Recommendations on Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
I'm looking to get a heart rate monitor in the next month or so. I've never had or used one, and am looking for suggestions. Do you have a HRM that you like? Don't like? Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• snikles
    snikles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a Sportline I bought at ****'s Sporting Goods. Works great and the chest strap is comfortable (I forget I have it on sometimes.) Downside: It's not the easiest thing to navigate through the features and once I clear a workout, I haven't figured out how to save it.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I use to have a polar one but it wasn't working properly anymore but I had it about 3 years. I just replaced it with a Timex one. It was about $100. It has the chest strap and is for training. They had others for runners and different things . It seems to be pretty accurate. I have been comparing the calories to what my trainer says I burned during a workout and it has been right on so far. It seems to work really well. Whatever you do I would definitely get one with a chest strap, I haven't heard much good of the ones that don't.
  • jhandley27
    jhandley27 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a Proform TX 300. It's not the fanciest monitor, but it's only about $40 on Amazon. I like it so far, it works with or without the chest strap, which I like. I also like it because unlike other HRM I have used, it works pretty well when taking your heart rate while you are running. With other monitors I've used, it's been difficult to get them to read your heart rate while in motion, and since I use it when I'm jogging, that kind of defeated the purpose. lol Overall, I like it. It seems pretty accurate, gives me around the same amount of calories burned when compared to the preset exercises on here. Like I said, nothing fancy, and it's not the coolest looking HRM, but I don't mind it. For the price I paid, I'm very happy with it.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have Polar FT4s and LOVE them. -=) I don't recommend any other brand.
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am a big fan of Polar (one of their Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM's. I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with the FT7 - about $90 to $105, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at $349. I have seen it as low as $250 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

A great basic HR monitor is the FT4 (about $70 online). When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I had a Garmin 405cx, and would not recommend it. I ran their software update, and it got screwed up. Their tech support sucked.

I returned it to REI and bought my Suunto T3d. Absolutely LOVE it...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it!

Stay away from the TImex Unisex Zone Trainer... way overestimates on the calorie burn.
  • lam072
    lam072 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have used the Suunto T3 and loved it. My husband and I both use the download feature. It's a good way to keep track.

I presently wear a Polar FT40 and love it too. The web site is great and gives really cool stats. You can really stay motivated with the challenges and watching your progress. I would recommend the Polar brand. The one downside is that I can not find one that works for swimming laps.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have a Proform TX 300. It's not the fanciest monitor, but it's only about $40 on Amazon. It seems pretty accurate, gives me around the same amount of calories burned when compared to the preset exercises on here.

You have to be careful...most of the preset exercises on here are pretty optimistic.
    Hi,

I am a big fan of Polar (one of their Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM's. I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with the FT7 - about $90 to $105, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at $349. I have seen it as low as $250 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

A great basic HR monitor is the FT4 (about $70 online). When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/

I just ordered a FT7 on Amazon for $73 shipped. Can't WAIT to get it...but it looks like it'll be Friday =(.

To the original poster...do not for any reason buy anything offered at Wal Mart lol...it's just a waste of money. And most certainly don't buy anything without a chest strap. I highly recommend the FT4 or FT7 from Polar, based on my own research here, and on other forums. I chose the FT7 because it was only $10 more, and offered some serious upgrades to the FT4...the primary one being that the battery is replaceable at home, rather than having to send the unit back to Polar as is required by the FT4.

Hope that helps!

Cris
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    I had used an older Polar model for YEARS and loved it. I just bought a new one in the spring - the FT40. I LOVE Polar and highly recommend them. I finally convinced my husband to use one and bought him the FT7, which he really likes. In addition to wearing it for 'real' workouts, he's even worn it to mow the grass a couple of times to track how many calories that burns! :)
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I went to the web site and feel totally overwhelmed. :) Part of the problem is that I can't spend hundreds of dollars. Is there anything in, say, the $50 range? I didn't see prices on the site. What I'm looking for is something to accurately tell me how many calories I'm burning when I work out, and to easily let me know if I need to kick it up a notch or not, while I'm in the middle of a work out. Thanks in advance for whatever advise you can offer!
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    PS- thanks for those who wrote with info!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I went to the web site and feel totally overwhelmed. :) Part of the problem is that I can't spend hundreds of dollars. Is there anything in, say, the $50 range? I didn't see prices on the site. What I'm looking for is something to accurately tell me how many calories I'm burning when I work out, and to easily let me know if I need to kick it up a notch or not, while I'm in the middle of a work out. Thanks in advance for whatever advise you can offer!

There are some in the 50 dollars price range with a chest strap, but how good they are, I don't really know.

I know the cheapest Polar is the FT4 and can be found for around 80 dollars.. I also know that some people have found it on E-bay for cheaper. So you may want to hunt around on there...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

There are some in the 50 dollars price range with a chest strap, but how good they are, I don't really know.

I know the cheapest Polar is the FT4 and can be found for around 80 dollars.. I also know that some people have found it on E-bay for cheaper. So you may want to hunt around on there...

I paid $73 shipped for an FT7 on Amazon, with Free Super Saver Shipping.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My hubby bought me a Sportline for my birthday. Someone else mentioned it... I also don't notice the chest strap. And it works well with the equipment at the gym.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I bought a Cat Eye MSC-HR10 unit and while it works, it is hard to navigate and the number/labels are too small to see without my reading glasses (getting old sucks!) The other thing is it is not shielded, so if I run or cycle with it, I have to turn my cell phone off, or the numbers get all screwy. For example it said I had my HR at 240..... :noway: for 30 minutes.... ah, I think I would have noticed that :laugh:

Make sure the one you get is shielded, so other equipment does not bother it.

Cheers!