Back fat

Options
I was wondering what type of exercise to do to get rid of back fat. Like right around the top of my ribs right below my shoulders. I don't have a gym membership but I do have 2 10lb dumb bells. Help please!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. Eat at a calorie deficit and lose fat all over.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    flys. sit, leaned forward at the end of a bench w the weights in each hand and with arms outstretched pull the entire arm backwards. like a wing..hence flys.
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    wide set pushups I find I really feel there; jus thave to make sure you have a nice form with a flat back.
    But sadly, as said above, fat will come off where it comes off. If you keep consistent with your deficit and continue to work out those areas you will hopefully be able to sustain any muscle already there and reduce fat! (I am no expert, just giving knowledge I have gotten from these forms :smile: )
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    isn't back fat a part of a pig?
    my grandma in law cooks with this all the time, she always needs back fat

No, that's "fatback." The layer of adipose tissue right under the skin of a pig; it's used in cooking. "Back fat" is a term humans use to describe fat that is located on their backs, hence the OP's detailed explanation of "Like right around the top of my ribs right below my shoulders."

OP, you can't spot reduce, the fat is going to come off of whatever locations it wants. You can do exercises like shoulder presses, reverse flys, pull-downs, rows, etc, to strengthen the muscle so you have a more defined look when the fat does come off, but the fat loss itself is going to be the result of a calorie deficit and patience.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    eat less, it will eventually come off.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, you can't spot reduce, you have eat at a deficit to lower fat overall.

Speaking of back fat, my mother said to me last week "Hey Lisa, your back fat is smoother!" Thanks for noticing mom! (she's a riot)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You definitely can't spot reduce and exercises that target that area would increase muscle mass, not burn fat in that area. This is regardless of the fact that you aren't going to really gain muscle while losing weight, so exercises that target that area are pretty much useless. Eat at a calorie deficit, lower your body fat percentage overall and your back fat will shrink along with all of the rest of it.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    lipo suction is the only way to spot reduce fat
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I finally got mine down it was alot of push ups, pull ups, p90x, leg raise with arm extension such as on jillian micheals beginner shred level 1. Walking lots of walking too. And of course eating less.