female bulking question!!

Options
2»

Replies

• _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    It depends on you n how quickly u can put it on (N muscle at that) people bulk anything from 1-6+ months if u monitor your fat gain (callipers r good) Then u can determine how much muscle you actually put on
    iv been bulking for just over a month now. I aim for 0.5-1 pound weight gain every week. Planning on maintaining 8 weeks into my bulk for 4 weeks and then start my cut! Gutted that soon enough I won't be able to eat as much

ok, why are you only going to bulk for two months? At the minim you should run a bulk or three months….

It takes your body about two to three weeks to adapt to changes so how can you get any appreciable progress in two months???

I put on weight really easily, planning on bulking 8 weeks and then seeing how I look from there and then if I need to I will bulk for another 4 instead of maintaining. As a female I am already struggling with being a bit bigger then I used to so mentally its really frustrating but I know it will be good for me in the end.

Btw I appreciate your input, one of the ladies I train with Also told me to do a 12 week bulk.

Over here on a 9 month bulk like "sup".

Realistically though OP, you should bulk until your body's p-ratio (calorie partitioning ratio) starts to favor fat storage over muscle fiber synthesis.

For guys, the ratio become unfavorable after 20% bodyfat. This isn't exact because genetics play a role also, it's a rule of thumb mostly. For females, I believe the cutoff is 25% bodyfat.

This is the most time-economical approach. Once you hit the "ceiling", then you cut down to 15% (10% for males). If you cut lower than this, your body will have a tough time dropping fat without losing large amounts of muscle. It's especially important for females to take a gradual approach to cutting, because you can only build muscle at half the rate that guys do.

This is bulk-cut cycling in a nutshell.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It depends on you n how quickly u can put it on (N muscle at that) people bulk anything from 1-6+ months if u monitor your fat gain (callipers r good) Then u can determine how much muscle you actually put on

i am sorry but no one bulks for one month that is ridiculous.

Everyone is different u don't know my starting point or finishing point my training programme or what I plan to do after that there's no right or wrong it's trial and error And u can only speak for your own body thanks.

so you are going to bulk for one month and maybe put on two pounds...so .75 pounds of muscle and 1.25 pounds of fat...why???

yes, everyone is different but that does not change the fact that bulking for a month is ridiculous and spinning your wheels.

so what you are going to bulk one month, and then cut the next month, and then bulk again, and cut again ...??

that makes no sense, and you really should not be recommending that to OP as it is not accurate or helpful advice.
  • blissalexandra
    blissalexandra Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Everyone is different u don't know my starting point or finishing point my training programme or what I plan to do after that there's no right or wrong it's trial and error And u can only speak for your own body thanks.

so you are going to bulk for one month and maybe put on two pounds...so .75 pounds of muscle and 1.25 pounds of fat...why???

yes, everyone is different but that does not change the fact that bulking for a month is ridiculous and spinning your wheels.

so what you are going to bulk one month, and then cut the next month, and then bulk again, and cut again ...??

that makes no sense, and you really should not be recommending that to OP as it is not accurate or helpful advice.

I never said that Loool
  • blissalexandra
    blissalexandra Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
  • ndj1979
    Options

I never said that Loool

you never said bulk for a month ...really?
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    iv been bulking for just over a month now. I aim for 0.5-1 pound weight gain every week. Planning on maintaining 8 weeks into my bulk for 4 weeks and then start my cut! Gutted that soon enough I won't be able to eat as much

ok, why are you only going to bulk for two months? At the minim you should run a bulk or three months….

It takes your body about two to three weeks to adapt to changes so how can you get any appreciable progress in two months???

I put on weight really easily, planning on bulking 8 weeks and then seeing how I look from there and then if I need to I will bulk for another 4 instead of maintaining. As a female I am already struggling with being a bit bigger then I used to so mentally its really frustrating but I know it will be good for me in the end.

Btw I appreciate your input, one of the ladies I train with Also told me to do a 12 week bulk.

