What Weight it too low?

Options
I'm an 18 year old girl currently 153 lbs and 5'8". During this summer I would like to lose as much weight as possible, I have looked a different BMI calculators online and they say different things. So which should I follow or should I not follow BMI?

Also what is your opinion of what weight would be good for me? What is too low??

I have one in mine and according to some its too low but others its just fine. Whats your opinion?

Replies

• Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that for 5 feet you should be 100 lbs or so, and for every inch over that you add 5 lbs. so I'd assume an average/decent weight for your height would range from 130-150 depending on your body frame/build. =)
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    I find that it's easiest to figure out where you feel best. The tough thing is not to think in terms of "Oh, I need to slim down a little here, and firm up a little there...", but train yourself you eat and exercise your way to what feels healthy. My original goal was 170 (from about 190). When I hit 170, I thought for a while about dropping down to 160, but when I lost a few more pounds, I didn't feel like myself, and didn't feel as strong, as fit, etc, so I went back up to 170 and stayed. I don't know if this helps, it is just what I found for myself.
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    Oh, and by the way, my BMI told me that I am still overweight until I am 169 or lower, but my fitness coach confirmed that I am at a good weight, so I wouldn't rely on that. BMI leaves out too many factors.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I think 135-145 would be great for you any smaller may be too thin and unhealthy ...try toning up and take it 5lbs at a time
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'-8" & my lowest weight was 115 (which was way too low) & my highest was 158. I'm about in the middle now. I'm comfortable at 125ish, give or take a little...but would also like to be toned, so trying not to focus too much on the number (as hard as that is).
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm at your same height about and I remember being 138-142 then, even though my goal was probably 125. Now I realize how unrealistic my past goal was for how athletic I was then too. Oh, and I looked awesome right where I was at; just wish I could've just enjoyed it :)

Three kids and 12 years later my goal is 145; but it's pretty irrelevant I'm told because my BF% is already kinda low.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type. Those with a smaller frame should aim a little lower. It also depends on how fit you are. By volume, muscle does weigh more than fat, so someone who has a lot of muscle mass could be technically "obese" by a BMI calculator but obviously not be truly overweight.

I agree that you should focus less on the number on the scale and more on how your clothes fit and how you feel.
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 8.5" and currently weigh 136 lbs. I consider myself thin and fairly lean. It's really up to you to decide what kind of body you want, but maybe try for 135 and see how you feel. I wouldn't go lower than 125 lbs, that's very thin.
  • Anagirl18
    Anagirl18 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a small frame and I do not want to look super athletic I just want to be lean and thin. I haven't even been thin at my current height, my high weight being 175, so I didn't know how much thin people are my height weighed. Thanks for all your comments! So I might adjust my goal when I get down more, it will all depend on how I look and feel then.
  • ilikeflowers
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 128 lbs but I have a very small frame. My fingers overlap almost past my first knuckle so i just have small bones. My best friend is the same height as me but is about 155 lbs and it looks great on her! She wants to be more in the 140 range but anything less than that would be too thin because she has a bigger bone frame. You can check your frame size by putting your thumb and middle finger together around your wrist. If they over lap you have a small frame, if they touch you're average, if they don't touch you have a bigger bone frame. There is no right or wrong frame size it's just genetics, and that test isn't perfect it's just kinda a general convenient and cheap guide :) if anyone knows a better way to tell please share! Make sure you have plenty of fresh fruits veggies and protein. Be patient and don't try to lose more than a half pound or maybe a pound a week. And plenty of water :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You have to have some idea of your frame size, body fat % and fat free mass. At your height I have worked with people whose "ideal" weight (for the exact same body fat %) varied over a 40-50lb range.

And if you are exercising and lifting weights, the "ideal" weight scale number can change over time.

I would recommend that you start with the basics--choose a reasonable calorie target-1600 calories or so-- and work establishing consistent exercise habits and a good cardio and strength routine. Start with a goal of say 15 lbs loss and see how it goes from there.