Need help with the whole eating healthy thing!

Options
I'm a mother of three, part time employee, and plain just super busy! I just recently started working out 2 times a week but soon I'll be going 4! I feel like I've got the exercise part but really struggling to eat healthy. I'm also a very picky eater almost eating no vegetables. I need recipes that can mask vegetables if possible so I don't know they are there. Lol! If anybody knows any good recipes they'd be willing to share or a good blog, I could really use the help! Would love to find recipes I can pre make so I can make about a weeks worth of meals at one time. I'm also looking for friends to add to help keep me movitated on my weight loss journey and to help you! Thanks for taking the time to read! Add me by my email, pluriarte3@gmail.com

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

Well done on the exercise. For me, that was the last thing to to fall in to place so good job!

As for food, don't worry too much about what you're eating as long as you are sticking to that number! Your body pays attention to the calorie deficit first and foremost. I absolutely HATE fruit - apart from apples and bananas, otherwise I won't touch it. The only vegetables I like are broccoli and asparagus! I try and make sure I'm eating them but again, if I don't eat a single vegetable all day - I'm not going to beat myself up over it! Do what works for you, stick with the exercise, stick with the deficit and you'll be fine!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I was of the opinion that I didn't like veggies, too. Mostly because the veggies I'd had as a kid were always boiled to a fare-the-well and then had margarine dumped on top of their soggy selves. As an adult, when people brought veggie dishes, it was almost always broccoli, which I actually do hate.

Like so many, I was convinced that only health nuts liked veggies and they were deluding themselves about the fact that things could taste good.

Then I set about the business of getting healthier, which required figuring out how to make these things in ways I could stomach. I bought lots of new veggies. I started watching Alton Brown again - the veggie shows, which I'd always kind of blown off. "Give Peas A Chance" was the first one I rewatched. I bought veggie cookbooks. I worked at it like it was important (because to me, it was) and I found many new veggies that I liked and ways to make them that I liked.

I make edamame in many ways because it's a nutritional powerhouse and I love it...but none of the ways I make it are Asian. I am not sure why veggies get stuck into certain ways of making them and that's how everyone does it. Don't get locked into that kind of thinking. Be creative. Make the veggies the way YOU like them, even if nobody else eats them that way.

I still hate broccoli. If you hate something with a fiery passion, you do. But if you're kind of "Eh, it's not horrific, but it's not good," you should be able to find a way to make it that you like. Just work at it.

I am here to say that if you put in some effort, you may very well find that you like veggies, after all.

Watch Alton Brown. Get some veggie cookbooks - I think "The New Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone" is a great book and an excellent place to start. Check out the "Oh, She Glows" website. And go buy some new veggies!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can chop vegetables up into small pieces and add them to pasta sauce, soups or stir fry. Also, vegetables are so much better on the grill, so if you haven't tried that, I'd highly recommend it. Oven roasted is good, too, but to me....grill is best.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    There are so many different ways to cook veggies. The other day, my meal at a restaurant included asparagus wrapped in bacon which sounds delicious but I ended up (discretely) spitting it out because it must have been fried or something. I can eat just-picked-from-the-garden asparagus raw and like it lightly sauteed or grilled. Whatever the restaurant did more than ruin it for me - made it completely unpalatable.

I like my broccoli and green beans undercooked compared to everyone else so take mine out early. Have fun finding what works for you!

The best cook I know personally said never be afraid to experiment. If something doesn't work out, you can always puree it and hide it in soup, give it to someone else, compost it, or just throw it out.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My favorite way to pre-make vegies is to roast them in the oven. If you at least semi-like potatoes and carrots, try roasting the following FRESH VEGETABLES (start with fresh not frozen or canned! -- though i like some frozen veggies, honestly) in the oven. First cube them into ~.75-1" chunks, toss them with some olive oil, lay them out in one layer on a baking sheet, sprinkle salt pepper and garlic powder on top, then roast for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, take them out and turn them around a bit and sprinkle them again with some salt pepper and garlic powder, then roast in 10-15-min increments (turning them each time) until they're done. Might take some of these about 30-45 min, but it depends on the size you cut them. They're done when a fork can easily slide into them, but they're not yet mushy (many will have a little bit of black edges from their sugar content caramelizing) and they should smell like a shishkabob. Once they're cooked, you can eat them then, or store them in the fridge and just eat them cold, or reheat if you like. Toss with some italian/vineagrette dressing, if you like.

sweet potato, potato, carrot, rutabaga, turnips, sweet red peppers, pumpkin, parsnips, beet, radish, onion, leeks, brussels sprouts, daikon, yam, yuca, jicama, breadroot

Until you have tried at least 80% of the above, you are not allowed to say you don't like vegetables. After the above exercise you can move into roasting/steaming/sauteeing the following vegetables (preferably in butter and add some salt pepper and garlic powder at the end), or just try them raw and see if you like them:

kale, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, carrots, onions, sweet red pepper, fresh sweet corn (raw won't work), asparagus, bok choy, cabbage, collards, swiss chard

