Anyone want to do whole 30?

Options
I'm looking to do whole 30 starting this weekend and would love some support. Anyone want to join?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing it?
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    I have pcos and need to cut my reliance on simple carbs and sugars. This will make me focus on healthy proteins, fruits, and vegetables instead. Then I can work them back into my diet in a healthy way.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Whole 30 is an elimination diet for the purpose of identifying food allergens and sensitivities. I'd recommend saving the money and just changing your macro intake on MFP.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your Journey I'll support you 100% with no financial advice..lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and need to cut my reliance on simple carbs and sugars. This will make me focus on healthy proteins, fruits, and vegetables instead. Then I can work them back into my diet in a healthy way.

Out of curiosity, why can't you just do this?

I have nothing against Whole30 if you want to try it -- I personally wouldn't because I think some of the rules eliminate foods that are nutrient dense and add to a healthy diet without good reason (specifically legumes, the old rule about potatoes, which I believe has been changed, and dairy) -- but I never understand why people don't just start eating more whole foods or a healthier diet if that's the goal, rather than do the extreme change all or nothing thing.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I just got off it but I would like to do it again at another time but not right away but feel free to add me I can be supportive bc i've been through it.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I have nothing against Whole30 if you want to try it -- I personally wouldn't because I think some of the rules eliminate foods that are nutrient dense and add to a healthy diet without good reason (specifically legumes, the old rule about potatoes, which I believe has been changed, and dairy) -- but I never understand why people don't just start eating more whole foods or a healthier diet if that's the goal, rather than do the extreme change all or nothing thing.

If healthy eating and weight loss were as simple as "just do it" then no one would be overweight in the first place.

One problem with pcos is that the body wants sugars and carbs even when it doesn't need sugars and carbs. I'm not choosing to eliminate them forever, but I need to break my bodies dependence on them.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    *Body's

• anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    It has also been Dr. recommended that I convert to a paleo lifestyle, and whole 30 is a great way for me to do this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

If healthy eating and weight loss were as simple as "just do it" then no one would be overweight in the first place.

Oh, that's not true. It is simple -- that doesn't mean it's easy. Many people prefer eating in an unhealthy way or may eat too much even when eating a pretty healthy diet.
    One problem with pcos is that the body wants sugars and carbs even when it doesn't need sugars and carbs. I'm not choosing to eliminate them forever, but I need to break my bodies dependence on them.

IMO, that kind of thing is a habitual or emotional dependence. And cutting things out might help with that--I actually dropped added sugar myself for a period of time to help break some emotional eating habits and teach myself I didn't need it. Of course, if you really think it's a physical dependence (well, it is in that you NEED food to live), then cutting for a while doesn't work -- the dependence would come back as soon as you ate the foods again. What helps is to break the bad habits and create new ones. I think it makes more sense to do this by focusing on the kind of diet you want to eat long-term -- create one's own healthy diet.

Also, I think it's ridiculous that Whole30 cuts out legumes. I get why it cuts dairy (and even whole grains, although I don't agree with that, and I believe they've changed their position on potatoes), in that lots of people don't tolerate dairy well, but if one does dairy can be a really helpful source of protein.
  • ritchiehl
    ritchiehl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of the Whole30. Feel free to add me!
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    Regardless of all the above comments, still doing whole 30 and looking for support. Add if you're interested if supporting or completing the challenge with me.
  • ambutl03
    ambutl03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy and from what I understand the diet changes for pcos can be similar. I read the companion book and I recommend this book if you haven't read it already: "The PCOS diet plan" by Hillary Wright, M. Ed, RD - it's a natural approach to health for women with pcos.

Good luck on your journey regardless and If I had the money and was on my own (no kids or husband) I might try this!

I followed her diet plan for prediabetes and successfully managed my gestational diabetes without medication. It was much less rigid than whole 30 but still better than your average diet.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    Healthy eating and weight IS as simple as JUST DO IT, however the problem is many people don't JUST DO IT.

If all the extra rules and tricks of Whole30 help you maintain a deficit....that's fine. Do whatever gets it done, but when it all comes down to it, every single diet works by having you eat less than you burn. [/quote]

I know the calories in vs calories out argument and wholeheartedly agree, aside from the human aspect. We all have struggles that can get in the way from time to time. Whole 30 will provide temporary restrictions for me to overcome these cravings.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Some kind of structure - that can be regarded as restriction, and often more restricive for the observer than for the doer, I can see that ;) - and that addresses your particular struggles - is necessary to break a habit. I had monster cravings. I've never considered Whole 30 for myself though - I have used calorie restriction and calorie counting, and logging in food diary, weighing everything; I still meal plan and log food, don't eat between meals, and don't keep junkfood in the house. I eat most of the same things as before, but I am healthier, because my attitude towards food has changed enormously.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    Some kind of structure - that can be regarded as restriction, and often more restricive for the observer than for the doer, I can see that ;) - and that addresses your particular struggles - is necessary to break a habit. I had monster cravings. I've never considered Whole 30 for myself though - I have used calorie restriction and calorie counting, and logging in food diary, weighing everything; I still meal plan and log food, don't eat between meals, and don't keep junkfood in the house. I eat most of the same things as before, but I am healthier, because my attitude towards food has changed enormously.

I called them restrictions but I really don't feel that way about it. I already don't eat dairy, and so the only real change will be not having simple sugars and carbs.

I don't keep junk in the house either and look forward to continuing to change my view on food.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Some kind of structure - that can be regarded as restriction, and often more restricive for the observer than for the doer, I can see that ;) - and that addresses your particular struggles - is necessary to break a habit.

Nicely put.