Losing more than 2lbs per week?

Options
2»

Replies

• bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips everyone. I am 3 months post partum from my second child. Durin pregnancy I ballooned from 126lbs to 186lbs! I'm currently at 158lbs and I'd like to see myself back to 126lbs where I have been pretty much my whole life. My body is so different after the baby and adjusting to normal I was not sure what to expect. But I guess it could be worse then needing to lose 30lb
  • hislittlelights
    hislittlelights Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would add to the already good advice given that, if you are nursing especially, you make sure to pay close attention to your calorie intake and your milk supply. Too low calories and your milk supply will drop (at least it did with me). Also, your body is still healing from the pregnancy and delivery and adjusting to new hormone levels. All good reasons to make sure that every bite counts and that you consume enough calories. Good luck!
  • Neshmi
    Neshmi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just keep tracking and eating healthy. Your body will do the rest!
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    waituntil wrote: »
    As long as you're not eating too little calories, then it's okay to lose more than 2 lbs a week. Usually the heavier you are, the faster you lose weight. When you get closer to your ideal weight, it slows down.

If you're eating a healthy amount of calories like 1500 a day (depending on your body type and height and activity level), then you might lose more than 2 lbs a week.

My first week I lost 14 lbs. The next week 10, the week after that 7. I was losing 7 lbs per week for a while. Now I lose about 16 lbs per month, every month.

And my doctors say that's fine, because I eat 1800 calories a day.

^^^
    This
    My story is similar, if you have a significant amount of weight (fat) to lose then it can be done. It doesnt mean youre going to gain it all back, that is false dogma.
    I dropped 4-5lbs a week for 3 months, and as others have said it will level off. The body makes adaptations, and the reduced body size requires less calories to sustain itself. In my case I was still eating 2300 calories a day, with a high protein intake to preserve lbm.

The biggest reason for people recommending the 1lb a week is for sustainability, aka something that people can stick to for a good amount of time, anything too aggressive can make it difficult mentally.
    Just keep realistic goals and expectations, and make sure youre getting appropriate nutrition and calories

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other posts so forgive me if I'm repeating anything already mentioned (which I likely am!)

If you are in the first month or so of your plan, you are likely to lose at a faster rate. In my first month, I lost 11 lbs. After that, it 'slowed' to around 6-8lbs per month. Generally, after your first month - anything between 0.5 - 2lbs a week is expected! :)
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You really wouldnt want to do that because while you will lose weight fast, you will eventually gain it all back, and then some, because its hard to keep up with all that. Aim for 1 pound a week. Slow is good

This makes no sense. If you can exercise enough per week to have a 3-4 lb deficit ans still have energy then you can do it. I have and still do this. You are not going to gain it back unless you eat at a surplus. CICO.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Zombie post from January.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »
    You really wouldnt want to do that because while you will lose weight fast, you will eventually gain it all back, and then some, because its hard to keep up with all that. Aim for 1 pound a week. Slow is good

This makes no sense. If you can exercise enough per week to have a 3-4 lb deficit ans still have energy then you can do it. I have and still do this. You are not going to gain it back unless you eat at a surplus. CICO. People that make these statements are idiots.

I think she means rebound binge eating. Regardless, having a big enough deficit to lose 3-4 pounds a week is not recommended unless you are really obese. For those who are merely overweight it means netting nearly zero calories a day which is not enough to fuel body functions regardless of your "energy" (not to mention overtraining injuries).