Chest, back grow but arms not as much why?

Options
Need some advice. My chest and back have gotten a lot bigger more defined bit my arms only getting more defined not size why is this? My chest is about 42" arms are 14.5" Flex I am 164lbs 5"11

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    What exccersises are u doing
  • kieranpalmer1995
    kieranpalmer1995 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am doing body Splits like back one day chest the other legs shoulders arms the normally stuff.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Pull ups. Dips. Curl ups
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am doing body Splits like back one day chest the other legs shoulders arms the normally stuff.

You need more frequency. You should be hitting the same muscles twice a week or more. Bodypart splits are not optimal. You want full body every day, or upper/lower split where you at the gym every day and rest on the 5th day (with an extra rest day as needed).

Focus on big, compound lifts. Squats, Deadlifts, OHP, Rows, Pullups, and Dips should be the meat and potatoes of your workouts. Muscles on your limbs, especially your arms, are never going to grow as fast as large muscle groups like chest, glutes, lats, etc.

Steve Shaw on training frequency: https://youtube.com/watch?v=ivCZB0JEW_s
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try higher rep range for arms. I had same issue my chest back n shoulders grew fast but arms lagged. 15-20Reps minute rest periods and hit them twicr a week theyyll grow
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,847 Member
    Options
    My arms always grow faster than my chest ever does. Follow the advice here, and be grateful for such a problem, because mine is the reverse. I would LOVE a bigger chest.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Need some advice. My chest and back have gotten a lot bigger more defined bit my arms only getting more defined not size why is this? My chest is about 42" arms are 14.5" Flex I am 164lbs 5"11
    How are your arms that big at your height/weight? Are you 0.2% bodyfat?
    I'm 5' 10", 183lbs and just have a smidge more bodyfat than in my profile pic and I have 13.25-13.5" arms. I'd kill for 14.5" arms
  • FrankWhite27330
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'11" 226lb my arms are just shy of 17" infocus machine at nutrishop says I am at 18% bodyfat

how are you guys measuring I used a vinyl tape measure, around bicep & tricep flexed
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" 226lb my arms are just shy of 17" infocus machine at nutrishop says I am at 18% bodyfat

how are you guys measuring I used a vinyl tape measure, around bicep & tricep flexed
    Same method.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I would not trust bio-electric impedance machines for any kind of bodyfat % reading. Very unreliable & innaccurate. Calipers are good, BodPod or hydrostatic weighting are the only real ways to know within 1% accuracy.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Big compounds are what helped me. Bench, OHP, BB rows, lat pulldown etc. What seems to "polish" them a bit is after the compounds I throw in 2-3 sets of some iso work at maybe 6-8 reps. Nothing more than that.
    42 inch chest, 16 1/4 arms.
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Compound movements 2x a week, as mentioned above. I prefer the Layne Norton PHAT principal to lifting over any other routine I've tried. I'm 5'11" 200lbs, with 18.5" arms. I do very few isolation exercises for arms, but focus primarily on compound movements (Dips, Chest press, pullups, rows). I used to focus heavily on isolation exercises, but never obtained the size/strength goals that I wanted until I changed routines. Hope this helps
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've trained bro-splits for about 99% of my training life and I've gotten plenty of bicep/tricep development from this strategy -- as well as my whole body.

However, what I found and what it took to grow my arms was to pump a lot of volume in them -- lots -- and to do so was by isolating them.

For example...

1 ) Preacher Curls: Warm-up x 20, Warm-up x18. 4x8, heavy set x 6, heavier set x 4, even heavier x2 set and then AMRAP reverse pyramid down to warm-up weight. The following week I'd do Spider curls.

2) Seated dumbbell incline curls, 15x50, 20x40, 25x30, 30x20, 35x10, 20x 3 sets AMRAP. No break between sets.

* And of course, progressive resistance.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Yeah, superset the arms with bicep/tricep exercises (no rest in between). Cables are good for this. Go fairly slow and controlled on isolation movements feeling the contraction. Concentrate on the muscle. Fairly high reps 10-15 on a weight 10% less than your max. Fill the muscles up with blood until the burn. You will physically see/feel them swelling up.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »

I would not trust bio-electric impedance machines for any kind of bodyfat % reading. Very unreliable & innaccurate. Calipers are good, BodPod or hydrostatic weighting are the only real ways to know within 1% accuracy.

Never said it was accurate on how it was measured... besides. I like many are looking for the number to decrease. 30 down to 29.... Ect. Doesn't matter if it's off 20% long as it repeats. And use same method of check to track loss/gains

• kieranpalmer1995
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    How are your arms that big at your height/weight? Are you 0.2% bodyfat?
    I'm 5' 10", 183lbs and just have a smidge more bodyfat than in my profile pic and I have 13.25-13.5" arms. I'd kill for 14.5" arms
    6foot I weigh 164lbs and 14.5 " arms flexed

• kieranpalmer1995
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Yeah, superset the arms with bicep/tricep exercises (no rest in between). Cables are good for this. Go fairly slow and controlled on isolation movements feeling the contraction. Concentrate on the muscle. Fairly high reps 10-15 on a weight 10% less than your max. Fill the muscles up with blood until the burn. You will physically see/feel them swelling up.
    Going to kill chest and arms now actually somebody link me to a program I can do to loss some body fat in 6weeks I am around 14% now
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

are you running a structured program or one that you designed on your own?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Going to kill chest and arms now actually somebody link me to a program I can do to loss some body fat in 6weeks I am around 14% now

just eat in a calorie deficit and the fat will keep coming off...
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My triceps are well defined all I do is hit a speed bag and 2 sets of rope push downs 50 reps heavy

5a8yzpgsxir8.png