found that, with the brands we buy, whole wheat tends to have more sodium. we get sara lee 45 calorie slice bread.
    good luck
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I go whole wheat as well. If the first ingredient is the bread says, whole wheat flour, then you are buying whole wheat bread. If it says enriched or bleached wheat, it's not whole wheat. The best thing to do is compare your nutrition stats on the bread. I personally like the Nature's Own Sandwich Rounds, whole wheat.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, check the nutrition label.
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    Always look at the nutrition label and make sure that "whole wheat" isn't enriched or bleached. "Enriched" bread means that all the nutrients were stripped and then artificially added back, so you really may as well be eating white bread. I go for the whole grains, myself. The calorie content is a bit higher but it contains more fiber, which aids in weight loss and promotes heart-health. Remember, your goal is to be healthy and fit!
  • Brittany1414
    Options
    I eat rye bread personally
    It was lower cal then my whole wheat bread
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat whole grains, but always, always read the nutrition labels, meaning the ingredients, not just the number of calories, etc. If you want bread with lower calories, you'll want to buy light bread.
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    whole wheat is definitely the best kind you should get
    there are some saralee breads that are 45 cal per bread
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I believe whole grain is better for you because it contains actual "whole grains" as apposed tho whole wheat which could be just regular four with the bran added back in.