Again, until you have tried at least 80% of these raw and sauteed in butter, you simply aren't allowed to claim you don't like vegetables. Try any of these (but the corn) raw with some cesar or ranch dressing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    roasting and grilling do wonderful things to vegetable.
    spices also make a huge difference

find ones that work for you
    i like grilled and roasted asparagus.
    pureed tomato
    broccoli any way
    boiled/steamed cauliflower
    fresh carrots, cucumbers, snap peas
    peas and green beans any way
    fresh spinach
    romaine lettuce fresh

do not give me cooked carrots or spinach. i will not eat them. and you might end up wearing them
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    My favorite way to pre-make vegies is to roast them in the oven. If you at least semi-like potatoes and carrots, try roasting the following FRESH VEGETABLES (start with fresh not frozen or canned! -- though i like some frozen veggies, honestly) in the oven. First cube them into ~.75-1" chunks, toss them with some olive oil, lay them out in one layer on a baking sheet, sprinkle salt pepper and garlic powder on top, then roast for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, take them out and turn them around a bit and sprinkle them again with some salt pepper and garlic powder, then roast in 10-15-min increments (turning them each time) until they're done. Might take some of these about 30-45 min, but it depends on the size you cut them. They're done when a fork can easily slide into them, but they're not yet mushy (many will have a little bit of black edges from their sugar content caramelizing) and they should smell like a shishkabob. Once they're cooked, you can eat them then, or store them in the fridge and just eat them cold, or reheat if you like. Toss with some italian/vineagrette dressing, if you like.

sweet potato, potato, carrot, rutabaga, turnips, sweet red peppers, pumpkin, parsnips, beet, radish, onion, leeks, brussels sprouts, daikon, yam, yuca, jicama, breadroot

Until you have tried at least 80% of the above, you are not allowed to say you don't like vegetables. After the above exercise you can move into roasting/steaming/sauteeing the following vegetables (preferably in butter and add some salt pepper and garlic powder at the end), or just try them raw and see if you like them:

kale, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, carrots, onions, sweet red pepper, fresh sweet corn (raw won't work), asparagus, bok choy, cabbage, collards, swiss chard

Again, until you have tried at least 80% of these raw and sauteed in butter, you simply aren't allowed to claim you don't like vegetables.
    ^^^
    This! I just didn't like the taste of boiled or steamed veggies. Throw some olive oil on them and toss in a cast iron skillet or bake in the oven and score!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Don't forget garlic with that olive oil. Sauteeing works wonders with the garlic and oil (or butter if you've got the cals to spare).
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I don't know how good this cookbook is but if your library has a copy it may be worth checking out:

Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld

The recipes "hide" veggies in them, from what I've heard.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Ok, for the record, I don't like veggies myself. There are some I will eat, but for the most part, I just don't care for them. I know a lot of people say "Oh, fix them different ways and you'll grow to love them!" but that doesn't work for me. Part of the reason may be that I grew up eating mostly canned veggies, but we had a garden, so there were certain things that we ate fresh. And while there is a HUGE taste difference, fresh green beans still taste horrible to me! I stick with the few that I will eat, and while it doesn't give me variety, at least I'm eating some veggies.

With that being said, getting some veggies is necessary, so take a look at ones you're willing to eat and find new ways to prep them. Find something you've never had before and try eating some of it. I've also learned I'm much better with uncooked veggies than cooked. (Tempura being an exception. XD) Salads are good because you can get a mix of greens for the base, then put what you want on it. Greens in salad are there to get the toppings to my mouth, so I use started using mixed greens and raw spinach to do so since I won't taste it much. I know you can shred some veggies and mix them in with things; I've never done that but there are people that swear by it.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Smoothies with spinach and kale can be a great veggie kick for the day, but make sure your liquid is low in calorie as well as any protein powder. If you blend that up, you won't even taste it. Put some banana or other strong fruit with a low cal almond milk or something, and you've got most of your day's veggies (just pack in that spinach). Besides. spinach is a superfood. :smiley:
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, poke holes into with a fork, nuke it and scrape out the insides, taste just like pasta to me.
    You can also cut zucchini into long thin strips and mix it in with your food.
  • judymata
    judymata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My sister is the pickiest ever! Squash and zucchini are a few that I love. I also love kale! Pinterest has some great cooking ideas as well. Good luck! Keep up the good work!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I challenge you to try a new vegetable once a week and a new way to make it. You have children; they can learn to have fun in the kitchen with vegetables, like vegetable kabobs.

In the meantime, the slow cooker is the busy parent's friend. Make slow cooker meals like chilies and sloppy joes, also loved by children. These sauce based meals can do double duty by hiding extra vegetables like shredded carrots and shredded zucchini.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/

With all the time you save you'll have time to introduce that one new vegetable a week.