Help! Can't stop snacking during the "night"

Options
Or day. I work night's.
I eat breakfast at around 9pm
I eat lunch at 2am
Then dinner at 8 am when I get home.
None of these are the problem. The problem is when I go to sleep around 10am, without fail I wake up at least once, sometimes twice during the day craving junk like pop tarts and chips. I can't seem to control myself and can't fall back asleep unless I eat the junk.
The calorie counts for these "snacks" frequently go over 500.
Any advice for me? It's extremely frustrating. I Can't just throw it all away as 90% of it is my husbands.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Save up calories from your other meals to allot for your daytime snacks.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein?
  • hannamuscha
    hannamuscha Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    This would only leave me 500-700 for the entire time I'm awake? I'm not sure how I would be able to make three meals from that?
    Are you getting enough protein?
    If you mean the goal that MFP sets for me, then yes usually. I'd say about 80% of the time. Sometimes I go over though, could that be a problem?
  • SarahM12
    SarahM12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. Night time is dangerous for me. I set a time to stop eating and after that j will not allow myself anything. It's hard but sometimes I'll even just go for a walk and by the time I'm done I won't want to eat whatever it was I was craving anymore.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    This would only leave me 500-700 for the entire time I'm awake? I'm not sure how I would be able to make three meals from that?

Maybe you should eat more than 1000-1200 calories? Perhaps your deficit goal is too high. I don't know your information, but maybe by eating 1400-1500 throughout the night you'd be less tempted by sugary foods during the day. Maybe you'd only need a 100 calorie snack at that point to tide you over.

• hannamuscha
    hannamuscha Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Maybe you should eat more than 1000-1200 calories? Perhaps your deficit goal is too high. I don't know your information, but maybe by eating 1400-1500 throughout the night you'd be less tempted by sugary foods during the day. Maybe you'd only need a 100 calorie snack at that point to tide you over.

[/quote]

Hey its worth a shot! 200-300 more calories is better than 500+ right?
    SarahM12 wrote: »
    I have this problem too. Night time is dangerous for me. I set a time to stop eating and after that j will not allow myself anything. It's hard but sometimes I'll even just go for a walk and by the time I'm done I won't want to eat whatever it was I was craving anymore.
    This is what I've been trying the last week or so, was it something that took you time to get used to and succeed at?
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am the same exact way!! I close the kitchen after dinner, brush my teeth after eating (because toothpaste makes you food taste gross), I take a walk to distract me , and I go right to bed. It works about half the time lol :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

I agree with this advice. I started at 1200 and after a while found I was pretty much alternating "at goal" days with "well over goal" days because I couldn't handle so few calories. I'm at 1420 now and find the slow and steady approach means no middle of the night cravings or big overages.

Many people here configure their macros to 40% carbs 30 protein and 30 fat. I find it tough to meet those macros (I'd need to eat even more meat and I'm already eating more than I have in years), so I have mine at 45, 25, 30. I think the default is 15% protein.