Are calorie intake too low?

Options
2»

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I've tweaked it a bit. I've changed my settings to 'Lightly Active' rather than 'Sedentary' and moved it down to 1.5 lbs a week. Gave me just a bit under 2000 cals. I hope I don't get any glitches. I just opened this account 3 days ago and I'm using it on a laptop. Hopefully it'll work properly as my 'Your Daily Goal' on my food diary has changed in the past 3 days that I've recorded my food intake. Two out of those three days have the same result of about 15 lbs in 5 weeks. I'm ok with that.

You will be fine!! Welcome to MFP!!
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    After 6 months holding close to Maintenance. Mine is now set to Sedetary and 1.5 lbs a week which gives me a calorie goal of 1500 a day. This really isn't difficult to achieve, you just have to make the right choices of filling food that are not too calorie dense. Doing cardio exercise and burning extra calories will enable you to eat more anyways (Today I ran 5K and added 21 minutes of eleptical which gave me an extra 771 calories.......yes the steak was awesome. If you really are "sedetary" and set to "light active" you may not get the results you are looking for. I like to think of myself as having defeated obesity and trust me if I did it, anyone else can too. Its a long road ahead but one worth travelling.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I've tweaked it a bit. I've changed my settings to 'Lightly Active' rather than 'Sedentary' and moved it down to 1.5 lbs a week. Gave me just a bit under 2000 cals. I hope I don't get any glitches. I just opened this account 3 days ago and I'm using it on a laptop. Hopefully it'll work properly as my 'Your Daily Goal' on my food diary has changed in the past 3 days that I've recorded my food intake. Two out of those three days have the same result of about 15 lbs in 5 weeks. I'm ok with that.

Wonderful! Welcome, by the way. :smile:
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

I'm no maths genius here but if you have it set to 1.5 or 2 pounds per week, but mfp is saying 15 pounds in 5 weeks, doesn't that mean you are under eating?

1.5/2 pounds a week is 7.5/10 pounds in 5 weeks not 15.

Or is there some other factor I am missing? Make sure your eating over 1500 calories, getting enough protein etc but probably best to eat as close to the number you were given, 1900-2000.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Stay above 1200, you be good.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've just opened up my account a few days ago and MFP shows that my goal calorie intake should be just under 1400 cals a day. As a 37 male who weighs 220 lbs and is 5'9" tall, should my daily calorie intake be that low? I don't know much about this, but seems a bit low. My goal is to lose 40 lbs. I'm not worried about how long that could take, I'm just a bit concerned about the calories being too low. Or is that more or less a normal range?

According to MFP and the stats you listed, your BMR is 1,898kcal/day. If you are sedentary, then maintenance is 2277kcal/day. If you want to lose 1.5lb/week, that is ~1530kcal/day. If you set it to lightly active, it would be ~1880kcal/day to lose 1.5lb/week. MFP will not suggest lower than 1500 calories for a guy, if it did, you entered something wrong (like saying you are a female).

You then have to log and eat back your exercise calories. If MFP is saying you will lose 3lb/week, then you are under-eating your goal either by not eating back exercise calories or not even eating what you were originally given.
  • FernandoAnguiano
    Options
    This is the info I've put in when I first started. The only difference was that in the beginning I had it set up at 'Sedentary' with 2 lbs a week to lose. It was giving me 1390 cals a day to eat. Now sure why some of you guys got different results.
    4fckeod34zfk.png

Now that I've changed it up to 'Lightly Avtive' with 1.5 lbs to lose, this is my result.
    g23dpdj2my6c.png

I'm pretty stoked about all this and I really appreciate everyone's help. Glad to know there's a whole lot of you guys willing to help.

• queenliz99
    Options
    No such thing as "too low calories" for weight loss, no.such.thing

There is too such a thing.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Nope that doesn't make any sense. You eat less calories to lose weight, maybe what you're referring to is what most would call the "healthy way".

I stand by my words.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Nope that doesn't make any sense. You eat less calories to lose weight, maybe what you're referring to is what most would call the "healthy way".

I stand by my words.

Well your words are wrong

How are they wrong?
  • queenliz99
    Options

I stand by my words.

Well your words are wrong

How are they wrong?

Because it's bs to say that there's too low of a number of calories to lose weight. That would completely defeat the purpose of eating less to lose weight in the first place. As long as you have a deficit, no matter how big or small you WILL lose weight. It's science. Now how many you SHOULD eat to "healthily" lose weight is a different argument that I won't get into.

My point was you said there no such thing as eating too few calories. But some die if they eat too few.

Your reemphasis "too low calories" with the no.such.thing is simply not true. You need to be careful how you make statements and to be sure the things you say they are correct.