Clothes don't fit me anymore and I can't find ones that do

Options
I started bulking in mid February 2015 and went from under 100 lbs to over 120lbs by end of May.

At that point, I started noticing a lot of my bottom clothes that once fit comfortable were uncomfortable. Basically, my entire wardrobe of underwear, jeans, and pants are all now too small to wear. I was wearing size 28 waist clothing and now struggle even in size 30. But I haven't gotten fat--my stomach has stayed the same (flat, lean, slight definition), if not more muscular than before.

I order my clothes in bulk to save significant money, so it's a big deal if I get the wrong sizes, because then I have to go through returns and re-order again and again. It's been so bad, I've been going to work in gym shorts. I've been going to clothing stores in person, and my estimates are off each time. I think this is because lots of clothing shrink after being washed.

When/if I start cutting, will my waist go back to size 28 (or could I get it even smaller?) What has been people's experience with bulking and changing clothing size?

Replies

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You need to go to stores in person. Try clothes on until you find ones that fit. Take them home and wear them. Wash them on a cool wash. I'm not sure where you are shopping, but clothes shouldn't shrink so much they are unwearable when you wash them! If they do you are either washing them in water that is too hot or they are extremely poor quality. Take them back or don't buy from that store again!
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Get some stretchy clothes.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Dude. 20lbs in 3 months?!?! Slowwwwwwww down your cal intake man. You are aiming at like 1lbs/ week, tops. You are on the dreamer bulk right now. Your pants should be getting tight around the thighs over time, not the waist. What bodyfat % did you start your bulk at? What is your cal intake & height/age? Level of training?
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling started my deficit in May and went from 195 to 161 end of August 34 waste to 30-32 . Very expensive new suits jeans / t shirts . I am now bulking and have gained weight . Old clothes have been stored just in case
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Wtf 20lb's in 3 months...
  • lilygarcia3
    lilygarcia3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you doing to gain? I've been trying but still nothing.
  • madeawesome
    madeawesome Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Eating too much food
  • Steve_Paul
    Steve_Paul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you were a musclcular 220 lbs or above then I could understand your issue but @ 120lbs you shouldnt have any issues finding corectly fitting clothes. You just need to shop around try differnent cuts & brands
    SLLeask wrote: »
    You need to go to stores in person. Try clothes on until you find ones that fit. Take them home and wear them. Wash them on a cool wash. I'm not sure where you are shopping, but clothes shouldn't shrink so much they are unwearable when you wash them! If they do you are either washing them in water that is too hot or they are extremely poor quality. Take them back or don't buy from that store again!

^^^ this^^^
    Try different brand and cuts of jeans @120lbs you should have no issues finding correctly fiting clothes.
  • sethbrandeis
    sethbrandeis Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »

I've primarily been shopping at American Eagle and Aeropostale, due to the quality of the brand and the price I get--usually $5 - $10 per jean/pant. I did go to American Eagle several times before bulk ordering. I was fitting into 29's at the time, so I ordered that size, but they ended up being too small. My most recent order was from Aeropostale. That time I did size 30 waist. The pants fit very well, but after a wash (I did cold), they were a little too tight. I think I probably have to go size 31 or 32. So I have been doing what you suggested. I also even brought in help from my mother.

_Bropollo_ wrote: »
    Dude. 20lbs in 3 months?!?! Slowwwwwwww down your cal intake man. You are aiming at like 1lbs/ week, tops. You are on the dreamer bulk right now. Your pants should be getting tight around the thighs over time, not the waist. What bodyfat % did you start your bulk at? What is your cal intake & height/age? Level of training?

I don't know what my body fat % was at the start and I don't know now. My trainer isn't too concerned about it. I don't think my thighs have gotten much bigger, but the muscles on them are a lot more visible (the ones above the knee).

When I was bulking my cal intake averaged around 3k. Height is 64 inches and age is 23. I was working out 4x a week.

When I was bulking I used the food diary app religiously and would usually average 3k calories a day.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Clothing is sold for the average person. If you are very trim the European cuts may work for you. If you are very muscly you may have to purchase pants that fit your thighs or chest or shoulders and have them taken in at the waist, etc.; for you by a tailor. They are frequently located in stores that do dry cleaning. Until then or while you are transforming from one body to the next, you may wish to wear polo shirts or cinch your too big in the waist pants in with a belt.