Random Musing

Options
sbmcm
sbmcm Posts: 32 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
Like many people on here, I have a lot of weight to lose. I've been very heavy basically my entire life -- I don't think I've been a healthy weight since I was about 7 (?), so not surprisingly, I've been on a lot of diets/weight loss routines in the intervening decades. And I've lost weight at times, getting close to my goal weight and then retreating.

Recently I was thinking about all my previous weight loss failures, and I realized they weren't failures, even though I'm again trying to lose the weight. With each effort, I picked up some random habit/knowledge/strength that has stuck with me, even through the weight gains. A long time ago, I stopped drinking non-diet soda. Now, I realize diet soda's not that much better for you, but it does help cut calories. Long ago, I stopped eating white bread and would only eat 100% whole wheat. Now I can't stand the taste of white bread. I could go on and on with the list.

I'm now realizing that all these things I picked up through the years are making my transition to a healthier lifestyle so much more manageable than it would have been otherwise. I've decided to stop even thinking about my previous "failures" as "failures," but as my learning process (my really, really LONG learning process, but my learning process, nonetheless).

What are some of the habits that you developed previously that have stuck with you?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    That's a good way to look at it. Not only that, but if you had never tried, might you not now have much further to go than you do? And without the knowledge!
  • sbmcm
    sbmcm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    That's a good way to look at it. Not only that, but if you had never tried, might you not now have much further to go than you do? And without the knowledge!
    That is very true!