Tis the season of multiple baseball games........

Options
Cherilea
Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
so how do you keep on track? I have 2 boys in baseball which means games about every night . They both travel, so we are going here, there, and everywhere! Tonight was a rush out the door and a stop at McD's on the way home. I managed to stay under in everything except for protein. What snacks/foods do you take to games to keep yourself away from the concession stands? I rushed out the door w/o my apple and carrots so I ended up with a handful of dh's popcorn and a Blow Pop instead. :tongue:

Replies

• get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I used to do Subway instead of McD's and pack them an apple w/peanut butter to eat in a plastic bowl on the way to the games. I started packing salads for myself because it is seriously hard to find time to exercise if you work full time and your kids play sports - ESPECIALLY baseball!!! Cheese sticks, pack a water bottle, fruit, especially I liked eating grapes at their games. I also did beef jerky and allowed myself to have the sunflower seeds. Gave me something to chew on. Good luck, enjoy them at this age!
  • mcmcat13
    mcmcat13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try to take some 90 calorie granola bars or other low calorie snack foods (such as 100 calorie pack). Also there can be healthy options from fast food restaurants as well. For example when I go to McDonald's I usually get the fruit and maple oatmeal (290 calories), fruit and walnut salad, or the Southwest/Asian salads. If I am planning on being in an environment where I think I will splurge, I will eat fewer calories for my other meals. Good luck and keep up the great work! :)
  • bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    depends on what your watching....when I am doing low carb I grab a slim jim or beef jerky from the concession stand (beware of sodium level though)

If you can remember, put a bottle of water in the freezer and make it into a slushy drink by taking a sip and adding a drink mix packet...a few hours before the game and it will help with a sweet and cool refreshing treat.

Sometimes, we just talk about what we are going to eat when we LEAVE the ball park, that is really helpful for keeping myself focused and not eating any JUNK FOOD.

Good Luck!!!!
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that problem when my son was playing baseball for two teams at the same time. BUT, I just wanted to say that you need to make sure you treasure every hot, sweaty, long, mosquito ridden inning because in 15-20 years you will wish you could do it all over again.

And spit sunflower seed shells at other parents. High sodium, but it's worth it... trust me.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    cold cereal, air popped popcorn, almonds, walnuts, 100 cal snacks, yogurt, boiled eggs, cheese slices/wedges/sticks, any fresh fruit, cut veggies, protein drinks, tuna salad sandwich..I drive a school bus and on my long trips (sometimes 12+ hrs) I pack my entire day. takes some time, planning and prep, but much healthier than concession stands or fast food. good luck!
  • dhiggins8
    dhiggins8 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have two children 1 14 yr old Boy the other a 9 yr old daughter. Baseball and softball I keep the 90 calorie bard and an assortment of 100 calorie snack packs on a cooler in the back of the jeep. Well that works for me we some times stop like someone else suggested we stop at subway as well as mcd's for the kids.
  • Cherilea
    Options
    Thanks all! What great suggestions! I will plan ahead a little better for the game tomorrow night :smile: I forgot to add that I have a cup , that holds 35.5 oz, with me at all times and I fill it with water 2-3x a day. I love the slushy idea ...will have to try that soon!
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I also have this same problem!! I used to eat sunflower seeds to keep from yelling at the umpires and other coaches, now I eat them to keep from eating everything in sight!! They help me with the something going from hand to mouth syndrome.:laugh: I love my sons baseball, but consession food is hard for me! When we have to do McDonalds I get one of their salads, no dressing, better than nachos and cheese. I have started packing 100 calorie packs, fruit, etc. I hope it gets better!
  • Cherilea
    Options
    I didn't have that problem when my son was playing baseball for two teams at the same time. BUT, I just wanted to say that you need to make sure you treasure every hot, sweaty, long, mosquito ridden inning because in 15-20 years you will wish you could do it all over again.

And spit sunflower seed shells at other parents. High sodium, but it's worth it... trust me.

I treasure every minute! One day they are in preschool and before you know it, they are graduating high school and going to college. I'll keep in mind your sunflower tip! lol Believe me, it can be tempting at times!! :wink:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Pistachios, seeds, mandarin oranges, etc. portion controlled into little baggies. Dinner in the crock-pot so it's ready when you get home (recipes - http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/), teach the kids the value of healthy eating after a game with a healthy home cooked meal or as it was said Subway (even pick it up before the game). My parents usually hit the drive thru after softball games and we were all over weight...wonder why.