Munchy time ideas...

Options
I'm coming to the understanding that one time of day will always be hard for me, and I need some ideas on what I can allow myself to eat without limit during this time because NOT eating at all is just not realistic... Pre-dinner time. The time between when I get home from work and when I get dinner on the table. I'm cooking dinner, so not being in the kitchen or just staying away from food is not an option. :-)

Any ideas on what I can eat that will satisfy the munchies (taste good and allow me to keep going back for more) during this time? I've been doing tortilla chips with salsa, but the chips get pretty pricey calorie-wise. I think a little bit of crunchy helps me unwind from the day. But I don't think carrot sticks will do... What ideas does everyone have?

Replies

• shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I read that eating a dozen almonds before you eat a meal will make you eat less at the meal so that might help kill 2 birds with one stone? Does chewing gum while you're cooking maybe help curb the urge to snack & nibble?
  • jvinsanity90x
    Options
    Personally, I do enjoy a good Protowhey Protein Bar. I only eat half if I'm labeling it as a "snack". But any good protein or replacement meal bars should be fine. If I may add, I drink a good glass of chocolate shakeology, which just taste wonderful and definitely will fight your cravings. It taste just like chocolate soft serve ice cream ;-)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My favorite is dry, unsweetened breakfast cereal. Cheerios, Kix, mini shredded wheat, etc. I pre-package portions so I can log it easily (no snacking out of the box!) and only allow myself to eat one piece at a time, no handfuls. The added benefit of extra vitamins and iron doesn't hurt either.
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    if you really like your chips and salsa, you could make your own tortilla chips by baking thin yellow corn tortillas in the oven (you get 2 tortillas for 70 calories) I make 8 chips from each tortilla, so 16 total and a 1/4 salsa should keep you under 100 calories. I also like snacking on raw veggies dipped in fat free sour cream mixed with green onion, garlic and onion powder. I also agree with the breakfast cereal, you get a whole cup of plain cheerios for 100 calories, and its healthy too!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    snap peas and/or baby carrots! or red pepper strips. something crunchy.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Nuts, rice cakes (although you gotto check them, some are just really as bad for you as a king size candy bar).
    I almost always have a snack while fixing dinner, you are not alone!
  • trailmom101
    Options
    Thanks all. Some good ideas! I like the cereal idea, especially because I can make it last a while if the pieces are small enough.
  • MrsK612
    MrsK612 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I drink water...and munch on grapes. The water (from both) helps to fill me up.
  • dgarblik
    dgarblik Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Angies lite Ketle Corn. I's amazing and you can eat a lot with minimal damage.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I chew gum alot at night so I don`t over eat.I love air pop popcorn at night,it`s crunchy and fills me up.
    jane
  • Karima2725
    Options
    I like to eat apple slices...they are full of fiber, so it helps you stay full and you wont eat as much. They also have that crunch factor!! Good luck...:smile:
  • LeahBeah12
    LeahBeah12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled egg, string cheese, wheat thins and hummus, Kashi TLC granola bar... these are all my go to snacks.