Who eats actual meals, and who's a snacker?

Options
I've noticed I never have full meals anymore since ive started dieting...i kind of miss it! For instance today (similar to most other days) breakfast i had 3 boiled eggwhites, wait 2 hours then my snack was a protein bar, then wait another 2 hours then lunch will be those fat free tuna and cracker boxes (which in my opinion doesnt even count as a real meal, i think most people eat them as a snack) then 2 hours after that i will have string cheese OR trail mix, then in 2 hours yogurt, and for dinner, i'll have a salmon fillet with no sides. I don't consider ANY of these a real meal. Am i the only one that eats this way or is this pretty normal?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have 3 meals and snacks. :) I make sure i have a sit down dinner with the family everyday, i think it is important. i will have an afternoon snack and a snack after dinner or after my son is in bed.
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm eating all day long, honestly. I eat breakfast, then a snack, then lunch, a snack, dinner, snack. I eat when I feel like it as long as it's a healthy choice (no junk!) and I stay within my limits. It works for me.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I eat every few hours just like the experts say to do! I have full meals and healthy snacks during each day. :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I ususally have like one or two actual meals.
    If I'm lucky.
    My job gets in the way.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i don't wait more than 3-4 hours between meals. But I don't snacks...I have 4-5 small meals a day.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If it's bugging you, see if you can make 3 of the meals more "meal-like", and let the other 3 be more "snack-like". Don't forget your veggies. Rule of thumb should be some protein + some carbs + some veggies (optional, but try to have veggies with as many meals as possible; at least 2). A piece of salmon with no sides, for instance, is not a balanced meal or snack. With some brown rice or sweet potato and a salad or green veggies, it becomes a perfect meal.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I used to be a snacker (or 5-6 small meals a day really).

Then, I went away on a business trip where I couldn't eat like that, became a meal eater and realized I liked it better just because I wasn't constantly thinking about food. I still believe that all being equal it's better to eat the 5-6 small meals, but for me and my obsessive nature, I really am liking eating meals better. I don't feel like my life is ran by food all day long.
  • maghedo
    maghedo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That happens to me from time to time. You should incorporate real meals with lower calories to ensure you are not depriving yourself of something you like to have. One thing i do is eat the frozen lean cuisine meals to ensure i at least have a "meal" per se. If you don't do something like that or similar you may revert back to old habits.

Also try to cook more and pack your meals it guarantees that you can have at lease 300 to 400 calorie meals.

As for your salmon eat veggies as side those are calroies you can count but know that it benefits you and doesnt really add to much to the meal. especially veggies that arent covered in cheese or alot of butter. etc
  • maghedo
    maghedo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That happens to me from time to time. You should incorporate real meals with lower calories to ensure you are not depriving yourself of something you like to have. One thing i do is eat the frozen lean cuisine meals to ensure i at least have a "meal" per se. If you don't do something like that or similar you may revert back to old habits.

Also try to cook more and pack your meals it guarantees that you can have at lease 300 to 400 calorie meals.

As for your salmon eat veggies as side those are calroies you can count but know that it benefits you and doesnt really add to much to the meal. especially veggies that arent covered in cheese or alot of butter. etc
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    3 meals and maybe one snack. Anything more than 3 meals and 2 snacks (Some do 3-4 meals and no snacks) and it is called grazing which is not healthy.

If you are always hungry I would ask about your protein and fiber levels. How much protein is in the protein bar vs carbs/sugar? If less than 17gr protein and more than 25gr carb/sugar (Combined total) then that could be making you hungry.

You will find what works for you, we are all different. Protein should be first in your foods along with fiber and make sure you are getting in your 64oz of water everyday.

You can do it! Best of Luck!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm eating all day long, honestly. I eat breakfast, then a snack, then lunch, a snack, dinner, snack. I eat when I feel like it as long as it's a healthy choice (no junk!) and I stay within my limits. It works for me.

I do the same thing, ... and I love it!!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Due to my job I don't have the luxury of snacking all day. For me it is usually three meals. The rare day I have a snack, it will be a mid-morning fruit or yogurt break.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Eat however you feel comfortable, as long as you are within your calorie goal! What is the exact defininiton of a 'meal' anyway?? I think the way you are eating is great, as long as it works for you!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I do the same thing, ... and I love it!!!

Here's to us! :smile:

Ro
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i usually eat snacks... unless someone is cooking a good dinner because then you better believe i'm going to skip a snack and load my plate! lol. in using this site i've learned it's about portioning and balance i still eat the same things i used to, i just watch how much.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This is a hard question to answer, as I eat every few hours but I also have what I consider "full" meals. Have you tried bulking up meals with veggies and beans? I love eggs with sauteed spinach (in a little garlic and lemon and cayenne and veggie broth!) and tomatoes. I love a lunch with spicy chicken, black beans, and a spinach (or any type of leafy green) with 1 oz of feta or goat cheese. It is a salad with no dressing and completely delicious :)
  • jujubean1992
    Options
    3 meals and maybe one snack. Anything more than 3 meals and 2 snacks (Some do 3-4 meals and no snacks) and it is called grazing which is not healthy.

If you are always hungry I would ask about your protein and fiber levels. How much protein is in the protein bar vs carbs/sugar? If less than 17gr protein and more than 25gr carb/sugar (Combined total) then that could be making you hungry.

You will find what works for you, we are all different. Protein should be first in your foods along with fiber and make sure you are getting in your 64oz of water everyday.

ACTUALLY! "grazing" which is eating a small snack every two hours is better for you than eating three of four large meals... it's better for your digestive tract, AND boosts your metabolism. so i'd like to know who told you that you shouldn't snack.
  • jujubean1992
    Options

ACTUALLY! "grazing" which is eating a small snack every two hours is better for you than eating three of four large meals... it's better for your digestive tract, AND boosts your metabolism. so i'd like to know who told you that you shouldn't snack.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Small snacks make it easier for me than eating three meals through the day. I'm more prone to overeat if I don't snack.
  • Hartbarney05
    Options

Ditto.