Putting myself first

Options
Hi all, I have been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember. I have noticed that every time anything remotely stressful or challenging occurs in my life, the first thing to go out of the window is my focus on good diet and exercise. Mentally I can hear myself saying "oh I can't concentrate on that right now - it's the least of my worries". So I would like to hear from people who have noticed that about their personality too. I am about 15 - 20 kgs overweight and 46 years old with high blood pressure! K

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You have to decide for yourself that you want to live a healthier life. Try to stay focused and not let the everyday stresses of life wear you down. It will help to have an accountability partner to help you along this process.
  • mintchocolategirl
    Options
    I'm the same way - and I"m around your age with more weight to lose. We have tricked ourselves into the "comfort of food" and while we get momentary relief, we are hurting ourselves in the long run. Someone said to me the other day about returning to a bad environment as, "the devil you know..." and I feel it applies here as well. Instead of taking that stress/grief/etc., and turning it in to a positive to make us stronger and tackle what lies ahead, we go back taking the easy way of placating ourselves with food making excuses as to why it's okay or is ultimately helping us get through the moment. That's at least how it feels to me. Hang in there and remember each day is a new day to pick yourself up and get back on track. You CAN do it. We CAN do it. Your BP will drop, your outlook will improve, and the pride you will feel in your ultimate success will far surpass that of the unhealthy food and the guilt that follows it. Take care.