HRM questions.

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
as i have posted earlier, I just got my HRM!! (Polar FT4, has chest strap)

I have all my settings in there and set it up and everything.

I am doubting it's accuracy. I decided to wear it for 30 mins just sitting here. (because i am monitoring my HR b/c i think it may be too high)... I haven't worked out with it yet, but that is the main reason that I got it for - fitness training.

WELL. That 30 mins that I sat there.... my HR was anywhere from 110-150!! just me sitting... now I realize that is high. But calories burned was 148.

My question is this....

are these seriously the calories that I am burning while at rest?
AKA. can i trust this HRM for accurate calories burned while working out? (when I just wear it for walking/elliptical/etc)

*edit
because if I burn almost 150 calories in 30 mins of just sitting... that means 300/hr. that means around I can burn 7,000 calories in a 24 hour period... what am i missing here??? this CANNOT be correct??????

Replies

• nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's why you are losing so stinkin fast??? I should have mine in a few days... I am interested to see what I burn =/
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get one!!!
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    No that doesnt sound close to being correct, thats a crazy resting pulse.

I have the same HRM. Have you wetted the strap?

ill put mine on for half an hour and tell you the results
  • sarah307
    Options

yes, i have wetted the strap.. i know my resting pulse is high.
    it is correct HR b/c i did it manually too..but is this the correct calorie burn then!?
  • Tomclark64
    Options
    It's been a while since I had one by polar, but if I recall correctly you have to input some basic settings such as sex, current weight, height and activity level at the setting page. Check the manual on that model and make sure if they are a requirement that you have adjusted them for yourself. Normally speaking HR monitors are pretty close on calories when the setting are kept up to date. Your resting heart rate is quite high, so I'd question the accuracy of that as well. Have you checked your HR using the old pulse method to see if it is reading what you are counting?
    Hopefully the setting page just needs to be updated on your monitor, Polar's have a reputation of being among the most accurate so if your pulse check doesn't match up with what it's reading, I'd check the chest strap transmitter battery (If you have the chest strap that the battery is replaceable in) or take it back and exchange it if it's new.
    Hope you find something helpful here.
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options

it is correct HR b/c i did it manually too..but is this the correct calorie burn then!?

I am much heavier than you, and with an Average Heart Rate of 148 i burned 412 cal in 28 mins on the treadmill. So it may well be correct.
  • sarah307
    Options
    it is new
    all my settings are check, good.
    i have a high heart rate as I did check it manually... and my pulse was the only one beat off the monitor from me counting.
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options

If your HR is actually that high, you need to get yourself checked out by a doctor. Heart problems are no laughing matter, especially if you're exercising daily.

I suggest going to a local drug store and using their blood pressure machine, they normally have a pulse rate on there too. If it's still over 100, you should stop exercise until you can speak to a doctor about it. My fiance has a heart condition and he has to monitor it to make sure it doesn't soar too high. His doctor worries if his resting heart rate hits near 100 as that's the normal heart rate ranges from 60 to 100 with athletes being closer to 40. So, I'm sure you can see why I'm worried if you're saying it's normally 110 to 150.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not designed to be used to monitor resting activities or calories. Any resting calorie numbers for anyone are meaningless. The same holds true for casual, low-intensity activities as well.
  • sarah307
    Options
    that helps a lot!

I am going to talk to my doctor about it.
    and Azdak - thanks and i understand that.. it was just brought to my attention while wearing it. but i did just check my resting pulse with my carotid artery several times throughout the day and it was still high like that