Getting enough calories

Options
Collinsky
Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
It's just before dinner time here, and I have 900 calories left to eat today. There is no way I can eat that many calories in the next six hours. The closest I could get is if I started downing cheeses by the handful, which doesn't sound like the most sensible plan.

Does anyone have any idea how to get enough net calories, while eating at least partially clean? I need suggestions for higher calorie "good" foods. Protein shake, is that the best option?

I want to eat excellent foods that fuel my body AND I want to eat back my calories when I work out. But those two things are not lining up, and I need help figuring it out! Thanks!

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Try some peanut butter & crackers, or peanut butter & whole grain toast. I have a cereal that's high in calories but also high in fiber & protein that I'll probably be spooning into tonight see as I have about 500 still left to eat and I don't want a beer tonight.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Nuts - almonds, walnuts, pistachios.... avocado, peanut butter.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so too hard to comment. How many calories have you already had? Try not to go below 1200 and if you are gonna eat anymore make sure it is a protein based food!

Best of luck!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    what are your meals currently looking like? I occasionally have days where I eat way under like that. I'm mostly a clean eater too so its an effort to find the right good things to eat. My diary isnt the best to look at right now because my work schedule has been so wonky my eating has been equally so but I do best when I start the day with oatmeal (made with half water half almond milk and with things like nuts, peanut butter, chia seeds, dried fruit, nutella, applesauce, ect... mixed in) a dinner of around 300-400 calories including meat, veggies and a little carbs like rice or sweet potatos, lunch is usually 300 calories worth of dinner leftovers, or a can of progresso or campbells light soup and then i have several snacks which range from protein shakes (spirutein is my favorite!) raw veggies, bananas, apples, oranges, nuts, greek yogurt (0% plain with cinnamon, stevia & peanut butter mixed in) to something sweet like a few squares of dark chocolate, a dark chocolate covered frozen banana ect...

the best best best advice I can give is to pre-plan out your meals and stick to the plan like glue! when I dont (like this week for example!) I either over or under eat every single day.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I just had tuna salad on some whole wheat crackers, which leaves 638 calories left, which is a good number for dinner. I think it's going to work out perfectly!

I'm supposed to be netting 1200 calories a day, and getting that much has been something I have to tweak. I definitely run into the this situation when I try to make healthier food choices AND work out (and of course, I want to do both pretty much every day!) so higher calorie options are useful. Nuts are a good idea, I'll have to make a note for the next grocery trip.
  • Brinklj
    Brinklj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking about this, I'm having the same problem. For the first time in my life I'm having trouble with not eating enough. I get 3030 calories a day and I'm finding it more and more difficult to use them all up. It's kind of a weird "problem" to be having... I certainly didn't expect it. I feel like I'm eating and eating and eating all day. Yesterday I had over 1400 calories left over. Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    And here I was thinking I'm the only one!! lol.. I was just about to post a topic of the same nature... I am having the same problem... got some good ideas here ... thanks a lot.. and good luck to all of us!