How to prevent friction on back of heels?

Options
I've had this problem since I was a kid. Every time I run, I get , well, I guess they're friction burns, on the back of my ankle/heel. Basically my shoe rubs against my sock and makes the burn. It really sucks. How do you prevent that?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Buy shoes that fit better. Wear higher socks. Wear band-aids on your heels. Do some combo of all three.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Duct tape. I know it sounds stupid but I use to duct tape my ankles when I ran. I haven't done it in a while because I got shoes that fit properly. Which is your problem, go get fitted at a store that caters to runners. Not Academy or Foot Locker.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    More than likely, wrong shoe size/fit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Seconding this. The person who taught me called it the "heel lock" lacing technique. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, it's completely changed my performance on runs.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Third. That's how I tie my shoes now.

If you go the tape route, I recommend using Leukotape P sports tape over duct tape. Leukotape will stick throughout your run (I've used it on a 13 mile run, forgot to take it off and had it on the rest of the day) yet will pull off with no residue when you're done.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You either need better fitting shoes (go to a running store and have them properly fitted) or lock your laces.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend new shoes. For some, the lacing trick causes more problems than it solves (like me).
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Are there any running shoes you would recommend? I bought the current ones I own art old navy and they are definntely not high quality but will last until i can afford good quality running shoes. But there are so many out there, i don't know where to start.
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you are located, but it you are like me and like to wear ankle socks while wearing shorts or capris when running and your socks always fall down, Old Navy has these cool socks they call running socks and they have this section of the heal that has an extra piece of fabric. They are great!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Are there any running shoes you would recommend? I bought the current ones I own art old navy and they are definntely not high quality but will last until i can afford good quality running shoes. But there are so many out there, i don't know where to start.

Stop right there. You need to better shoes if you're going to be running. Find a running store, have them watch you run and let them help you find a pair of shoes that work for you. There's no way any of us here can recommend a good shoe.

• Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Stop right there. You need to better shoes if you're going to be running. Find a running store, have them watch you run and let them help you find a pair of shoes that work for you. There's no way any of us here can recommend a good shoe.

What kind of running store? I'm not sure what stores do that. I live in a big city so suggest a couple and I'll probably be able to find one here.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The Running Room or Runner's World.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I put those foam pads (look like gray kidney beans) from the foot care section in the heels of my shoes. I also rub Gold Bond Friction Defense (or you can use deodorant) on my heels when there is a chafing problem.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Yep. Old Navy's not going to cut it for shoes. There are running stores around that will help. I went to Boulder Running Co. in Denver. They took a video of me running, tested several shoes and several more inserts. I ended up buying a super nice pair that has spared me of ~90% of the knee pain I was experiencing from my old ones.

The only catch is affordability. My running shoes cost me a LOT more than I was originally willing to pay. If you can't afford a running store's prices, then at least do some research on the Internet and find a well-reviewed pair you can purchase. When/if you do this though, don't let them get too old. Running shoes get a lot of wear-and-tear, so if you buy a pair that feels good to you now, don't count on them staying that way for a long period of time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

What kind of running store? I'm not sure what stores do that. I live in a big city so suggest a couple and I'll probably be able to find one here.

Just Google "running store City State" and you'll get results.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    There are many running stores in your area. See Google map.

If you regularly have this problem over the course of many years and many different pairs of shoes, chances are you simply aren't lacing your shoes tight enough or properly.

But first, be sure you have a good fitting running shoe that is appropriate for you. A good running shop will look at your gait / form and biomechanics and put you only in shoes that will work for you. Ask about lacing. Believe it or not, many new runners get lacing wrong.

A good shoe that fits you, laced and tied properly, will fit your heel and not let it slide up and down. There are some tricks you can do with lacing to ensure a snug fit that doesn't feel too tight. Any good store ought to be able to help you there.

After all that if you still have issues, try finding Leukotape. It's a sports medicine tape that doesn't stretch, is quite thin, and has good adhesion even after your feet warm up and sweat. It'll protect areas from developing hotspots in the first place. Available on Amazon for not much $, one roll will last you years probably, especially after you get put in the right shoe.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    There are many running stores in your area. See Google map.

If you regularly have this problem over the course of many years and many different pairs of shoes, chances are you simply aren't lacing your shoes tight enough or properly.

But first, be sure you have a good fitting running shoe that is appropriate for you. A good running shop will look at your gait / form and biomechanics and put you only in shoes that will work for you. Ask about lacing. Believe it or not, many new runners get lacing wrong.

A good shoe that fits you, laced and tied properly, will fit your heel and not let it slide up and down. There are some tricks you can do with lacing to ensure a snug fit that doesn't feel too tight. Any good store ought to be able to help you there.

After all that if you still have issues, try finding Leukotape. It's a sports medicine tape that doesn't stretch, is quite thin, and has good adhesion even after your feet warm up and sweat. It'll protect areas from developing hotspots in the first place. Available on Amazon for not much $, one roll will last you years probably, especially after you get put in the right shoe.

Do not go to Foot Locker, Kohl's, or new Balance. Even though new balance has great running shoes, they do not necessarily work for everyone. You want a store that will analyze your gait and recommend different brands that will fit your specific foot and gait. Foot Locker just sells shoes with no special training towards running. Kohl's and Target are just department stores. They may or may not have the right shoe but no one there specially trained to tell you which one is the best. They will most likely point you to the right section and say, we got running shoes. That's about it. Same with Foot Locker. Champs sounds like a generic sports store that sells shoes.

Fleet Feet is good. First Gear I never heard off, may be a small local mom and pop running store, but looks promising from the website. Finish Line sounds like a generic shoe store like Foot Locker. I don't know if they have specialized people that will have you the way Fleet Feet or First Gear would. But here is how you can tell.
    When you walk in and ask for help, what do they do? Will they analyze your foot for arch type and then have you run on a treadmill and watch how you run? Or is the first thing they ask is, you know what brands you like? if it is the second, try a different store.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    In addition to the right shoes, you will want running socks. Something non-wicking that will take the moisture away. With regular cotton socks, the sweat from your foot get's trapped in your socks and causes excessive friction not only in your heels and ankles but all over your feet. My wife would always get blisters from running, but after she got the right socks, no more blisters.