How did losing weight impact your social life?

Options
2»

Replies

• barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The biggest change for me is that now I want to go out and DO something. Not just sit on a bar stool and drink. I want to take a dance class and then have a glass of wine afterwards. My tolerance is lower. My confidence is way up and my social anxiety is gone. I use to avoid doing the things that intrigued me like rock climbing because I didn't want to be the fat girl on the wall. That doesn't happen anymore.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm an introvert. Meh. But I do different things now. I've done Karaoke for the first time in my life. I go on fun runs. I trek around my neighbourhood and take walks with my hubby to the local Tim Horton's. There are some great people who cheer me on and a few odd ducks who do their best to suck in their resentment. My old pastor asked me if I was "fasting". I think that was an attempt at a joke. I told him I'm running which just confused the heck out of him.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was somewhat social before, I can be extroverted and introverted. But the main thing that losing 115 lbs has done for me is give me energy and more body confidence. So, now I go out more and do fun things because I just have more energy!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm at 99 pounds down. It really hasn't impacted my social life at all. It could be due to my age and the fact that my social life really revolves around my son and his activities. I don't typically go to bars/clubs/parties any more and haven't in many years and I really didn't enjoy that all that much when I did go. It has made a positive difference in my confidence though and I enjoy going to social engagements more.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Not nearly enough yet. Working on it!
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A random man in a store flirted with me -- for the first time in years and years. Maybe it was the weight loss or maybe the increased self confidence as a result of the weight loss but it felt great!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    It made it harder. I don't enjoy eating out as much any more because I have guilt that I never had before. Even when I'm in my calorie goals I just think about how much I could have had. That being said I did fall in love with Sky Zone and I'm not sure I would have been able to handle as much of it before I lost weight.
  • lexiJ95
    lexiJ95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I've lost 22# over about 2 months and my social life has gone through the roof! I'm not nearly as embarrassed to go out, talk someone up, or make conversation with a stranger. My self confidence is through the roof after losing just 20#. Weight loss can be life changing!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Mine hasn't changed. I'm a social introvert and that's reflected in how little I go out, go to parties, how long I stay at parties, etc. My husband is an introvert as well so neither of us pushes the other to do much in the way of socializing.

I probably smile and make eye contact with strangers more now but haven't noticed anybody paying any more (or less) attention to me than they did in the past.
  • fletwock
    fletwock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Work has become harder for me. I work primarily with females and after I lost the first 30 pounds they immediately began commenting on my clearer skin, how thin I looked, and how much energy I had. They were all excited at first but now that I'm trying to work off this last 20 pounds (which will put me at roughly 115ish on my 5'2" frame) they are VERY hostile. The company I work for has quite a few employee lunches and every time someone has a birthday they are expected to bring treats of some sort. If someone catches me partaking in the goodies I immediately get: "Can you even eat? How many calories are in that? Aren't you going to have to run for, like, three hours just to burn that off?" It offended me at first but now I just shrug, smile sweetly, and say, "I don't know how many calories are in this but *takes a huge bite and continues with a full mouth* it's freakin' delicious!" More often than not this shuts them up. Lol.

My roommate also has become increasingly hostile because my weight loss journey coincided with her doctor telling her she was pre-diabetic and needed to lose weight. Now that I've lost weight she constantly talks about it in a negative tone and relentlessly grills me on how many calories are in each item she sees me eat. When I plateaued she saw me eat breakfast and pack my lunch and dinner for work (the sum of which was below 1100 calories) and quickly remarked "WOW. You sure do eat a lot, huh?" I did try to get her on the MFP site, spent hours setting up her profile, and politely explaining everything to her but she gave up the next morning because "that site is too hard to use."

The good out of all of this is that I am more apt to play with my son now (which he loves) and my husband takes great pleasure in picking me up. People can hate all they want but making my boys happy is all that matters to me.
  • luzdelua
    luzdelua Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I gained more confidence. Then I met an awesome guy, and got married. I used to have this problem where I was so insecure about myself that I would sell myself short. After I lost weight and became more confident everything changed. I stopped paying attention to *kitten*****s in my life, and followed what I thought I deserved. I felt more confident in my skin, which allowed me to put myself out there more than before. My friends were mostly incredibly supportive and inspired. It's been an awesome journey!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    fletwock wrote: »
    Work has become harder for me. I work primarily with females and after I lost the first 30 pounds they immediately began commenting on my clearer skin, how thin I looked, and how much energy I had. They were all excited at first but now that I'm trying to work off this last 20 pounds (which will put me at roughly 115ish on my 5'2" frame) they are VERY hostile. The company I work for has quite a few employee lunches and every time someone has a birthday they are expected to bring treats of some sort. If someone catches me partaking in the goodies I immediately get: "Can you even eat? How many calories are in that? Aren't you going to have to run for, like, three hours just to burn that off?" It offended me at first but now I just shrug, smile sweetly, and say, "I don't know how many calories are in this but *takes a huge bite and continues with a full mouth* it's freakin' delicious!" More often than not this shuts them up. Lol.

My roommate also has become increasingly hostile because my weight loss journey coincided with her doctor telling her she was pre-diabetic and needed to lose weight. Now that I've lost weight she constantly talks about it in a negative tone and relentlessly grills me on how many calories are in each item she sees me eat. When I plateaued she saw me eat breakfast and pack my lunch and dinner for work (the sum of which was below 1100 calories) and quickly remarked "WOW. You sure do eat a lot, huh?" I did try to get her on the MFP site, spent hours setting up her profile, and politely explaining everything to her but she gave up the next morning because "that site is too hard to use."

The good out of all of this is that I am more apt to play with my son now (which he loves) and my husband takes great pleasure in picking me up. People can hate all they want but making my boys happy is all that matters to me.

I don't understand why your coworkers would pull the switch like that. It stinks! :(

The worst I get is when my two best friends/coworkers point at other women and say how much they hate their slim fit dress pants... while I am also wearing them. And then I always say "I'm wearing those" and they say "Well, not yours, they fit you differently". I really don't get what the big problem is. Material is the same. Legs are covered more than a skirt would. They still have the line pressed in the front. They're more work appropriate than jeans.. and less slim than the skinny jeans and leggings we all wear on Fridays.

Just bought another pair last night though, so I guess I don't care hahaha.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of gaining 100 pounds, I get way too much attention.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    No social life before, no social life after.
    is that through choice?

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!