Fair Food

Options
What does everyone eat at the fair?

Replies

• kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Caramel apples, elephant ears, fried Mars bars, popcorn, cotton candy...

A shorter list would be what DON'T I eat at the fair.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Turkey legs, grilled sweet corn, kettle corn,
  • MrsSgtBerger
    MrsSgtBerger Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I make fair day a cheat day with an intense cardio burn. I tend not to skip the gym even on my cheat days that way I don't feel too guilty. Admit it, nothing about fair food is good for you. Smoked turkey legs would probably be the best way to go if your truly going to watch yourself. But why not indulge? Workout hard prior to going or even the few days leading up to it and enjoy yourself. That's the best part about the fair.

My mouth is watering after I said smoked turkey.
    Funnel cakes with a massive amount of powdered sugar.
    Burgers on a stick
    Fried twinkles
    Donut burgers.
    Oh my god I'm hungry!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I save up calories because there's just not much you can eat that will help you keep under goal. Once upon a time, I thought eating those giant turkey legs was healthy because, well, it's turkey, right? NOPE. Those guys are anywhere from 700-1200 calories a pop. (I did order one after learning this, but I split it with my date and just tore a few pieces off.)

Some fairs will, occasionally offer sorbet on frozen oranges. That's probably the "healthiest" thing I've ever consumed at a fair.

Now - if you're just referring to foods we enjoy at the fair - wow - everything! Fried pickles, funnel cakes, fresh mead (for renaissance fairs), kettle corn, homemade fudge, cotton candy, meat kabobs, lemonade, cheesecake on a stick... it's all amazing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I must be the weirdo who thinks that most fair food just isn't worth the calories. I was hungry a month ago at a fair and got a Philly cheesecake and it wasn't even real cheese. So not worth it. The last one had crepes though so I got one, but even then, it was disappointing, but at least it was probably only 500 calories with the fillings I got (ham, cheese and tomatoes).

And turkey legs... yeah. That's like 1200 calories a leg.

Now, the food truck festival... bring it on!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Elephant ears! It's the only reason I go. Aaaaaaaand it'll probably be the only thing I eat that day. Calories. Pfft.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm in artichoke & garlic country, so fried artichokes and garlic fries!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    State fair mini doughnuts, 210 calories for four.

Fresh lemonade, 240 calories.

http://www.rd.com/food/fun/calorie-count-of-your-10-favorite-fair-foods/

I've dealt with fair food by closing my eyes while I eat it. Then it doesn't count.
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It was always sausage and peppers, and sugar-covered fried dough for me. Celiac disease has put the kibosh on that, sadly, but boy do I remember those both fondly <3
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Elephant ears! It's the only reason I go. Aaaaaaaand it'll probably be the only thing I eat that day. Calories. Pfft.

Elephant ears are seriously one of my favorite foods ever, and I live in Canada where they are really hard to find. But every year when I go to Cedar Point in the fall I make it a point to have two - one each day I'm there! Going in a couple of weeks and I will be eating two and not regretting it at all.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok they don't do elephant ears at fairs here. I guess it must be a local thing? This is what I think about when I hear about them...

cookies-palmier.jpg
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm not into most fair food either, but I do love our Belgian waffles. Crispy waffle, whipped cream, and fresh (ok, freeze-thawed, but at least there's no syrupy stuff on them) strawberries. A bucket-load of powdered sugar if I forget to tell them not to add it. I hate the way that stuff gets everywhere.

I also like the fair's black-eyed peas. They're nothing special for that kind of thing, but I don't ever make them and don't go to restaurants that serve them.

Once upon a time, I'd go for the bratwurst with mustard and sauerkraut. But something changed and now they're too greasy for me.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    We have a big fair every year that I go to. It has been my "free" day for probably over 20 years. I ALWAYS share a small clam chowder, share a smoked salmon stick (with like 10 people), try as many dips and soups as I can sample, sample cheese, and I share a gyro. I can't wait - I'm going Saturday :)

That's also an entire day worth of food, so it's not that bad.
  • MommyL2015
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Take some dough, deep fry it and put some powdered sugar (or your favorite topping) on it and you have one tasty elephant ear. :) I don't want to live in a world where they don't exist. :(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A local delicacy at the food fairs here are green onion cakes.
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I go for the Funnel Cakes covered in powdered sugar.. such joy... and a fresh squeezed sweet lemonade... it is the best thing around... then occasionally get Corn-dogs... cotton candy... and the occasional fudge and turkey leg. All the above split with my wife...
  • Francl27
    edited September 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I'm not into most fair food either, but I do love our Belgian waffles. Crispy waffle, whipped cream, and fresh (ok, freeze-thawed, but at least there's no syrupy stuff on them) strawberries. A bucket-load of powdered sugar if I forget to tell them not to add it. I hate the way that stuff gets everywhere.

I also like the fair's black-eyed peas. They're nothing special for that kind of thing, but I don't ever make them and don't go to restaurants that serve them.

Once upon a time, I'd go for the bratwurst with mustard and sauerkraut. But something changed and now they're too greasy for me.

Oh yeah. That was my pick at the last food truck festival... Belgian waffle with caramel and ice cream. So, this

b7135d_09b89be21e4e5f88a7519cddca0ad994.jpg_srz_1305_870_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Sadly we don't have those in most of the fairs here either. I'm starting to feel deprived.
  • MommyL2015
    Options
    I go for the Funnel Cakes covered in powdered sugar.. such joy... and a fresh squeezed sweet lemonade... it is the best thing around... then occasionally get Corn-dogs... cotton candy... and the occasional fudge and turkey leg. All the above split with my wife...

Nuh-uh. Funnel Cakes are just elephant ear wannabes! LOL They have those here, but they're too crunchy for me. Either that or they just cook them too long here or something.

I split mine with NO ONE. To hell, he who tries to snag a piece of my precious.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mmm cream puffs and a variety of smoked meats

At first i thought you were talking about Faire food
    turkey legs, gelato, falaffel, fried dragon tails, pretzel dog, sassafras, mead, absinthe, and cider. last day i was there i think i did 20k steps in full garb.
  • changeNeeded87
    changeNeeded87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    All I need is a funnel cake with powdered sugar, a good burger, a slice of pizza and a chicken gyro :)