If you are going to run a successful bulk, I would highly recommend AT LEAST 12 weeks. Look at this this way if you are gaining .5 pounds per week, over a three months period that is six pounds. Assuming a 1:1 ratio of fat to muscle gain, which is generous for a female, you are looking at three pounds of muscle and three pounds of fat gained. If you cut that down to two months, you are looking at four pounds gained, which translates to two pounds of muscle and two pounds of fat....

I'm going to be bulking soon & that's pretty good info. I was going to try and bulk for about 4-6 months I don't know if that's good or not :/ gonna be strange eating a lot more and seeing the scale go up again too
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

If you are going to run a successful bulk, I would highly recommend AT LEAST 12 weeks. Look at this this way if you are gaining .5 pounds per week, over a three months period that is six pounds. Assuming a 1:1 ratio of fat to muscle gain, which is generous for a female, you are looking at three pounds of muscle and three pounds of fat gained. If you cut that down to two months, you are looking at four pounds gained, which translates to two pounds of muscle and two pounds of fat....
    This. Plus, and I may be unique here, but the first 4 weeks of my bulks are always useless. My weight jumps around like crazy at first, and doesn't stabilize until about 4 weeks in. If I tried a 2-month bulk, it would be one month of crazy fluctuations (water, glycogen, extra food in my system, etc.) and one month of actual progress.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

I'm going to be bulking soon & that's pretty good info. I was going to try and bulk for about 4-6 months I don't know if that's good or not :/ gonna be strange eating a lot more and seeing the scale go up again too

After reading your posts, I feel like you and I have the same goals and might even start around the same time. I'm hoping to do November-March.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

This. Plus, and I may be unique here, but the first 4 weeks of my bulks are always useless. My weight jumps around like crazy at first, and doesn't stabilize until about 4 weeks in. If I tried a 2-month bulk, it would be one month of crazy fluctuations (water, glycogen, extra food in my system, etc.) and one month of actual progress.

this too ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I would recommend having a goal weight in mind and since this is your first one plan on running it for three months and see if you hit your goal weight at three months and/or how you feel. You will be amazed at how much better your feel in the gym and how much more energized your lifts are.

• Samm471
    Options

I would recommend having a goal weight in mind and since this is your first one plan on running it for three months and see if you hit your goal weight at three months and/or how you feel. You will be amazed at how much better your feel in the gym and how much more energized your lifts are.

Well I weigh 122lbs just now I'm at 22.7% body fat as far as I'm aware , I used calipers I know they're *kitten* for measuring but I will take it! How much in those 3 months do you reckon is a good weight goal to set myself ? If I'm gaining say 1lb a week that would be about 12lbs? Also if I bulk for 3 months how long would I cut for roughly would I cut back down to 122lbs I have no idea on this lol

Your advice is good it's making sense totally :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Well I weigh 122lbs just now I'm at 22.7% body fat as far as I'm aware , I used calipers I know they're *kitten* for measuring but I will take it! How much in those 3 months do you reckon is a good weight goal to set myself ? If I'm gaining say 1lb a week that would be about 12lbs? Also if I bulk for 3 months how long would I cut for roughly would I cut back down to 122lbs I have no idea on this lol

Just remember, you won't necessarily need to cut back down to 122. You could literally cut to 130 and look smaller than you do right now at 122.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Just remember, you won't necessarily need to cut back down to 122. You could literally cut to 130 and look smaller than you do right now at 122.

this …

you don't want to cut so much that you lose all of your gains..

I am bulking right now. i started at 175 and my goal is to go to 190 and then cut back down to about 180, maybe a tad higher, and then see how I look. If I like the results I will just recomp for a year or something…

• Samm471
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

this …

you don't want to cut so much that you lose all of your gains..

I am bulking right now. i started at 175 and my goal is to go to 190 and then cut back down to about 180, maybe a tad higher, and then see how I look. If I like the results I will just recomp for a year or something…

Cool so really it's just kinda to look and see how I feel at certain weights? I hear ya on the not losing the gains. Can I still do some cardio while bulking and do you have to eat exercise calories back? I don't eat them back and I'm not sure how much I burn lifting weights for an hour. Oh yeah and I'm doing a 5x5 ICF programme should I stick to this when bulking since I'm a newbie or can I do something else?