always full but only getting in 1700 cal?!

Options
I have been trying to gain weight for the past 4 months, very slow and sometimes regress, but my stomach cannot take any more than this! Do you think i have a stomach problem?

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Small, calorie dense meals throughout the day should do the trick. Not saying that is the case with you, but for me, the physical reaction I get when I eat a big meal (or any meal at all) is mostly psycho somatic. Sucks but there it is. If you finish a pizza in the evening and eat regularly throughout the day, you will be well over 1700. You have to really want to commit to gaining, though....
  • monkeybusiness2104
    Options
    I feel ya! I am going for 3,000 cal a day to gain because I have severe acid reflux and I don't feel hungry like I should. I am forcing myself to eat extra small snacks with high cal and protien like crackers and peanut butter. Boost protien shakes. Avocados. My dr always says. Eat every two hours even if you don't feel like it. Today I only made it to 2,600 cal. So full! It's going to be tough. We can do it! Gotta get healthy again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What kinds of foods you are eating? Because if you can't stand more quantity, you need to eat higher calorie foods.
  • scarlet56393
    scarlet56393 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is this a dense dinner? Microwave Macoroni and cheese with 2 tblsp of butter with a chicken breast and another tblsp of olive oil, with some dark chocolate as dessert
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Is this a dense dinner? Microwave Macoroni and cheese with 2 tblsp of butter with a chicken breast and another tblsp of olive oil, with some dark chocolate as dessert

What about the rest of your day? Can you open your food diary?

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me once, when I was slightly underweight "eat less healthily, eat more of what others avoid, ...do the opposite of what you would do to lose the weight"....sounds straightforward and simple, and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but it worked quickly....good luck xo
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

What about the rest of your day? Can you open your food diary?

agree, need more info.
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter & Nutella sandwich washed down with a big glass of whole milk. You have now hit your calories for the day...and you are welcome!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    JayWalk39 wrote: »
    Peanut Butter & Nutella sandwich washed down with a big glass of whole milk. You have now hit your calories for the day...and you are welcome!

Even if you packed an inch of each on you'd only be getting around a 1000 calories not 3000

OP, Have you tried bullet coffee? Great way to bump you up.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options

Try making real mac and cheese with real cheese, use chicken thigh, and milk chocolate. All of those are higher calorie items for the same meal.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Replace with double serving of pasta with meat sauce, replace chicken breast with higher cal meats, double the olive oil, and replace the dessert with pie & ice cream.

Roughly the same bulk for about twice the calories.

When you're trying to gain weight, calories are king. While you of course need to be mindful of getting enough nutrients, shoot for lower-bulk, higher calorie options instead of things like chicken breast, etc.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Try drinking some of your calories throughout the day. If you're a coffee drinker add a latte. Mix up a smoothie for example, I make a peanut butter, banana and chocolate smoothie that packs on about 500 calories, 1 cup of milk, 1 banana, 2 tbsp of chocolate syrup and 2 tbsp of PB, add ice and blend.
  • scarlet56393
    scarlet56393 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Try making real mac and cheese with real cheese, use chicken thigh, and milk chocolate. All of those are higher calorie items for the same meal.

it was annies organic mac and cheese, there are bo preservings in it

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

it was annies organic mac and cheese, there are bo preservings in it

That doesn't mean it's made with the same amount and calories as actually melting 4 different cheeses over thick noodles.
  • PJay787
    PJay787 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always felt the same way!! Just shove food down and keep eating until you feel like puking. May not sound too amusing, but if you wanna build up some mass, eat eat eat! Trust me, you will overcome this problem easily if you just force yourself to eat. Eat in proportions, small or however amount you're comfortable with. But make sure you have 1-2 really big meals or high calorie meals within the day.
  • cr4igw
    cr4igw Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd say try and drink more cals. Try 100g of oats, 60g PB, a medium banana and 400ml whole milk, blitz it in a blender and it's about 1000 cals. Add me as a friend if you like, my diary is open and may give you some ideas.
  • Justinr999
    Justinr999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I opt for more "shake" meals because I can more easily pack more macro nutrients into my drinks. Even without drinks, I need fiber to keep things moving as fast as I need to keep my stomach ready for the next meal.
    Try this: in a blender mix 1 package (2 if your blender will hold it) Trader Joes brown rice, 2 scoops casein protein, 1 scoop whey or whey isolate, 2 teaspoons fiber (psyllium is my fav), 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 cups milk, and water to thin it to where you can drink it. It also makes for excellent meals on the run so you can down a meal in 30 seconds.

Note that while brown rice is healthy, 16 servings of rice each day will expose you to unhealthy levels of the natural arsenic contained in the rice. If you consume this much, switch to white rice which has much less arsenic.