which scenario do you think this is?

vpsmith14
vpsmith14 Posts: 71
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I had hit a plateau several weeks ago. I have about 10-15 lbs left to lose. I wasn't losing at all. I do Jillian Michaels dvds everyday. A normal day would be Ripped in 30 doing 2 levels for a total of about 500 or more calories burned. Then later I hit the treadmill for another 300 calories burned give or take. I wear a heart rate monitor each time. I had my calories set at 1200 for a while and then hit the plateau. I always eat back my exercise calories within 50 cal. or so. When I saw I wasn't gaining my husband told me to up my calories a bit so I raised them to 1400. In 2 weeks I GAINED a pound and a half. What happened there? Husband says this:You ate enough food for your body to build some muscle, hence the pound. I say, obviously I overate and that's why I gained. But even then that doesn't make sense because that's nearly 7000 calories I would have had to eat and not worked off in order to have over eaten. Now I'm really scared to let my calories even go above 1100 thinking I need to cut way back. Any suggestions from you all would be great. Again, a normal exercise calorie burn for me a day is 500-750 or sometimes more. Do I keep eating the 1400 or drop waaaaay back in your opinion?

Thanks,
Tricia

Replies

• jncornet
    jncornet Posts: 2
    Normally when a plateau is reached, it's best to change your exercise routine and "shock" your body. A lot of people recommend interval training. Basically your body gets use to your exercise routine and need a change to get past the plateau. Hopefully, it's a short plateau.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Change up what you're eating. It sounds like you have it under control and you're eating the proper portions to maintain. So... (like the docs all say) swap out some of your "normal" foods for more fruits/veggies. (this, coming from someone who hasn't seen your food diary...)

Also, how much water a day do you drink? I notice when I don't change my eating at all but increase my daily water intake to 8-10 eight ounce cups a day I lose without trying. How about tea? Have you tried that as well? It's a great, Natural way to get rid of excess water weight (which women struggle with).

Good luck!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    all tea? or specif varieties?
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,304 Member
    From my experience, I have had to up my cals a hundred or so a week until I get closer and closer to maintenance every month or so. I've finally started losing again after a few months of being stuck because I was eating too few for so long. Completely my experience, but I was at 1200 for so long that I actually gained a bit once I upped them but now that I'm up to between 1500 and 1600 a day I've started losing again. Just a little, but I'm at the last 15ish so I'm expecting it to take a while. Good luck to you!
  • vpsmith14
    vpsmith14 Posts: 71
    I do eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I do pretty well with my water too and I am doing interval training. I don't do the same thing everyday. I guess I'm just wondering if this is a temporary weight gain from bumping up my calories or if it was in fact because I ate too much. Temporary meaning that it was a jumpstart to get my body to lose again.

Tricia
This discussion has been closed.